• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Finally time to separate?

al34ex

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone - I a bit at a loss here with my 3 girls...

Cora and Charlie have been together since September 2020 (both around 9-10 months old at present), and I soon after learned that Charlie was pregnant before I got her. Ever since Cora and Charlie have been together, I’ve always noticed that Cora was pretty bossy, assertive, and even aggressive at times. Charlie accepted her role as the submissive pig pretty quickly. Every time Cora would chase Charlie and Charlie did the submissive squeal, I hated it, but I knew from this forum to keep them together, as they did have good, calm moments together, and the bullying did not result in blood being drawn or keeping Charlie from food. They were in 2 midwest cages put together without a divider, so they definitely had plenty of room and 2 of everything.

In November, Charlie gave birth to 2 boys and 1 girl. The 2 boys were adopted by a wonderful local veterinarian in December, and I kept the girl (Gigi). While Charlie was mid-pregnancy, I added a third midwest cage so they no had at least 21 sq ft or so of space in anticipation of the 3 babies (I knew Cora might have a difficult time with them). After birth, Cora surprised me a bit a she wasn’t too bossy with the babies (except when they tried to nurse from her haha). Near the end of November, the boys were separated from the 3 girls and adopted.

Fast-forward to January 2021: They were moved to a 2x8 C&C cage (the 3 Midwest cages together are now their “vacation home” if I go to visit my parents for longer than a couple of weeks, otherwise I have friends to take care of them in their 2x8 for short trips). They did ok for a while, with Cora doing some chasing each day and mounting during each of her seasons. Again, they also have at least 3 of everything (except water bottles - 2 of those) in this cage, as well as 7 hidey options.

A few weeks ago, Gigi turned 4 months old, and it is clear that she has entered the teenage months. She began having stronger seasons and challenging Charlie and Cora with nose-offs and some lunging. Most concerning over the past month is the level of aggression in Cora’s chasing behavior. It just seems like she is darting at Charlie at Gigi, and they crash in walls/hideys and look panicked, before finally stopping and just laying low to the ground in submission, sometimes making submission noises, and sometimes darting into the hay pile looking for a place to hide. Despite it being quite clear (in my opinion) that Cora is the top pig, Cora seems ver insecure in her position and keeps engaging in the behavior. Charlie and Gigi have not figured out who is 2nd pig yet, so perhaps this is part of what is causing this tension.

Over the past month, I’ve found small tufts of hair around the cage on 3 occasions (looking like one pulled them out of another - the hair is definitely Charlie or Gigi’s but I’m not sure which one). It seems like the behavior is escalating, and I’m constantly nervous that it will get to the point that they will hurt one another (this might be an over-reaction). I really don’t like when Charlie “looks” at Cora the “wrong way” and Cora lunges at her and starts to chase - it seems beyond normal dominance behavior and just plain aggressive. It’s how the behavior is escalating that has me most concerned - it is not just while they are in heat.

A few notes:
- I added a little 2nd floor ledge to the cage so Charlie can get out of the way when Cora is doing her aggressive/dominant zoomies, which helps sometimes. I might make a 1x1.5 grid loft with two ramps since the separate floor seems to help.
- They get floor time at least 5 nights per week for 2-4 hours. If I could, I would let them have floor time all the time, as they seem very happy with all the space, but I can only expand their cage so much and it’s already at a 2x8...
- My next plan was to add a 3 grid-wide section to the cage when I move to my new 2 bedroom apartment this summee to give even more space (they will have their cage in one bedroom and have the whole bedroom for floor time).
- All of them have been gaining or maintaining weight steadily since I got them, so they are not being bullied to the point of not being allowed to eat.
- Cora has no signs of mites/lice, and I’m assuming is far too young to be dealing with ovarian cysts that could cause this behavior (or perhaps I’m wrong)
- Many times, they seem like happy pigs, wheeking for veggies, zooming during floor time, talking to me, and munching on hay sometimes close to each other (even with the 2 hay racks and hay pile). I even catch them sleeping mear each other sometimes.

Thanks for taking the time to read over all of this. I’ve been following the forum for months, but I feel I have done everything I can to make this work, and these dynamics have been taking a toll in my mental health. I’m often on-edge watching them interact.

Is there anything else I could be doing to give their bonds a chance? Am I overreacting and might this intense behavior cease as they age out if the teenage phase? Can they live happily together long-term like this if the behavior doesn’t cease?

Again, I appreciate any advice, comments, or words of encouragement - thanks, y’all.

Forgot to add this:

Admittedly, I messed up their initial introduction back in September and didn't introduce on neutral ground, and instead put both of them in the original cage set-up (this original cage was far too small, and after I learned better they were moved to a larger enclosure within days). Introductions in the cage were over fairly quickly, as there was some teeth chattering and yelling, but Cora was clearly boss after only a couple of minutes.

Also, I tried an overnight trial separation through cage bars in October, but Charlie was insistent on getting to Cora, so this made me feel better about their bond. Would it be worth a try to have Charlie/Gigi (2x5) grids live side-by-side with Cora (2x3 grids) for a few weeks, and then try introductions with all 3 of them on neutral ground? Wondering if this might help to "reset" things after some time apart?

Thanks again for reading all of this - it's a lot, but just wanted folks to know about all necessary context and what steps I've taken thus far.

Update: I’ve started a trial separation through the cage bars after what I saw this morning.

This morning, Cora chased Charlie and Gigi like she does, and often when this happens, as it happened this morning, Charlie and Gigi ran frantically around the cage trying to get out of Cora’s way, but one of them would accidentally run into Cora. What looks like a fight would break out between the two: Cora’s mouth open and rustling in a ball for a few seconds until Gigi or Charlie can manage to get away.

The aggression really seems one-sided, and these little “fights” are never actually fights - it’s just Charlie and Gigi panicking for a few seconds trying to get away after accidentally running into Cora (which she HATES).

Any advice/thoughts would still be much appreciated. Sorry for replying twice on my own thread.

Cora definitely seems to be the dominant piggie from the signs she is displaying. The hard part is to work out if these signs of aggression are going to lead to fights or just bluster from Cora.
If you decided to separate Cora to live side by side then can you give Cora a 2 x 4 space like the other two girls. You then need to observe to see if your girls are happier as a twosome and that Cora has calmed down too and happy living side by side. Ultimately because Cora is quite young you could think of finding a rescue who could bond Cora with someone she chooses as a companion, a neutered boar perhaps may be a solution x
Good luck, I’ve had bonding problems, it can be quite scary at times x

Thanks so much @Bill & Ted - it definitely has been scary and stressful.

When I separated them this morning, I divided the cage into two 2x4 sections (Charlie and Gigi in one half, and Cora in the other half) - I expanded to a 2x8 C&C a few months ago in case this very thing had to happen. So far, Cora is not happy :)) - trying to "dig" under the bars and throwing her head back quite a bit. Charlie/Gigi have been napping and maybe seemed more relaxed (to earlier to tell right now). The were just all eating hay together from their piles right next to the bars, and Charlie/Gigi seemed to be ignoring Cora. Again, probably too early to tell how this will go, so I'll continue to monitor throughout the day.

Also, I already had Charlie scheduled to go to my cavy savvy vet on Friday (for an unrelated reason), so I called today and scheduled Cora an appointment at the same time so she can get a good look-over from a knowledgeable vet and (hopefully) rule out any sort of illness that could be causing the behavior.

Thanks so much @Bill & Ted - it definitely has been scary and stressful.

When I separated them this morning, I divided the cage into two 2x4 sections (Charlie and Gigi in one half, and Cora in the other half) - I expanded to a 2x8 C&C a few months ago in case this very thing had to happen. So far, Cora is not happy :)) - trying to "dig" under the bars and throwing her head back quite a bit. Charlie/Gigi have been napping and maybe seemed more relaxed (to earlier to tell right now). The were just all eating hay together from their piles right next to the bars, and Charlie/Gigi seemed to be ignoring Cora. Again, probably too early to tell how this will go, so I'll continue to monitor throughout the day.

Also, I already had Charlie scheduled to go to my cavy savvy vet on Friday (for an unrelated reason), so I called today and scheduled Cora an appointment at the same time so she can get a good look-over from a knowledgeable vet and (hopefully) rule out any sort of illness that could be causing the behavior.
Like you say she is rather young to have any cysts but a check up with a GP savy vet will ease your mind.
I would leave them separated for now, Cora should calm down, especially as your pair seem more relaxed. Cora has some company there through the bars so don’t feel bad. See what the vet says before making any more decisions x

I've read your detailed thread and wow.
Sorry I can't help as I'm not familer with bonding. . I offer you support and hope you and piggies work things out.
Be lovely if all would love together.

Thanks everyone - In an interesting update, after 24 hours of trial separation, Cora seems significantly calmer, as well - laying down out in the open (and she never did that before), and just generally less "annoyed" with less teeth chattering at me. I wonder if the dominance dynamics were also causing her some stress too, like she had to consistently show that she was in charge?

Anyways, I definitely update here after the vet appointment tomorrow

Thanks everyone - In an interesting update, after 24 hours of trial separation, Cora seems significantly calmer, as well - laying down out in the open (and she never did that before), and just generally less "annoyed" with less teeth chattering at me. I wonder if the dominance dynamics were also causing her some stress too, like she had to consistently show that she was in charge?

Anyways, I definitely update here after the vet appointment tomorrow
I think you might have hit the nail on the head there 😀 Cora was constantly having to show the others that she was boss it has probably worn her out and stressed her. She can relax too as she’s not having to dominate anyone now, so she can enjoy their company through the bars but not have the constant of being “the boss”

Next thing I’m going to do is buy a few pieces of plexiglass... Charlie’s always been a bar biter, but now with the separation grids in, she’s graduated to a whole new level of bar biting (and pulling) around veggie times - she’s the greediest pig I have for sure 😆

Report from the vet for Cora’s exam - I love my vet so much, and it is so worth the 4 hour round-trip drive to get to her:

- Overall, I will continue to monitor her behavior

- suggested hormone implant (lasts a year) or spaying if the aggression continues, as the vet has seen this help in other female pigs. My vet spays all of her female pigs, and she is very experienced with hormonal implants an spays, so there wouldn’t have to be an abdominal procedure.

Also, a fun fact: My vet has actually seen ovarian cysts in a 7 month-old pig! I had not idea they could start so young

- i’ll reevaluate this summer and at that point consider looking into either of these procedures
- everything else looks good

I’ll likely start another thread about the implant or spaying in the near future to ask for advice.

Thanks again everyone!

Gosh that’s such a suprise, I always thought it was older sows that got cysts. I have three girls so must keep an eye out for any hormonal aggression. I’m glad you have a great vet, so have I, he is fantastic but it’s a 300 mile journey to see him, but worth every mile. He’s far better than any of my local vets

Back