• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eye injury - should I clean it?

Gullfaks

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I found my dear piggy with a red bloody eye just now - few hours ago she was completely fine. Before going to the vet - should I try to clean it somehow?
She is alone at the moment, nothing in the cage could have injured her as I have seen, except pieces of hay...
Please give your suggestions!

Attachments

• 634AE390-F6C9-43F6-AAEE-5C238B76D8FE.jpeg
    634AE390-F6C9-43F6-AAEE-5C238B76D8FE.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 7
Seems to be some sort of lump coming out

Attachments

• 43AFB8EA-77B9-40E5-A5AB-8AF7D6E68998.jpeg
    43AFB8EA-77B9-40E5-A5AB-8AF7D6E68998.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 10
Wow that does look sore. I would only wipe the lower eye area with some water but don’t touch the lump. When is the appointment?

I will try to get something before the weekend hopefully! Is it normal that parts from inside the eyelid can fall out like this?

It’s not normal. Eyes can be seen by a general vet (treatment is the same for all animals) so please get her booked in as soon as possible. They can deteriorate quickly as well.

She needs to be seen by an emergency vet, it looks like it could be quite serious. Good luck!

Thanks for all your quick replies! It seems to be a hay poke - we will carefully monitor her, and see what the vet says! :)

do get her seen within 24 hours...eyes are classed as emergencies and hay pokes can quickly become serious without antibiotic treatment

I agree with the above, all vets should see eye injuries same day even if they are full. My vets saw nugget same day that I pulled hay out of her eye even though there was no actual injury they said even though they were full eyes need checking in person same day :)

Let us know if you’ve managed to get an appointment for today. Do I seem too invested? 😀

I really hope you can get her seen today.
Eye injuries can be pretty straightforward if you treat them properly very quickly. A vet will be able to use different drops to check for underlying damage too, and make she she gets the right meds.

A quick update: We didnt manage to get an appointment with the vet before the weekend... the vet said to monitor her carefully, and if it got worse, if she would try to keep her eye closed all the time, if it got more inflamed, or her appetite or weight dropped, we would get in on an emergency appointment.
We chose to clean her eye very carefully with sterilized salt water solution from the pharmacy, by just dripping some drops onto the eye.
Surprisingly, this morning the pink lump had disappeared by itself, or retrieved itself back under the eyelid. Now, there is just a tiny bit of white tissue in the upper part of her eye, but it does not look infected. Her appetite and weight is still as normal - and we will continue to cleanse the eye with salt water through the weekend.
Thanks for all your replies! Will let you know what happens :)

I would find another vet you can take her to. Eyes are classed as emergencies and it’s best to get it seen to as soon as. Remember general vets can treat eye injuries as well.

Last edited:
Hi again, and thanks for all the concern!
No, I did not manage to get her to the vet before the weekend - but luckily her eye now seems to have cleared up completely 😊
If there is any change - I will call in to the vet again on Monday and ask what they think 😉

Attachments

• 734DFA68-BDFA-40F8-86D9-1C17B101AD9A.jpeg
    734DFA68-BDFA-40F8-86D9-1C17B101AD9A.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 6
Back