• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Feeling at the end of my rope with this kitten.

Pawz

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So,

I have a kitten that came from a rescue elsewhere in Europe, since he arrived my life has been nothing short of a dramafest. First it started with him having random paralysis which of course led to a vet visit within 48 hours of owning him! Thankfully that issue seems to be less crazy since I have been giving him additional vitamin B12.
But he has had shocking diarrhea since he arrived, it stinks, he tracks it all over the place and has intentionally done it on my bed no less than 3 times in 12 hours (on my lovely new duvet no less). No matter how much I clean him and my house, everywhere smells of cat poo and I feel like I am living in a litter box.

He is cute enough but we will be back at the vets next week for some further parasitic tests in case that’s causing the diarrhea as standard worming tablets haven’t changed anything.

I just can’t help feeling that life in my home was so much more peaceful before he arrived, we only have him because the rescue insisted we had to take 2. My favorite cat tolerates him but because he hogs all my personal space she no longer comes close to me when he is there. I feel like he is destroying our relationship as we have lost the closeness we once shared and both enjoyed, the idea of him being around for the next 18 years pushing her away from me just makes me cry . He has already gots me in the region of 300€ in the first few days of ownership and that’s going to increase next week and also when his castration is due. I know animals come with costs but I wasn’t expecting a money sink so soon after taking him in.

Right now the only one in the house who likes him is my son, to everyone else he is a smellly, needy little burden who never gives you any space. I feel like a horrible person for having absolutely no bond with him, maybe if he stopped destroying my place of slumber I’d feel more relaxed.

I just don’t know what to do at this point and just needed to vent to someone.

It sounds like hard, hard work with little reward right now.
I can totally understand how that would be fairly soul destroying, and it sounds like you have been super tolerant and understanding so far.

Is it possible to contain him a little and reduce the mess and work?
In the short term until his digestive issues are sorted I would at least keep him out of the bedrooms.

Are the rescue offering any support?
Surely if he was in bad shape when he came to you then they should at least be offering you moral support and advice?

Fingers crossed he improves and settles quickly and your life gets back to normal.

It sounds like hard, hard work with little reward right now.
I can totally understand how that would be fairly soul destroying, and it sounds like you have been super tolerant and understanding so far.

Is it possible to contain him a little and reduce the mess and work?
In the short term until his digestive issues are sorted I would at least keep him out of the bedrooms.

Are the rescue offering any support?
Surely if he was in bad shape when he came to you then they should at least be offering you moral support and advice?

Fingers crossed he improves and settles quickly and your life gets back to normal.
The problem with containing him is he YOWLS for ages if shut out of somewhere. He is now banned from the bedrooms but that also means other cats are also restricted due to him.

Not really any support just asking how he is and suggesting he sees a vet which is common sense really.

Oh and I should add that he is long haired which is why the poo problem becomes such an issue. Am having to constantly wash him to get it out of his fur. :vom::vom:

Last edited:
What food is he on?

When was he last wormed and what with?

Has he had a full stool screen?

How old is he?

How many litter trays does he have?

Cats soil soft furnishings when they find toileting painful, so a cat going on a bed when unwell is very very common. No less annoying I know.

If the house still smells there is either a hidden stool, or it hasn’t been cleaned quite enough, simple solution is very good at removing all traces of wee/poo, pets at home usually sell it.

So,

I have a kitten that came from a rescue elsewhere in Europe, since he arrived my life has been nothing short of a dramafest. First it started with him having random paralysis which of course led to a vet visit within 48 hours of owning him! Thankfully that issue seems to be less crazy since I have been giving him additional vitamin B12.
But he has had shocking diarrhea since he arrived, it stinks, he tracks it all over the place and has intentionally done it on my bed no less than 3 times in 12 hours (on my lovely new duvet no less). No matter how much I clean him and my house, everywhere smells of cat poo and I feel like I am living in a litter box.

He is cute enough but we will be back at the vets next week for some further parasitic tests in case that’s causing the diarrhea as standard worming tablets haven’t changed anything.

I just can’t help feeling that life in my home was so much more peaceful before he arrived, we only have him because the rescue insisted we had to take 2. My favorite cat tolerates him but because he hogs all my personal space she no longer comes close to me when he is there. I feel like he is destroying our relationship as we have lost the closeness we once shared and both enjoyed, the idea of him being around for the next 18 years pushing her away from me just makes me cry . He has already gots me in the region of 300€ in the first few days of ownership and that’s going to increase next week and also when his castration is due. I know animals come with costs but I wasn’t expecting a money sink so soon after taking him in.

Right now the only one in the house who likes him is my son, to everyone else he is a smellly, needy little burden who never gives you any space. I feel like a horrible person for having absolutely no bond with him, maybe if he stopped destroying my place of slumber I’d feel more relaxed.

I think you have to return him. They must have known that with health problems he couldn't stay,with anyone. I would recover a portion of the costs. This is there fault. If this one, carrys on your other cat is going to become very miserable d distance. I don't know why they told you to take 2.

What food is he on?

When was he last wormed and what with?

Has he had a full stool screen?

How old is he?

How many litter trays does he have?

Cats soil soft furnishings when they find toileting painful, so a cat going on a bed when unwell is very very common. No less annoying I know.

If the house still smells there is either a hidden stool, or it hasn’t been cleaned quite enough, simple solution is very good at removing all traces of wee/poo, pets at home usually sell it.

He was last wormed with a standard worming tablet that I don’t know the name of. Getting him screened next week for Campylobacteriosis, Giardia as that would not be cured with a standard wormer.

He is about 17weeks old now

There are plenty of litter trays and 2 are exclusively in the area he hangs out the most in, there was even one in my bedroom that was fresh and clean.

He was last wormed with a standard worming tablet that I don’t know the name of. Getting him screened next week for Campylobacteriosis, Giardia as that would not be cured with a standard wormer.

He is about 17weeks old now

There are plenty of litter trays and 2 are exclusively in the area he hangs out the most in, there was even one in my bedroom that was fresh and clean.

What is he fed on?

A 17 week old kitten can go down hill incredibly quickly due to a case of the runs, I’m sure you are, but keep a very close eye on him.

What is he fed on?

A 17 week old kitten can go down hill incredibly quickly due to a case of the runs, I’m sure you are, but keep a very close eye on him.
Ah sorry I missed that answer, he is fed on Hills science diet kitten for dry food and on Mac’s kitten food for wet meals.

He seems quite energetic and very much alive at the moment. I have thought about stopping the wet food and just feeding dry only for a few days to see if that firms things up a bit?

I think you have to return him. They must have known that with health problems he couldn't stay,with anyone. I would recover a portion of the costs. This is there fault. If this one, carrys on your other cat is going to become very miserable d distance. I don't know why they told you to take 2.
There is no recovery on any of the costs.

So,

That sounds awful, I dont know anything about kittens but when we first got Blodwen pig I felt the same. She arrived with ringworm, overgrown teeth, and did a weird "playing dead" fear response whenever she saw us. Emergency vet trip 12 hours after she arrived, ringworm quarantine, trying to syringe feed a catatonic lump of fungal infection... dental surgery... £300 vet bills... I didnt give her a name straight away because I was just so disappointed, I felt sure we were just waiting for her to die... she is ok now and I love her to bits but for a while there I was just seeing her as a massive depressing vet bill and loads of worry and stress and effort and a health risk to my other piggies, she wouldnt even stand up properly or show any interest in anything...
I really hope your kitten improves like our Blod pig did, and you and your other cat bond with him, and in a few weeks you can look back on this as just a bad episode but worth it- but if you feel you cant cope and your other cat's welfare is being compromised you should put yourself and your other cat first and try find a solution such as returning him to a rescue. It isnt your fault you were tricked or talked into taking in an unexpectedly very sick animal you didnt really want, and you are doing a great job!

Ah sorry I missed that answer, he is fed on Hills science diet kitten for dry food and on Mac’s kitten food for wet meals.

He seems quite energetic and very much alive at the moment. I have thought about stopping the wet food and just feeding dry only for a few days to see if that firms things up a bit?

Dry food is a huge cause of the runs in cats/kittens, removing wet food would also increase the chances of dehydration. Dry food is expensive rubbish, personally I would cut it out altogether.

Hopefully the pooing spree won’t last too much longer, mine used to poo on the curtains when he was unwell.

Aw, so sorry @Pawz, you are having an awful time of it with this new kitten. I would have a long hard think what’s best for you and your existing pets. Perhaps this rescue can house him until he gets well and settled. It seems a bit strange them demanding that you take two, how can they do this?
Good luck and don’t feel bad if you have to give him back, it’s not fair on you expecting to shoulder all this without any support from them x

I am so sorry that you are going through this :( It sounds like hard work.

One of my cats has been having cystitis and urinating all over the house including ruining our duvet. He’s over the cystitis now but is still urinating up the curtains in the living room so I understand your frustration

I’m glad I am not the only one who faced instant difficulties with a new pet. The strange part with the bed pooing is even if he has access to other bedrooms all night he won’t poo in them. It’s exclusively mine which makes me wonder if that’s some kind of turf war between him and my beloved cat. She shares my bed at night, just her because it’s our chance to relax together and she is a wonderful girl who never puts a paw wrong. I can’t let him in with us until 1) the poo is hard and 2) I can trust him with my bed!

The reason you have to take 2 is a standard rule for most rescue animals in my country and because he came through a local organization tied to foreign rescues that rule is still in place. It’s to ensure they have a playmate if their own species who is of similar age and will hopefully be lifelong companions to one another.

I’m glad I am not the only one who faced instant difficulties with a new pet. The strange part with the bed pooing is even if he has access to other bedrooms all night he won’t poo in them. It’s exclusively mine which makes me wonder if that’s some kind of turf war between him and my beloved cat. She shares my bed at night, just her because it’s our chance to relax together and she is a wonderful girl who never puts a paw wrong. I can’t let him in with us until 1) the poo is hard and 2) I can trust him with my bed!

The reason you have to take 2 is a standard rule for most rescue animals in my country and because he came through a local organization tied to foreign rescues that rule is still in place. It’s to ensure they have a playmate if their own species who is of similar age and will hopefully be lifelong companions to one another.

Cats soil soft surfaces when toileting is painful, they usually choose a surface that smells of something comforting, which is why cats usually choose their owners bed or clothing.

Yes I was told by various vets when my Rosie cat had UTIs that they'll associate the litter tray with pain so choose to go in other places to hope the pain stops. I had to rip up floor tiles in my hallway as she was going by my front door and ended up stinking of cat pee, on my bed, behind my sofa :( gets to you after a while especially with that cat pee and poo smell :(

So sorry you're going through all this with him @Pawz. I can understand not letting you just take one animal if it was a species that needs company, lots of cats don't like other cats and like to be alone though!
My two are 12yr old sisters and have been together since they were born, can't stand each other a lot of the time, have half a house each and very rare if they're within five feet of each other!

Hope you can get him sorted and things get better for you soon x

Yes I was told by various vets when my Rosie cat had UTIs that they'll associate the litter tray with pain so choose to go in other places to hope the pain stops. I had to rip up floor tiles in my hallway as she was going by my front door and ended up stinking of cat pee, on my bed, behind my sofa :( gets to you after a while especially with that cat pee and poo smell :(

So sorry you're going through all this with him @Pawz. I can understand not letting you just take one animal if it was a species that needs company, lots of cats don't like other cats and like to be alone though!
My two are 12yr old sisters and have been together since they were born, can't stand each other a lot of the time, have half a house each and very rare if they're within five feet of each other!

Hope you can get him sorted and things get better for you soon x

Oh goodness :( Cat pee and poo is the worst!

Oh the smell is so bad!
Rosie had done it so much over a few months it had obv leaked underneath the tiles and was no way the smell was going anywhere! Built up cat ammonia is bloody repulsive!

Back