Feeding the guinea pigs at TEAS

Mackers

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I have a pig who has had bladder issues since June. I never once thought it could be related to stress but having read this thread, it makes perfect sense.

Barbara was spayed in June due to cystic ovaries. The magnificent Uncle Simon carried out the surgery so she was in safe hands. I made a small corner for her within her normal cage so she could spend a couple of days immediately after surgery recovering and then after 2 days, split the main enclosure in 2 and put her back in with her 2 calm and quiet companions, leaving Bossy and Boots the other side of the barrier for a full 2 weeks

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I have a pig who has had bladder issues since June. I never once thought it could be related to stress but having read this thread, it makes perfect sense.

Barbara was spayed in June due to cystic ovaries. The magnificent Uncle Simon carried out the surgery so she was in safe hands. I made a small corner for her within her normal cage so she could spend a couple of days immediately after surgery recovering and then after 2 days, split the main enclosure in 2 and put her back in with her 2 calm and quiet companions, leaving Bossy and Boots the other side of the barrier for a full 2 weeks
Hope Barbara makes a full recovery x

Mackers

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Continued from above - pressed send too quickly. So Simon recommended keeping the feisty girls separate from Barbara until she was fully healed. When I eventually removed the barrier, we had a few moments of teeth chattering and chasing again but they had settled within 24 hours.
A few days later, she had what I assumed was a UTI caused by inactivity after the spay. I'm now thinking it was probably the stress of the op and further stress rebonding the herd. A sterile C&S test showed no bacterial infection and an x-ray showed no stones. But we continue (in sept) with bladder flare ups and her being wet underneath. just about to start Cartrophen injections having spoken to Simon and Kim. She's currently on daily cystaid plus, metacam and tramadol.

My pigs have ALWAYS had a very wet diet, unlimited hay and as much fresh grass as they can eat. But stress is clearly the one thing that I've missed all along. So glad I saw this post.

furryfriends (TEAS)

Forum Founder
Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Director at TEAS (East Hunsbury) Northampton
Continued from above - pressed send too quickly. So Simon recommended keeping the feisty girls separate from Barbara until she was fully healed. When I eventually removed the barrier, we had a few moments of teeth chattering and chasing again but they had settled within 24 hours.
A few days later, she had what I assumed was a UTI caused by inactivity after the spay. I'm now thinking it was probably the stress of the op and further stress rebonding the herd. A sterile C&S test showed no bacterial infection and an x-ray showed no stones. But we continue (in sept) with bladder flare ups and her being wet underneath. just about to start Cartrophen injections having spoken to Simon and Kim. She's currently on daily cystaid plus, metacam and tramadol.

My pigs have ALWAYS had a very wet diet, unlimited hay and as much fresh grass as they can eat. But stress is clearly the one thing that I've missed all along. So glad I saw this post.
I’m so glad you found the thread helpful 😊

Roselina

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you Debbie for all that info. I was feeling guilty as my two boars don’t like being handled and ( after owning him for 5 months Geoff has only just started taking food from me) - so I’ll keep everything stress free for me and Geoff and Bobby 😊