• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

fatty eye

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sammi

my summer has developed what looks to me like fatty eye but it wasnt there on wednesday. is it something they have at birth because i sure as hell havent seen it there before and it looks yellowy where as my book said it would be pink. will try and get a photo later to post on here. I will be very sad if she has got it cos i was going to let my daughter show her but i love her anyway the showing is just a bit of fun.

can you still show as a pet with fatty eye?

G

gothchick1515

In my guinea book it mentioned Fatty Eye and said it causes no discomfort but doesnt mention if its there from birth but i will read it again in a sec i dont no much about showing so i cant help there hope shes ok x

kellyandpiggies

Reaction score
fatty eyes are usually present from birth but can arise later on that's why it hasn't been noticed.. Like Verity says, they cause no discomfort to the piggy, but should be checked regularly for any sign of a change..

I'm afraid they are faults in piggy shows and you lose marks on them.

xx Mrs Player xx

G

gothchick1515

Thats not fair you shouldnt loose marks on them there the same piggie hehe i wanted to enter Harry in our local one for fun but they sound a bit mean now x

kellyandpiggies

Reaction score
I know it's unfair - but the marking goes on their strengths.. and little fault i.e the coat not shiny enough, then they lose points..

G

gothchick1515

Weee how rude lol the one for our southsea shows for amatures and people like small children etc so hopefully we'll at least get a entry ribbon i wouldnt enter Zub because hes too nervous and would probable freak out if someone new held him harrys fine with most people, by the way what causes fatty eye just out of curiosity x

kellyandpiggies

Reaction score

amateur ones are not that strict...

I'm not sure what exactly the cause is lovey.. think it's just something that happens..

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It won't matter so much in a pet class but I think Fatty eye is still classed as a fault.

Some pigs are born with it but it can come on at any time - its nothing to worry about and I actually think it makes them look extra cute! Sumo has fatty eyes in both eyes and he is a total sweetheart!

S

sammi

starshine said:
It won't matter so much in a pet class but I think Fatty eye is still classed as a fault.

Some pigs are born with it but it can come on at any time - its nothing to worry about and I actually think it makes them look extra cute! Sumo has fatty eyes in both eyes and he is a total sweetheart!
yeah i think it looks cute too and seeing as its just cosmetic then its not too worrying

B

Bob and Ron

Aww what a shame...my Piglopedia says it's caused due to a swelling in the conjunctival sac,which causes a hanging lower lid.Apparently it can be hereditary.
I'd give the pet class a go- it's the fun of the day and taking part thats great-meeting all us mad piggy lovers! ;D
To me ,and i'm sure i speak up for all us piggy people....all piggies are perfect,and are gorgeous no matter what ! :D

kellyandpiggies

Reaction score
Kay's cavies said:
To me ,and i'm sure i speak up for all us piggy people....all piggies are perfect,and are gorgeous no matter what ! :D
Of course.

xx

M

Milly0505

One of my piggies has just developed it at 4 months, I rang the chap I got her from, her Dad has it. He should not have bred from him really, I chose her because she had such a beautiful face and eyes! It is yellowy too, but definately not there when I got her. She is still beautiful :)

alcesterpigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Fatty eye is not always passed on to the offsprings from the parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.