Female being mean to the others?

Puddles1999

New Born Pup
Reaction score
There is a lot of what I call throwing weight around. Is your black sow the leader or the second in command and can you please remind me how long they have been together? I have not been much on the forum in recent weeks while I wasn't well.

The only way you can get an honest answer out of a potentially tricky situation (bullying or aggression) is by a trial separation with a divider in the cage. Then see whether the piggies one party (especially the one at the receiving end) are noticeably perking up when not in the same space as the others. It doesn't look like a happy bond to me and it is bordering in bullying/acceptance not having happened.
A trial separation is the closest we can come to ask piggies of their true feelings as to whether they are happy in a bond or whether it is dysfunctional as it is .

As mentioned before, happily bonded pairs are not necessarily willing to accept another. Trios are by far the most tricky one to get just right. Unless you can rescue date your pair, it is a constellation best avoided. Groups very much rely on the piggies wanting to be together; like with humans, this doesn't happen all the time, whether that is in an office or in your private life. How many long term stable happy human trios do you know?

Please take the time to read these guides here and follow the instructions re. trial separation.
Bonds In Trouble
Moody guinea pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour
The black one, is mocha. No is she not the one in charge. The one in charge is penelope. I’d say she’d be second in command since Minnie is extremely docile. They have been together for about 12 months. They have always had an issue if they’re in too small of a space like If they’re in the same travel carrier together for example. Mocha has to be in her own. Penelope and Minnie get along great and they never fight with each other. By doing the trial separation, would I be putting mocha and Penelope on one side, and then Minnie on the other? Because If I decided to remove mocha from the trio altogether, I’d like Minnie and Penelope together because they get along good. Mocha tends to be mean towards Minnie and sometimes bother Penelope but never as harsh as Minnie. Mocha has never been this mean until about a week/ 2 weeks ago. That’s why I thought maybe she just has a strong season but I feel as it isn’t fair for miss Minnie. Having to be terrified of mocha everywhere she goes. I most definitely agree with you though. I will take a look at those and thoroughly read through them. Thank you! I hope you are feeling much better! 😊

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
How old is Mocha? If Penelope and Minnie get on best then I would put Mocha alone. She is the ‘starter’ so it’s the other two’s reaction you have to watch when you separate them. Just be aware that Mocha May bite the bars as an attempt to get to the other two.

Puddles1999

New Born Pup
Reaction score
How old is Mocha? If Penelope and Minnie get on best then I would put Mocha alone. She is the ‘starter’ so it’s the other two’s reaction you have to watch when you separate them. Just be aware that Mocha May bite the bars as an attempt to get to the other two.
Mocha and Minnie are both a bit over a year old. I do think I will try the trial separation. I thought mocha would be done by now as if she had a strong season. However, she’s still doing it today and she came up and ripped some of minnie’s behind hairs out. If Minnie does miss being by mocha then do I need to reintroduce them properly? As in neutral territory, etc.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Yes you do. But it doesn’t sound good if Mocha is ripping hair out. That’s usually the equivalent of a boar biting.

Puddles1999

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Yes you do. But it doesn’t sound good if Mocha is ripping hair out. That’s usually the equivalent of a boar biting.
Here is how much she ripped out. Minnie kind of yelped out when she did it. This makes makes me so sad! I am going to do the trial separation tonight and see how it goes. It’s so weird how they randomly just decide to not get along with each other after being together for so long. Goodness ☹

Attachments

Puddles1999

New Born Pup
Reaction score
It seems like penelope has been rumble strutting to both Minnie and mocha now. However she does not chase Minnie to the point of Minnie wanting to jump out. When Penelope chases minnie, Minnie doesn’t act scared at all. When mocha comes near minnie, she runs far away. When Penelope comes near, Minnie doesn’t mind. I assume Penelope is trying to take charge and tell both mocha and Minnie that she is in charge. However, the way mocha reacts to Minnie still makes me feel like she’s bullying her. We will find out if they prefer to be away from mocha.

Puddles1999

New Born Pup
Reaction score
UPDATE:
I have them still in their big cage but a divider in the middle. I have the mocha/bully on one side and then minnie and penelope on the other side. I was going to try and reintroduce fo see if everybody would get along again but I’m not sure if it’s right. The night we separated, mocha was being insanely mean to minnie and chasing her and biting her butt. Penelope(dominant guinea) was chasing mocha around and mocha was acting very annoyed but mocha didn’t want to necessarily challenge Penelope. Penelope was ready to fight and was showing aggression and so I decided to separate. I don’t believe it was fair to minnie at all, nor penelope. I don’t see too much of a noticeable change except for the fact that Minnie doesn’t run away in fear when the other would get near her. She isn’t so on edge anymore. I just want them to live happily together but I understand that doesn’t always happen. They don’t seem depressed at all. Now I just don’t know about my bully guinea. Will she be fine by herself but by interacting through the bars? Does she need another friend too? I just don’t know what to do 😕

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Please don’t call her a bully. For whatever reason she doesn’t get on with Minnie anymore. But also remember that trips are difficult and you can end up with an ‘outsider’. If Minnie is more settled then I wouldn’t try bonding them again. The functionality of the bond is determined by how the underpig behaves when you’ve separated them.

Interaction through the bars means Mocha won’t get lonely. Whether you get her a friend is up to you.If you do that, please go down the rescue route.

Puddles1999

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Please don’t call her a bully. For whatever reason she doesn’t get on with Minnie anymore. But also remember that trips are difficult and you can end up with an ‘outsider’. If Minnie is more settled then I wouldn’t try bonding them again. The functionality of the bond is determined by how the underpig behaves when you’ve separated them.

Interaction through the bars means Mocha won’t get lonely. Whether you get her a friend is up to you.If you do that, please go down the rescue route.
Using that term was not to meant to be offensive. I was just trying to provide a better understanding of who was on what side of the bars/ and since she bullied Minnie, if getting her a friend would be okay. I apologize. Thank you.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Using that term was not to meant to be offensive. I was just trying to provide a better understanding of who was on what side of the bars/ and since she bullied Minnie, if getting her a friend would be okay. I apologize. Thank you.
Please don’t apologise! I’m sorry if my post came across as accusatory as that wasn’t my intention at all. I just think it’s better out as they don’t get on for whatever reason. Piggies can have really complex relationships 🙄😁