• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Feeling so low tonight

JimmythePig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I went to the shelter to pick up supplies for Jimmy, my darling foster pig,. A woman was there with a cat in a carrier. You can't go inside, you stand at a door to wait for staff to come to you. I asked her if she was fostering the cat, her eyes welled up in tears. She was surrendering the cat because the cat had a heart condition and she couldn't afford the vet bills. She said it was like giving up her daughter.
I know when you make the decision to bring a pet in your life it means responsibility for their whole life, but it's not the pets fault when things go wrong and sometimes the owner hits hard times. I feel so sorry for this cat and this woman. There has to be a better way to keep loving owners and their pets together.

Yes and so grateful she had somewhere to get help for her cat. But what an agonizing choice to make.

This is heartbreaking, but she is doing the right thing and putting her cat first :(

Most definitely she is putting the cat first. It was just so heartbreaking, the cat looked so bewildered in the carrier. The poor thing is sick and now taken away from her home as well. I wish there was more affordable care available.

Such a shame, but it was good she was putting the cat first knowing it needs are more important than her feelings.

Most definitely she is putting the cat first. It was just so heartbreaking, the cat looked so bewildered in the carrier. The poor thing is sick and now taken away from her home as well. I wish there was more affordable care available.
Very sad 🙁
In the UK we have the PDSA, a charity which provides vet care to animals whose owners can't afford it, are on benefits etc. Is there anything similar in Canada?

We have a charity called the Herbie Fund which helps with vets, but they only cover part of the costs. And the shelter provides some low cost care as well, so thankfully some help is available.

@JimmythePig .
It is very sad when things like this happen.
Poor lady and cat. . If vets wasn't so expensive and prices are getting worse. . More pets are being dumped not always at rescue places. .
Breaks me heart and I also wish we could do more. . But supporting animal charities help the wonderful who run them ... Take Care

Back