• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eye protruding a bit?

jennabeauchesne

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all! I have four lil piggies houses in a fleece-bedded C&C enclosure me and my hubby put together. I have one piggy, Addy, who I’ve just noticed has her left eye skin protruding a bit. There was the slightest bit of crusties on the opposite corner, and her other eye is just a bit watery. She’s eating fine, pooping normally, has her usual energy. Has anyone’s piggies encountered this type of problem before? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you! 605F0B7B-FA5A-43E3-97F2-275649208F50.jpeg1C59A7EE-F159-4401-917A-EE23689D67F0.jpeg605F0B7B-FA5A-43E3-97F2-275649208F50.jpeg1C59A7EE-F159-4401-917A-EE23689D67F0.jpeg

Also, I wanted to add that the other day she got some hay in her eye which I got out quick and easy. It’s been about a week since that and her eye was fine after but thought I’d add it just in case. (And sorry for the double pics I’m new to this)

I will tag a few members in who have had pigs with hay poke( common problem) rhis could be something else though.

My sow has just had an eye problem, but her eye was bulging slightly

@Lady Kelly. @Betsy . I think I'm correct here?🤔.

@everyone?

Anything to do with eyes and I go straight to the vet. The vet will put a special dye in the eye that shows up ulcers and then if it is ulcerated will prescribe eye drops for a week and then you have to go back to check the eye has healed properly.

Hello! I’m no expert on guinea pigs but I’d say that’s an infected eye. I suspect most likely caused by a hay-poke - allowing bacteria to get in. I think your piggie needs to go to the vet and get some treatment x

My Daisy had this happen, she had hay in her eye and a little sliver had been left under the eyelid and embedded in there, very tricky to get out. Eye issues are really painful and risk infection so this would be something I'd have a vet check out, bless her :)

Please take your piggy to the vet. Eyes can deteriorate quickly and you can't see the damage caused by a hay poke with the naked eye.

Oh no :( I was hoping the vet was going to be the very last resort as I’m from the US and it’s several hundred dollars regardless. I’ll have to figure something out to get her there asap. Thank you everyone for your helpful replies! Much appreciated

It does look like it could be sore. With eyes it's not worth the risk as they are so delicate. I've have experience of eye injuries but it was the eye itself and not the eyelid etc.

I appreciate it's expensive in the US so I would recommend trying to get to a knowledgeable vet in the first place to prevent paying out large amounts and not getting anywhere. The guinea lynx vets list might help Guinea Lynx :: GL's Vet List

Back