• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Eyes open or closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Going to ask a really daft question! Do guinea pigs sleep with eyes open or closed!

Mary

Generally closed if they go into a deeep sleep...I think, or that's how it seems.
Sometimes they do lie there and seem to be snoozing but there eyes are open? Sorry I don't know the scientific answer :)

Barbara

agree with Barbara if in deep relaxed sleep then closed but a light, on alert type sleep then open

I've only ever saw Misty sleeping and he has his eyes open but if you go up close or make a sudden movement he's awake. I've seen him close his aswell but wasn't sure if he was sleeping

I thought Bil was a goner on a few occasions as he slept with eyes open and seemed to be fast asleep most of the time

One time I panicked and and prodded him (gently) and he jumped up, startled :-\

It's quite freaky when they are asleep with their eyes open. Mine do it all the time, they even dream because I can see them twitchin and wobbling their ears, I must admit that I have prodded them when it first happend, I mean you don't expect them to be asleep when their eyes are open, also my husband came running in the house thinking one of my pigs had dropped dead but my piggie had nodded off and fell over onto his side, its so funny to watch.

Mine usually sleep with their eyes open, but occasionally closed.

Another daft question - do your piggies have a sleep pattern? I thought they were awake in the day and slept at night like us but mine always seem to be awake in the morning then sleep the afternoon away and then awake all evening.

Mine sleeps with his eyes closed. In fact very little wakes him up! I can come home from work, turn off alarm, open the room door and he's still fast a kip! I sometimes worried he's gone over the bridge, but either he's a heavy sleeper or a bit mutton. ;D

kayjay said:

Another daft question - do your piggies have a sleep pattern? I thought they were awake in the day and slept at night like us but mine always seem to be awake in the morning then sleep the afternoon away and then awake all evening.

Mine have a similar sleep pattern. On bonfire night, as my next door neighbours were having fireworks I had them in a pen in the bedroom. They seemed to be awake all evening then had a few quiet hours then come back into action at around 3.30am. Wasn't the best nights sleep!

Beaney said:
kayjay said:

Mine have a similar sleep pattern. On bonfire night, as my next door neighbours were having fireworks I had them in a pen in the bedroom. They seemed to be awake all evening then had a few quiet hours then come back into action at around 3.30am. Wasn't the best nights sleep!

oops that makes me feel guilty, Hugo and Hurley are in my son's bedroom and he complains they're awake in the night and disturb him and I just tell him to go back to sleep, he'll get used to it - am I a bad mother or what? ;D ;D ;D

(I have told him come spring they can go outside again, not long now :D ;D ;D ;D)

kayjay said:
Beaney said:
kayjay said:

oops that makes me feel guilty, Hugo and Hurley are in my son's bedroom and he complains they're awake in the night and disturb him and I just tell him to go back to sleep, he'll get used to it - am I a bad mother or what? ;D ;D ;D

(I have told him come spring they can go outside again, not long now :D ;D ;D ;D)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Kids bounce back from disturbed sleep I'm sure! Unlike me who is nothing the next day without 8 solid hours of shut eye!
It was funny having them in the room with me though - even the hay munching seemed so loud! ;D

I've found since Duke has gotten older, now 4yrs 9mths, he lays down on his side and closes his eyes, very very cute :-*
When he and Sully were little they'd lie there with their eyes open and if you touched them they'd nearly jump a mile high! Finally worked out that they can 'sleep' with their eyes closed.
So yes they do both, clever aren't they :-*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back