• This weekend was forum pride! We hope you had a great time, the section will remain open to read over the information threads, so dont worry if you missed last night. Visit the section HERE

Fighting Boars

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
They aren’t. I’m hoping I will find a spayed sow. This is a silly question, but can the sow be older than the boar? I don’t know if that would cause issues (probably not). The rescue says they have two well bonded boars, although my hutch is only 140 x 60 with a ramp.
You are not likely to find a spayed sow. Sows are only spayed for medical reasons usually, but some rescues might get them. However, I imagine if you told a rescue you wanted sow, but you boar isn’t neutered then they probably wouldn’t consider you because the chances of getting spayed sows are low.

Age doesn’t matter, it’s character which is the most important part. This is why you can’t just put two piggies together and assume everything is going to be ok
Sorry my I'm confused though - How is getting two bonded boars going to help?

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You are not likely to find a spayed sow. Sows are only spayed for medical reasons usually, but some rescues might get them. However, I imagine if you told a rescue you wanted sow, but you boar isn’t neutered then they probably wouldn’t consider you because the chances of getting spayed sows are low.

Age doesn’t matter, it’s character which is the most important part. This is why you can’t just put two piggies together and assume everything is going to be ok
Sorry my I'm confused though - How is getting two bonded boars going to help?
Oh! I didn’t know.
We got them because the came from the same household (assuming they were bonded) but when we got them they had arguments often, and then yesterday they had a massive one, they were rolling around aggressively and they looked like two hamsters fighting.
The rescue offered to take them both and pair them with someone else and we take another pair who are bonded. It will be hard because I am already so attached to my boys already, but if it’s for their happiness, I’ll do it. I’m hoping they both get put with someone older in seperate pairs. My boys are both 5 months, whereas the suggested pair are 18 months. I am worried because I won’t be able to make my hutch bigger right away. But I don’t want to leave my piggies seperated for a long time before I can upgrade for a different pair (I sound horrible). My piggies seem miserable right now, and I read guides and found out Berty chewed the bars while I was around to get my attention because he didn’t have a friend. It’s sad but hopefully they get the best.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
However hard it is, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to give them up to the rescue. And perhaps put your name down for a bonded sow pair rather than a boar pair. That way they will have enough space in your current setup. It's really not ideal for them to be living separately where they can't even interact through the bars. So you're best placed to do that if you can't get them each a friend. It's hard but you have to do what is best for them rather than what you want to do. Good luck deciding.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Ok, I understand now.
At 5 months old they are now experiencing high hormone output and this is the test of whether a bond is compatible. If they were young when you got them, they wouldn’t have been as hormonal and as babies they tend to get on anyway. It’s once they hit their teens that problems can come to light.

At 18 months old, the pair at the rescue are just out of their teens.

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
However hard it is, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to give them up to the rescue. And perhaps put your name down for a bonded sow pair rather than a boar pair. That way they will have enough space in your current setup. It's really not ideal for them to be living separately where they can't even interact through the bars. So you're best placed to do that if you can't get them each a friend. It's hard but you have to do what is best for them rather than what you want to do. Good luck deciding.
Yes, you are right. Thank you so much. I probably will do this, I don’t want to rush into things and everything goes wrong. Their happiness is what matters the most. I do look at the RSPCA website now and again, but the pairs I see are miles away. Thank you so much.

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Very good suggestion from siikibam though about getting a sow pair rather than a boar pair
I do worry about cysts in ovaries, are they common?
Ok, I understand now.
At 5 months old they are now experiencing high hormone output and this is the test of whether a bond is compatible. If they were young when you got them, they wouldn’t have been as hormonal and as babies they tend to get on anyway. It’s once they hit their teens that problems can come to light.

At 18 months old, the pair at the rescue are just out of their teens.
That’s what I was thinking, I got them at 3 months. Hopefully, if I get a pair past the teenage years I won’t have much problems. I love my boys, but I bet they will love it with a different herd. Hopefully, if they get rescued, they’ll go to a new home. Thank you.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I do worry about cysts in ovaries, are they common?

That’s what I was thinking, I got them at 3 months. Hopefully, if I get a pair past the teenage years I won’t have much problems. I love my boys, but I bet they will love it with a different herd. Hopefully, if they get rescued, they’ll go to a new home. Thank you.
This guide gives details about ovarian cysts and sows in general Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

They would likely be neutered at the rescue and bonded with sows. At five months old they are right at the wrong age to be bonded with more boars.
It’s hard but you are making a very brave and loving decision in the best interests of the boys

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Ovarian cysts can happen, though I don't know the statistics of their frequency. I've got sows and do have it in the back of my mind that it could happen. But I love them and will deal with it if and when it happens.

I think given the size of your enclosure you are best off discounting boars. Even past their teenage months they still need space. Tough but you're a very loving slave to do what you're doing.

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This guide gives details about ovarian cysts and sows in general Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

They would likely be neutered at the rescue and bonded with sows. At five months old they are right at the wrong age to be bonded with more boars.
It’s hard but you are making a very brave and loving decision in the best interests of the boys
Thank you. I will read the guide and contact the rescue. I will treat my boys with cuddles and lots of love until it is time.

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ovarian cysts can happen, though I don't know the statistics of their frequency. I've got sows and do have it in the back of my mind that it could happen. But I love them and will deal with it if and when it happens.

I think given the size of your enclosure you are best off discounting boars. Even past their teenage months they still need space. Tough but you're a very loving slave to do what you're doing.
I have read that sows do become more moody when having an ovarian cyst. I’ll read the guide Piggies&buns linked and email the rescue.

That’s what I was thinking, I’ve seen sows don’t need so much room as boars. I do love my boys, but their happiness is at my best interest. Thank you so much.

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
While going through their old fleeces (when they were together) I found a big chunk of hair. I’m wondering if one of them pulled it out of the other piggy :(

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes possibly
This is a bit off topic, but you were on my previous post when I mentioned giving them away.

I have contacted the rescue they came from, but they aren’t replying. So hopefully I can bring them to the RSPCA closest to me. They will be much happier somewhere else in a different pair/herd. Because of my addiction to piggies, I’m hoping to get a sow/sow, or a boar/sow pair from a rescue centre. It will be sad to see my boys go, but if it results in happiness, I’m all for it. They have both been acting miserable lately, they aren’t as active as they used to be, they don’t popcorn as much, and all day everyday they sit in their box and eat hay. They seem so bored, it is truly awful. They popcorn when I’m filling them up with hay and that’s it, I’m trying to interact with them a bit more before they go, I put them in the run more often.
Thank you for reading.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
This is a bit off topic, but you were on my previous post when I mentioned giving them away.

I have contacted the rescue they came from, but they aren’t replying. So hopefully I can bring them to the RSPCA closest to me. They will be much happier somewhere else in a different pair/herd. Because of my addiction to piggies, I’m hoping to get a sow/sow, or a boar/sow pair from a rescue centre. It will be sad to see my boys go, but if it results in happiness, I’m all for it. They have both been acting miserable lately, they aren’t as active as they used to be, they don’t popcorn as much, and all day everyday they sit in their box and eat hay. They seem so bored, it is truly awful. They popcorn when I’m filling them up with hay and that’s it, I’m trying to interact with them a bit more before they go, I put them in the run more often.
Thank you for reading.
Sometimes there is a stipulation that if you need to surrender them, then they have to go back to the rescue centre you got them from. If there is such a stipulation, you won’t be able to take them to a different rescue centre. Keep trying the centre you got them from

In the meantime, if you can put them in the run and have them side by side then that would help them greatly with interaction. I know you have to have them in a one up, one down arrangement in the hutch so allowing them as much through the bar interaction in a run is important for them.

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sometimes there is a stipulation that if you need to surrender them, then they have to go back to the rescue centre you got them from. If there is such a stipulation, you won’t be able to take them to a different rescue centre. Keep trying the centre you got them from

In the meantime, if you can put them in the run and have them side by side then that would help them greatly with interaction. I know you have to have them in a one up, one down arrangement in the hutch so allowing them as much through the bar interaction in a run is important for them.
I normally put cardboard in the middle of the run, shall I use chicken wire instead? Also, I think there was an agreement to do so. I just feel awful emailing her over and over.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I normally put cardboard in the middle of the run, shall I use chicken wire instead?
That would be better. Wire will be more secure and stop them from being able to push through it and get to each other. But also, cardboard blocks their line of sight so they won’t be getting the full interaction. They can obviously see through the wire so it’ll be better for them.

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That would be better. Wire will be more secure and stop them from being able to push through it and get to each other. But also, cardboard blocks their line of sight so they won’t be getting the full interaction. They can obviously see through the wire so it’ll be better for them.
I will do it tomorrow evening when the suns gone away, thank you!