Fed up with Fireworks

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hermoine76

Can anyone please offer me any advice.Last night some complete idiot was letting off the biggest fireworks outside my back fence.
I went to check on my animals and my bunny was throwing herself from side to side in the hutch and stamping her feet.I quickly grabbed her and brought her inside her heart was pounding and her eye's were like she had seen a ghost.I'm so worried about firework night I think the only option is to bring all the animals inside,But will that be enough or will they still hear them.My poor bunny I have never seen an animal so frightened in all my life and my Piggy's where inside their hut but wouldn't come out.
They have'nt been out much today and I think its scared them so much they wont come out at all today.What does everyone else do with their animals? Any advice greatly appreciated

Heidi

H

hermoine76

I have a feeling I have posted this in the wrong place ;D oh dear

D

DebbieR

If you can bring the animals inside until its all over that would be the best thing. They will still hear them but they will feel more safe. George and Mildred live inside and they're not the slightest bit bothered by the fireworks.
Your poor bunny must have been terrified. Fireworks should be banned from general sale in my opinion. My cats are so depressed at the moment cos they can't go out poor things.

G

gothchick1515

Mine are moving indoors till feb! the problems are so bad here that they cant come in for a week or even a month as they sell fireworks off cheaper after the 5th! and dont stop selling them till january! my rabbits arnt bothered! they where born a week before fireworks so are used to them! they where two on tuesday and just dont care they're so laid back about it!
when the the pigs come in harry will have to live in a cat basket as I'm one cage short! lol until hes healed then ill pop him in with the girlies! x

Jane

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I hate fireworks. Their stupid, pointless, and scare way too many animals. If anything, I think the public should be banned from buying them and their should just be displays on bonfire night if any time, because even though they would be annoying that night, at least you can get things to knock out the animal or it's a lot easier to just bring them in for one night. but instead, around here we have been getting them from 2 weeks ago and we will get them all the way into the new year now. >:(

Our kitten is really scared of them, he goes to hide whenever one bangs. My nannans dog is terrified of them too. We have no idea what to do with our chickens, because we certainly -can not- bring 18 (our numbers are slowly going down :'() chickens into our house, especially as theirs a group of 5, group of 2, and a group of 11, and the young cockrals wouldn't get on with 'the boss' :P

A

Amsy1991

I am bringing mine in on Monday evening.I haven't been able to get them sorted but they have been ok so far.Although Pearl is a bit spooked out.I really need to bring them in for Halloween. :-[ :)Best to bring them in and stay up with them or just smother them in blankets,towels and hay!Give them plenty of water and food too.

Firworks--
I hate them,they are pointless and stupid.We don't need them.If we do have them why can't they just have 1 day(bonfire night)only and bettween a certain time or just have orgasided displayes by the council/community.

Reaction score
I wrote to my local MP about them as local retailers sell them to underage kids and have been caught but got their licence back the nest year! Apparently local councils make a lot of cash from selling the licences. Didnt get me very far but I felt better for having tried it really does terrorise pets especially dogs.

H

hermoine76

I think they should be banned too they often end up in the wrong hands and I'm scared stiff of them myself.Georgie my piggy has hardly left hes hut since the other night I really think its affected them all quite badly.I will bring them all inside so I wont have to worry about them too much.I hate fireworks more then ever and so do my poor animals.Thanks everyone

Heidi

Deb

Reaction score
I lost a piggie a few years ago after a spate of very noisey fireworks were let off. >:(

I dont think the pretty light up the sky with sparkiling aray of colours are so bad, its jus the LOUD BANGS type I so object too. They are way too noisy and its those that really freak any animals out. They shake the walls of the house. I have had my house alarm go off from these type too. They are just too powerful.

If only they would stop those, then fireworks wouldnt be so bad.

I do hate this time of year, I never get to enjoy my birthday any more due to these firemworks.

Deb x :(

Reaction score
It would be better if they could make noise free fireworks. Even the corner shop here has started to sell fireworks and most of the people that let them off have been drinking alot and they don't care who they anoy.. :-\

Reaction score
we see so many fireworks here on the Isle of wight becasue we have carnivals and shows all the time so by 5th nov we are fed up with them but its the yobs who let them off anywhere that I dislike the most. wish I could pour a bucket of cold water over them, the kids as well as the fireworks ,
my friend in Iowa USA cannot buy them in her state if they want them they have go out of state shame we cant do the same have to go to France or some where to buy them might just put people off , failing that then displays only

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I hate fireworks. Always have. Don't think the guineas are that bothered, because we are all cosy indoors.

Anyway Guy Fawkes was a hero. Wish he'd come back and finish the job.

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Mmmmmm we have the same problem here too, the poor dogs below us (we're on a hill) go beserk >:(
I wish people would only do this once a year, then we could prepare, but they insist on doing it weeks before GF day grrrrrrrrrr
Luckily Duke is an indoor piggie and is none the wiser ?

J

Janella

Don't have that problem in australia thou, don't celebrate guy fawlkes day..it's illegal to set fireworks off unless you have a pyrotechnics licence and you have to attend a course on that. The only time we get big fireworks is on australia day, the government does a big firework show in the city.

H

hermoine76

Thats they way to do it if only it was like that over here,Our law is such a mess grrr makes me so angry >:(

C

claire

Our dog Mitzy lou lou (that lives with my mum) gets so scared with fireworks that she gets into my mums side cabinet, she pulled the doors off last year and got in it.

When i was younger she used to hide under my bed, its awful to see her like that. I always feel so guilty as when i used to live at home she used to sit with me on bonfire night but now I'm not there. I'm so worried about her as she getting old and she hyperventilates so much. She cant calm down for ages.

The piggies seemed to be fine last year but i will just keep an eye on them.

H

hermoine76

I'm sure you can get some sort of sedative from the vet if you have a doggy that is that scared,Or just something to keep them calm might be worth a try if she is that scared.It must be so frightening to animals as they don't understand what fireworks are and don't realise that the fireworks wont actually hurt them.I hate fireworks soooooooo much they just distress our animals and cost a fortune.I think you should ask the vet I'm sure there is something they can do to help.I hope she's OK

Bye for now
Heidi

C

claire

hiya

That is with the seditive. My mum gives her tablets to sedate her a week before bonfire night but it makes no difference, she says she has found these new sedative tablets this year so we will have to wait and see, I'm so worried abou her.

H

hermoine76

awww I really feel for you and your much loved dog.I hope the new tablets work better then the old one's It makes me so angry that fireworks have this affect on out poor animals.I hope your doggy will be ok please keep me informed of how shes doing.Can the vet offer you no more advice at all?

Heidi

C

claire

She is terrible i have never seen a dog react so badly to fireworks before.

We have been to the vet with her so many times and all that can be done is to sedate her, but she is a really clever dog and she knows days before bonfire night that its coming, we have to grind the seditive tablets down in her food and even then she sometimes won't eat them, I'm hoping that these new tablets might do the trick this year as mum says that she has been a little calmer, even though shes 10 shes still a little drama queen but always has been :) She was a rescue and when we got her we were aware that she had been very badly treated before. This is why she is so scared of bangs.

Thanks for your advice :), i will let you know how she gets on.

Status
Not open for further replies.