Female bum sniffing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have two female guinea pigs about 3 1/2 years old now. They've been together all their life. Recently Milly has been hanging around the back end of the Poppy. She runs to her back-end multiple times a day. (I'm talking almost every chance she gets) It looks like shes sniffing her and trying to lick her. Its driving poppy mad, she gets angry and chases her off, yet she comes back and does it again a few minutes later. Its really stressing her out.

I asked this a different forum a while back and I was told maybe it was due them being in season. But it started over a month ago and it happens every single day now. I have no idea why this is happening, if there is a reason or how to stop it.

Does anyone have any insight into this? :(

Thanks

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
hello
we did have experience of this but luckily it stopped after a few days.
We found lots of extra floor time and splitting them but while they could stiil see each other helped. Also a probiotic such a Avipro plus may help as your chasing piggie could be after the poohs of the other.
hope this helps

christine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Your piggie may be trying to get the soft pellets that piggies produce to keep up their vit C levels.

Piggies sometimes do this if they are short of vit C or have been poorly.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Christine - it could be because she is short of vitamin C or other nutrients. Perhaps you could try to give some extra vitamin C and see whether that helps, either in the form of more high vitamin C veg like peppers, broccoli and parsley or by dissolving 1/8 of a vitamin C tablet in a bit of water and then syringe that.

Otherwise it may be hormonal problems?

If things don't change, I would have her seen by a vet.

http://www.guinealynx.info/scurvy.html
http://www.guinealynx.info/ovarian_cysts.html

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Is she eating normally and getting enough nutrition? The only time I've seen this is when one of my pigs was on an antibiotic and was being syringe fed so not pooping a whole lot herself... she was trying to eat the caecal pellets from the other pig instinctively to try to replenish her own gut flora. I would monitor her weight/food intake and maybe try a probiotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.