Fighting or Friendly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So, I have just taken the responsibility to get re-home 2 gorgeous girl babies, and need a bit of advice from piggie fanatics!
The two girls SEEM ok, healthy, happy etc etc. They popcorn when I put hay in especially, they tuck into their little salads, and their pellets, there pooping and weeing A LOT, which I guess is a good thing, They play with their mirror toys and ring their bells BUT I dont know if it is just me being paranoid, but Esme (The dominant one) keep scaring the life out of Bella, she nudges her out of the way, she nips her (well, i dont know if it is actual nipping or just bumping) when they are in the house, I hear all manner of squeeks, squeels and teeth chattering! Only the dominant one teeth chatters, Bella does not.
I am very concerned that they are not bonding and I dont know what to do about it, I feel like I cant just leave them to it, as I'm terrified Bella will get hurt :(
Please lay your advice on me!!!:0

winnie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
my guinea pigs elvis and cannavaro used to do this a lot when they were babies,its Just to sort out whos the dominant one.I would Just keep an eye on them,but I would worry to much,i now its hard as i used to worry all the time :)

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It sounds like the dominant pig is letting the subordinate pig know who the boss is! It's normal for a new pair to sort out dominance issues. Once they each know their role, the dominant pig won't have to make such as issue out of it. In any pair/group, someone has to be the boss... we have a pair of sows as well and they get along very well but there is definitely no doubt who is in charge!

Reaction score
thanks, it probably sounds a lot worse than it is, but i cant help worrying!Also Esme (miss dominant) is sooooo wriggly and hates being handled, whereas Bella is quite easygoing, and doesnt struggle (much!)
I have also noticed they make a strange little hissing, not prolonged or anything, it is a very very small noise, like a cigarette being put out in water!
Hmm, I hope they sort this little tiff out, cuz Bella follows Esme around and seems to idolise her, but Esme doesnt seem to want to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.