• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Eye drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire W

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Eliza has had a few hay pokes recently. The vets always gives us Fucithalmic for cats dogs and rabbits and it always clear her eye up within a few days.

Instead of carting her (or my other 3 girls) to and from the vets each time this happens, I am wondering if I can just use human eye drops and if so, which ones?

P.s, when I say a few, I mean 3 times in the last year.

mojules

Reaction score
Sorry to hear Eliza has had so many hay pokes poor wee ladt :(

I know we prescribe Fucithalmic in the Eye Department where I work for human use but obviously I dont know the strength and if it would be the same as the stuff the vet gives out, sorry x

sharonS

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have used eye ointment that us humans use for conjunctivitous before, just don't use as much.

Midge&Panda

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
None of my younger girls has had an eye injury-yet touch wood but my old girl Sherbet suffered a few in her life time and although I always had a tube of ointment as an emergency treatment until I could get her to the vets she always went incase the eye became ulcerated and needed a stronger medication.

lily 74

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was told to use optrex infected eyes and I did for my piggie who had hay poked eye. Used one drop three times a day for 4 days and her eye is back to normal and no infection.

saved the £30 a vet would have cost and is okay to use:))

CrawleyGuineaPigRescue

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I too use optrex infected eye drops, make sure you keep it in the fridge and I am pretty sure it has a short life after it is opened.

To anyone reading this please get your vet to diagnose first, ask if you can use optrex as it does have an antibiotic in it that my vet (cant speak for others) is happy for me to use. He knows I use it for a particular piggy and is happy for me to carry on. Please dont just try it before a diagnosis.

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The key point here is that it is antibiotic-based eye drops that would be needed for minor eye injuries. The eye drops the vet prescribes, Fucithalmic, contans the antibiotic fusidic acid. Over the counter (OTC) human eye drops tend to be chloramphenicol based, which is safe for piggies so the one to look for Claire.

Optrex Infected Eyes is one, Golden Eye Chloramphenicol is another. (Ensure the latter, Golden Eye, is the one containing chloramphenicol, as Golden Eye make other eye drops too).

One drop 2-3x daily, and if the eye worsens, vet ASAP.

Claire W

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Thank you for your advise everyone :)

Laura, which out of the 2 would you suggest for hay pokes? I would only use it for a hay poke as I now know what one looks like but if it got worse or looked different to a hay poke, my girl(s) would be straight at the vet :) xx

Last edited:

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Both are fine Claire for hay pokes, but the one I keep to hand is Optrex Infected Eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.