FIREWORKS

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jh

>:( >:( My guineas and I (sounds like royalty :)) are not happy at this time of year :'( We do not like the bangs screeches etc. One of my elderly guineas died at this time of year (a couple of years ago)  and I am sure it was down to over enthusiastic fireworks. The bangs were scary. I do try to keep them snug, but you can not predict when a BANG is going to go off. >:( >:( :'(

Reaction score
I understand your worries we normally have a few fireworks in the garden and I bring all the animals in with the radio on .
But fireworks start so early now we have already heard some ,if piggies are in sheds not too bad but otherwise make sure they have plenty of blankets at night,my piggies are all under cover and in a shed but our two bunnies desp need a snuggle as the are outside,desp looking!!!

A

Amsy1991

My piggies don't always show signs if distress but they do get jumpy.My parents hate them in the house(i want them to live indoors)but in winter and during this month and bonfire nights(s) i am allowed to take them indoors and cuddle them for ages.

Reaction score
The piggies don't seem to be bothered by it at all, but my big staffie boy is terrified :o

J

jh

The guineas do live indoors :) (when I lived in the country it was not a problem, less youths I suppose :D) and I try to cover them with blankets but because I (we) live in the middle of a city, it is not so easy to stop the bangs and flashes, and no one except the people setting them alight can predict when they are going to go BANG!!! >:(This is not just a problem for guinea owners but for cats, dogs and birds. :( Why can't fireworks be banned from shops? But there again they can be imported. >:(

A

Amsy1991

Thats true.Why can't fireworks have a set date and time that theygo off at.And people report to the police if fireworks are being used at the wrong time and date.Its a good idea..no?(lol)

J

Jillybean

My guineas don't usually seem to be too affected but our German Shepherd paces the house and hides in the cupboard. I think there should be more restrictions on firework sales but what I don't understand is, why do they have to be so loud? Does it work like the bigger the display the louder they have to be?

A

Amsy1991

Jillybean said:
My guineas don't usually seem to be too affected but our German Shepherd paces the house and hides in the cupboard. I think there should be more restrictions on firework sales but what I don't understand is, why do they have to be so loud? Does it work like the bigger the display the louder they have to be?

Hmm poor German Shep.Try covering his ears?

Yes why are fireworks so loud?

B

Beaney

We have had a few fireworks going off already around here and as the piggys are in the shed, they seem to have been OK so far - I have been going out to check regularly. They will be coming in on Saturday 4th though as there is a big display going on at the park near me and that will be loud.

My dog is the winner in the most laid back competition as he actually SLEEPS through them ::)

And this is the only time of year that I am pleased that my rabbit is deaf.

Personally (and I enjoy fireworks myself) I would prefer organised displays only and no fireworks sold in shops. That way you know when they are going to be on and you can prepare. It is also safer as you don't get kids setting them off in the streets.

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The guineas and bunny seem to be ok, but our staffie hates it - using rescue remedy every night, dont like using acp as he has such a low tollerance level to it, once he had a 25mg tablet and never woke for 20 hours - now 5mg floors him with terrible recovery.

Use to like fireworks but not anymore >:(

I dread going out for his eve walk - if one goes off i worry he will bolt - i have enough trouble keeping hold of him the way he pulls!

Grrrr fireworks - cause us so much stress every night now aswell.

Alison

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm really lucky, my dogs chase them if they go overhead whilst they're in the garden, I think that's the legacy my staffie left - he used to chase them too, whilst barking madly at them :-\

My piggies aren't bothered either tho' they are in a kind of shed with woollen curtains over the fronts of their hutches.

They've been going off near me for over a week, even in the daytime, what's that all about? ::)

I used to love them but now they sound like bombs & i'd rather they were banned & left to proper organised displays, much safer!

A

Amsy1991

I think that fireworks should be at organised displays only.Or a certain date and time is arranged and that is the only time you can let fireworks off.

I think the first one is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.