• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fighting

asian piggy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Quite recently I’ve caught my two boars becoming quite disruptive. The submissive ‘squeaks’ a lot and there is a lot of nose offs. When I first got the pair their was a lot of rumblestrutting, establish dominance and after this it had died down. However only perhaps 2 days ago I noticed a lot more squeaking, nose offs and tonight the two were kicking each other in the face and momentarily were fighting in a big ball of fluff. It was too short and I watched carefully to not intervene. There’s no blood, but is this normal, how long will it go on for and how will I know when to separate them?

I’m quite worried now, there’s violent teeth chattering and it’s quite late in the night so I don’t want to sleep and wake up to something horrible if I should just separate them

Wouldn't the best thing be to separate them? At least for the night, and you can put them back together when you are awake and can observe and intervene. Doesn't sound good to wake up to the aftermath of a bloody fight...

Wouldn't the best thing be to separate them? At least for the night, and you can put them back together when you are awake and can observe and intervene. Doesn't sound good to wake up to the aftermath of a bloody fight...

yes I did think that, but I also read elsewhere that if I separate them during this bonding/dominance protest they’d have to start all over again. Right now one’s buried themselves underneath the fleece with the other one sleeping on top beside it, so it seems fine but I’m quite worried as a new owner

You are absolutely right in that you should only separate if it is absolutely essential. Once separated under those kind of circumstances (full on fighting), it is highly unlikely they will ever go back together again. You should not constantly separate and reintroduce boars - boars should either be together permanently or separate permanently. it is highly stressful for them and each meeting will cause them to start the dominance phase all over again.
What did you do in the end?
Some more information may be useful.
How old are they?
How long have they been together?
What size is their cage? Two boars need a large cage (more than two sows need) - A 2x5 c&c cage (or cage of similar measurements - 2ft by 6ft), two of all equipment and open ended hideys.

Quite recently I’ve caught my two boars becoming quite disruptive. The submissive ‘squeaks’ a lot and there is a lot of nose offs. When I first got the pair their was a lot of rumblestrutting, establish dominance and after this it had died down. However only perhaps 2 days ago I noticed a lot more squeaking, nose offs and tonight the two were kicking each other in the face and momentarily were fighting in a big ball of fluff. It was too short and I watched carefully to not intervene. There’s no blood, but is this normal, how long will it go on for and how will I know when to separate them?

Hi!

It sounds like your boars have hit the teenage months and a major testosterone spike. Please separate if necessary, but follow the advice in our teenage guide re. re-introductions.
Take the time to carefully read our teenage guide; you should find it very helpful: Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Mine got a bit testy on a couple of occasions, and I split the cage for a couple of hours till they calmed down. However I knew it had been caused by my two new boys being out for floor time, and standing at the trio's cage winding them up.

I kept a good eye on them for another hour before settling to bed, and eventually the both left each other to sleep after lots of violent teeth chattering and kicks. In the morning there was still tension but they seemed fine, and I checked both for any possible scratches or bleeding but there is none. They seem to be getting along fine for now hopefully but I will still be keeping an eye on both!

The boys are around 5 months old, and the dimensions are 200cm by 200cm and most of their hidey’s have a two-way entrance so they can escape. However I only have one bowl for their pellets and one water bottle so should I invest in another set? They’ve been together since before I had took them on, so I reckoned they would have hopefully been fine.

Thank you all for your concern and advise it is greatly appreciated, and I will check out the links! Thanks again:)

Definitely do continue to keep an eye on them as at this age they are just hitting their hormonal teens which will continue until they are around a year old. Them being together before this age is no guarantee that they will continue to be ok with each other once hormones hit. Hopefully though they will be able to sort out their differences and will be friends for the long term! Their cage is a good size. The reason for having two food bowls and bottles is that one piggy cannot guard both bowls/bottles and stop the other pig from eating. It’s worth getting two bowls.

Back