• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eye drops to use in conjunction with Isathal?

belfastyank

New Born Pup
Reaction score
One of my boars, Harry, has what looks like a hay poke. I noticed it Sunday morning. He looked as if he was squinting. The eye had a white spot and the entire eye looked a little cloudy. I wiped it with sterilised water and then wiped it with colloidal silver. I brought him to vet Monday morning. She used dye but said she didn't see any damage to his cornea so she prescribed Isathal, twice daily for 5 days, and booked a follow up. I have now been using it 3 days and I don't see much difference- possibly slightly less cloudy. Thankfully, he's eating, drinking and pooping ok. I'm just wondering if I could get an OTC eye drop to give him between Isathal doses? I've not used the colloidal silver since starting Isathal because I heard it can interfere with antibiotics, but would artificial tears, for example, be helpful?
Just as a side note, the same eye was damaged a few years ago when he fought with his cage mate. He got eye drops and it seemed to heal ok. I'm sure this time it's not the result of a fight, but I wonder if it's coincidence or not that it's the same eye that's affected?

Attachments

• IMG_20210111_204858.jpg
    IMG_20210111_204858.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 6
One of my boars, Harry, has what looks like a hay poke. I noticed it Sunday morning. He looked as if he was squinting. The eye had a white spot and the entire eye looked a little cloudy. I wiped it with sterilised water and then wiped it with colloidal silver. I brought him to vet Monday morning. She used dye but said she didn't see any damage to his cornea so she prescribed Isathal, twice daily for 5 days, and booked a follow up. I have now been using it 3 days and I don't see much difference- possibly slightly less cloudy. Thankfully, he's eating, drinking and pooping ok. I'm just wondering if I could get an OTC eye drop to give him between Isathal doses? I've not used the colloidal silver since starting Isathal because I heard it can interfere with antibiotics, but would artificial tears, for example, be helpful?
Just as a side note, the same eye was damaged a few years ago when he fought with his cage mate. He got eye drops and it seemed to heal ok. I'm sure this time it's not the result of a fight, but I wonder if it's coincidence or not that it's the same eye that's affected?

Hi!

Please be patient and persist. Has your vet checked for something firmly wedged under the lid that could still be scratching the surface?

You can safely use plain artificial tear gel (preferable to drops as it is easier to use and longer lasting in effect) from a phamarcy to help with comfort, hydration and supporting the healing process; you can use gel up to three times but have to wait for at least half an hour after applying isathal in order to allow the isathal to be fully absorbed. My own pigy savvy vet prescribes it routinely for eye injuries; eyes heal noticeably better and faster, especially in the deeper areas.

If there is no improvement within a week, please contact your vet; until then you have to give the isathal time to do its job.

Thanks for your reply. Hmm, I *think* the vet had a good look around the eye, but it was a little hard to see from where I was standing, as the examination room is layed out for social distancing.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will pick up some artificial tear gel tomorrow :nod:

Thanks for your reply. Hmm, I *think* the vet had a good look around the eye, but it was a little hard to see from where I was standing, as the examination room is layed out for social distancing.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will pick up some artificial tear gel tomorrow :nod:

All the best! Please always remember that any antibiotic treatments build up over a number of days to reach optimal efficiency. They are not hitting with a full whammy from the first dose. That is also the reason why you should always do the full recommended treatment even when symptoms have already subsided. Incomplete treatment is majorly involved in the growing resistance to antibiotics.

Back