• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eye problem help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Was just looking at one of my boars today and I noticed one of his eyes are completely clouded over. The other eye is bright and looks normal. The affected eye doesn't have any discharge, it's just basically white and I don't think he can see out of it?
He is in a c&c with another boar but they don't tend to fight so I don't think it could be an injury and he's a year and a half old, I don't know if age affects cavies sight.
Can anyone help with this? :(

flintstones

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
Could be cataracts, course I'm just guessing as I can't see the pig and I'm not a Vet. My point isa it could be numerous things, you really do have to take him to the vet and get it checked.

Suzygpr

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would take him to the vet asap - it sounds like a hay poke injury and will likely need treatment, leaving it can result in a lot of pain and further infection. Clouding over is a sign that there is an ulcer on the eye already.

Pigs can develop cataracts but these take quite sometime and are inside the lens so do not make the eye go cloudy all over.

Suzy

Reaction score
I brought him to the vet yesterday evening, he has a small ulcer probably from a hay poke injury as suggested. I got some ointment for him to prevent infection but the ulcer should clear up by itself so long as its kept clean. Thanks for the help everyone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.