• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Feeling at the end of my rope with this kitten.

Cats soil soft surfaces when toileting is painful, they usually choose a surface that smells of something comforting, which is why cats usually choose their owners bed or clothing.
Yes I am aware, I read you the first time. I was just saying it’s odd he only ever chooses my bed yet his sleeps on my sons bed at night and has access to that during the day with no incidents. :)

Oh the smell is so bad!
Rosie had done it so much over a few months it had obv leaked underneath the tiles and was no way the smell was going anywhere! Built up cat ammonia is bloody repulsive!
Just an update, still the diarrhea ongoing but awaiting test results. Should have one set of results back tonight , the other won’t be until the weekend because we need to collect some more poo samples over x amount of days. :vom:

No more accidents on the furnishings which is a good thing because since the “lock out” one of my cats has taught itself to open doors :eek:...what are the odds. So yeah nowhere is off limits with that sassy kitty opening doors for all.

Naughty pussy cat! They're good at learning these things to drive you mad! :) My girl Daisy opens all the kitchen cupboards, go in in the morning and it looks like a scene from the film Poltergeist!

Hope all has gone well with kitten (despite the diarrhoea) and results good so far? Glad no accidents, well hopefully still none anyway!? :)

So I should probably update this, it has been a tough week this week.

The kitten came back negative for any type of digestive system parasites and different foods, even cooked chicken did not change anything. In the end we put it down to environmental stress as the little kitty was very badly afraid of small children, even when they are being quiet, calm and patient wanting to be his friend (perhaps he was chased or tormented by children when found on the streets, no one knows). I of course felt terrible because it was me that brought him into our environment, which was obviously too much for him, especially as children can get over excitable.

It was an extremely difficult and very emotional decision to make but he has now been re-homed. His new owner knows his history but fell in love with him, we stay in contact and share pictures and progress updates.

You did loads to help him @Pawz, you've found a great place for him :) x
He may have left us with ringworm though, off to the vets tomorrow evening with some suspected infected for skin scrapes. For such a tiny animal he has sure left a big impression, we’ll be keeping the vets in business single handedly if this carries on much longer :lol!:

Aw you made the right decision for him. Don't feel bad for bringing him in to your home. My eldest cat was pulled around by his tail and basically treated very badly by kids when he was a young kitten. He doesn't like toddlers and he hates having his tail touched although he's ok with babies and older children. Sadly a bad start can stay with them for life

My sister's cat Scarlet is the same, hates my 3year old nephew. Was treated terribly before she got her, my nephew was a baby so didn't mind him but as he grew she learnt to stay away! Only relaxes when he's not around!

Said you'd never forget him! :)
Hope it comes back with good news x
Ringworm in cats is a pain in the butt. The procedure goes something like this.

*Take sample from cat and grow it in a culture dish for around 6 days to see if anything grows and if it does which strain of fungus it is.

*Treatment can be given in the form of bathing the cat every 4 days, OR via tablets. However the tablets require a blood test beforehand to check the liver and as the tablets are very strong they can have an effect on the liver.

So it’s a choice of blood test vs the joy of bathing a creature that will re-enact gizmo’s transformation from Mogwai to Gremlin every 4 days when you get it wet.

I’m actually going to be brave and take the shampoo option because that means less blood tests all round and as we will have another cat joining us I will be able to just incorporate him into the shampoo treatments if this is still ongoing when he arrives and we did indeed get the misfortune of a positive diagnosis from the vet.

My sister's cat Scarlet is the same, hates my 3year old nephew. Was treated terribly before she got her, my nephew was a baby so didn't mind him but as he grew she learnt to stay away! Only relaxes when he's not around!

Yes, Harrison was the same. He hated my niece when she was a toddler, he even pooed around the house when she came to stay once. My nephew was only a 5 months old the last time he stayed but he's starting to walk now so I'm not sure how he will react the next he comes to visit

Yes, Harrison was the same. He hated my niece when she was a toddler, he even pooed around the house when she came to stay once. My nephew was only a 5 months old the last time he stayed but he's starting to walk now so I'm not sure how he will react the next he comes to visit
Yes my son stepped in the diarrhea one morning and walked it EVERYWHERE as he came to me upset that he had a poo foot that I needed to sort out.

*Take sample from cat and grow it in a culture dish for around 6 days to see if anything grows and if it does which strain of fungus it is.

*Treatment can be given in the form of bathing the cat every 4 days, OR via tablets. However the tablets require a blood test beforehand to check the liver and as the tablets are very strong they can have an effect on the liver.

So it’s a choice of blood test vs the joy of bathing a creature that will re-enact gizmo’s transformation from Mogwai to Gremlin every 4 days when you get it wet.

I’m actually going to be brave and take the shampoo option because that means less blood tests all round and as we will have another cat joining us I will be able to just incorporate him into the shampoo treatments if this is still ongoing when he arrives and we did indeed get the misfortune of a positive diagnosis from the vet.

Ooh good luck with the bathing if there is ringworm. We had to bathe Harrison once, never again!

Ooh good luck with the bathing if there is ringworm. We had to bathe Harrison once, never again!

Bathing a cat is quite an ordeal, here is what I learned from experience.

1) trim cats nails (if you forget this you will soon remember!)
2) place cat in pet harness
3) tie the leash of the harness to the bath fittings (now you have both hands free, don’t get cocky)
4) pray
5) insert earplugs if you have a screamer
6) pray the neighbors don’t call the cops because someone is committing a homicide.
7) pray the neighbors don’t call the cops for a noise disturbance
8) Pray no-one calls CPS because that sound is obviously a distressed child.
9) commence with the bath at arms length trying extra hard not to present your arms as attractive branches up which to escape (see point 1).

My cat Rosie has flea allergy dermatitis, when she first started having problems as a kitten I had to do the same, she had tests too. And vet scared me as I get really dry skin on my hands, said it looked like I could have caught it too from the couple of patches on my hands! All negative thankfully! Thank god I never saw her again! Thought she was a human Dr as well!

I bathed both my girls when got them at 8 weeks, had fleas when I got them and was best to use shampoo. Was a horrible experience, they were tiny though and my sis helped, don't think I could do it now when they're nearly 13! They'd kill me!

My cat Rosie has flea allergy dermatitis, when she first started having problems as a kitten I had to do the same, she had tests too. And vet scared me as I get really dry skin on my hands, said it looked like I could have caught it too from the couple of patches on my hands! All negative thankfully! Thank god I never saw her again! Thought she was a human Dr as well!

I bathed both my girls when got them at 8 weeks, had fleas when I got them and was best to use shampoo. Was a horrible experience, they were tiny though and my sis helped, don't think I could do it now when they're nearly 13! They'd kill me!
I once had to bath a tiny kitten that had rolled in garbage including rotted fish. :vom:

I forgot to trim it’s tiny needle sharp nails first, big mistake ...my arms looked like someone had gone full Emo.

IMG_5218.JPG
Scarlet is the most chilled out cat when she's got peace, doing yoga on my knee there yest! But when he's around she's been known to bite and scratch pretty badly!
As long as Harrison's got escape routes hopefully he'll be ok and can just get well away from him!

Could you imagine if it’s positive and I am still going through the treatment when the other cat arrives? “Welcome to your new home”* tosses new cat in bath and brings out the jug of water/shampoo * , great way to make friends :woot:

It's why I made my sister help me years ago, felt like such a meany drowning them when then hadn't been here long!
Could you maybe do a quarantine room for the 1 year old when you get him if it is positive? To try and minimise passing it on? Changing clothes etc like people do for piggies?

It's why I made my sister help me years ago, felt like such a meany drowning them when then hadn't been here long!
Could you maybe do a quarantine room for the 1 year old when you get him if it is positive? To try and minimise passing it on? Changing clothes etc like people do for piggies?
Difficult with other cats in the house because spore transfer is that much more crazy with felines. Nah i’ll just bath him too...live dangerously :tu:.

Hopefully we will get a negative.

Back