• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

First aid pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
As you all know our guinea can have medical problem which we as owners can treat ourself. So I invite you all to add your item to this list. Here is what i have thought got so far..
Johnson's...
Insecticidal powder
cage 'n' hutch
Insecticidal Spray
Tea tree skin Cream
Gorgeous Guinea Oil Soaks/shampoo/conditioners
Bob Martin On spot
Bob Martin Mite spray
Ivomec.

First Aid List for Piggies

Abbreviations - POM - prescription only medicine (from Vet)
P - Pharmacy
OTT - Over the counter (Boots etc)

CALPOL Paediatric for pain relief - P
METACAM - POM (vets) for pain relief and anti inflammatory
VASELINE - OTT for impacted anus/sore bums etc
KAMILOSAN CREAM - OTT for sore nipples etc
VICK AND OLBAS OIL- OTT for breathing difficulties
MICROPORE TAPE - OTT to tape up feet if pigs are scratching themselves sore
GARLIC CAPSULES - OTT burst capsule on fungal skin, fungal nose strips and also used as intestinal cleanser
CYSTEMME - OTT for pigs with cystitis.
HONEY - sooths inflamed bladders
METATONE TONIC - OTT to boost appetite of anorexic/feeding problems in pigs
GLUCOSE POWDER, HEINZ PURE FRUIT, HEIN ORGANIC BABY DINNERS, SMASH (or any instant mashed potato), CHINCHILLA PELLETS, for syringe feeding
lml and 5ml SYRINGES for syringe feeds and administering medicines (you can get these from LOUISE AT SQUEAKY PIGS)
PRODERM CREAM SHAMPOO, ALPHOSYL SHAMPOO - P also GORGEOUS GUINEAS SHAMPOO AND OIL SOAK for skin problems (from Chrissie on forum)
IVOMEC - POM (Louise can give you a telephone number of where to purchase this from) for mites
JOHNSON's ANTI MITE SPRAY (pet shop - for birds) to treat lice on coats.
OPTREX EYE BATH - P for flushing out eyes
BROLENE OR GOLDEN EYE OINTMENT - P for minor eye infections
BREWERS YEAST TABLETS - OTT (health food shops) for impacted anus. Mends soft tissue wounds etc
DAKTARIN ORAL GEL - P for fungal mouth infections
CYMEX CREAM - OTT for sores at mouth corners.
ORABASE PASTE - P to put over cymex to seal it and help heal mouth sores
ASERBINE - P Brilliant antiseptic for wounds, bites etc.
PROBIOTIC - OTT for use with antibiotics
IMAVEROLE DIP - POM - vets for fungal problems
SUDAFED (nasal and chesty one) COUGH SYRUP - OTT for breathing problems.
COTTON WOOL, COTTON BUDS
CANKER POWDER (from pet shops for cats) for ear mites
BAYTRIL, SEPTRIN (POM from vets) if ever offered get as much as is possible to keep in for emergencies. (Antibiotics)
NAIL CLIPPERS AND SHARP SCISSORS
ACTIVATED CHARCOAL TABLETS (from herbalist) for poisoning
GRIPE WATER - OTT for trapped wind and bloat
BUSCOPAN - P for stomach problems
DIORALYTE SOLUTION - OTT for dehydration, bladder problems, diarrhoea etc.
RESCUE REMEDY (available from boots and herbalist) for stressed, poorly or dying pigs.

Now for the natural remedies!

Cranberry juice - Urinary tract infections. Also a good source of vitamin C.
Bearberry Tincture - 5 drops added to drinking water daily up to five days.
Sweet-corn. Urinary tract infections. Leaves and corn silk threads. Feed as part of a fresh veg.
Echinacea - useful immune system booster for all infections particular skin and respiratory problems. Tincture 5 drops added to drinking water daily.
Coltsfoot - coughs and chesty ruttles. Fresh leaves added to greens or tincture 5 drops added to drinking water daily.
Blackberry leaves - feed a little of fresh young leaves in cases of diarrhea.
Raspberry leaves - feed as part of the fresh greens for pregnant sowes. Age old tonic used by generations of pregnant women to ease birth and tone ulterine muscles.
Squaw Vine - to ease pregnancy and birth. Tincture 5 drops in drinking water.
Rose petals - a lovely treat that once your piggies have tried they will never refuse! These have cooling and calming properties. Feed during travelling especially if this has to take place in hot weather.
Parsley - a favourite! Rich in vit C and calcium. 2 or 3 springs will give a piggie all the vit C it requires for one day. Very good for pregnant sows. As this is high in calcium feed sparingly as a treat only.
Devils Claw - pain killer for injuries, rheumatism and artheritis. Tincture 5 drops in drinking water daily.
Propolis - bee product that has antiseptic and anti viral properties. Useful in any type of infection. Tincture 5 drops in drinking water daily.
Rescue Remedy - use in cases of shock or during transport if piggie is nervous.
Distilled witchhazal - dilute 1:1 with water and apply to itchy patches of skin. A few drops of Tea Tree and/or lavender essential oils are soothing as well.

sorry i posted t his on squeaky pigs a few weeks back.

Thank you both for that information. Its great that you both posted it for any member in the future to look back on! :)

Ellie
TGPF Admin

Imagine keeping all them things in your cupboard for an emergency? lol. There is so much there which is fantastic as when there is a problem, we can always refer back to this thread. :)

I guess a lucky thing for me is I have a lot of things with having a baby!

What a wonderful list StromasDragon and Piggiewiggy ;D I would just like to add though that before giving any treatment to us piggies that you check on the correct dosage. It can vary between each piggy depending on what you are giving and out age, weight etc :)

Love Fozzie x

Hi - phew a really comprehensive list here! I find the key is to just get a few things and then add to it a bit at a time rather than getting lots all at once. That way it doesn't seem such a hefty sum to fork out for the wheeker's medicine chest! ;D Mind you I always get tempted by new things to add to it whenever I pop into a chemist haha!

At one of the BAR rodentology lectures we were given a huge list of things that are useful to have in your medicine chest. I shall have to have a look at it and see if there are any things on there that can be added to PiggyWiggy's already thorough list!

Alex

Well i know that this thread is too old but i want to continue it now, because i want to tell every one that knowledge of First Aid is really very important for us. Your thread is important for me, at present i am engaged in collecting different information regarding First Aid and all. And while all this i found a great site http://www.gotoaid.com, which has helped me a lot know separately about humans and pets First Aid. I really like to recommend this site to all for you so that every one can know about First Aid and can help others in any case...

You will have more drugs than a pharmacy!
First aid is what it says. There are extremely few drugs than are First aid.
The priority drugs need to be for pain relief, eg Calpol and Buscopan, the latter is an anti-spasmodic, not a pain-killer, but it is a vital drug should a pig develop colic.
I would include powdered charcoal in the kit both for poisoning and diaorrhea cases.
You have to draw the line somewhere when assembling a collection of drugs. Not withstanding the fact that you need to be able to diagnose the condition before knowing which drug to administer.
I have available an emergency oxygen supply which has revived a few pigs that would otherwise have died. In spite of this I do not advocate it as first aid, mouth to mouth can be just as effective.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back