• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Fits/Epilepsy

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephieAck

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi
Could anyone give me some information on fits in guinea pigs.
Do you know much about them?
I think one of the babies is having mini fits, Ill explain why.
Pixie, the runt of the litter, twice in her first week looked as though she was convulsing and couldnt breath during those times and she was truly exhausted afterwards.
We have noticed, over the six weeks of her life, that now and then her head begins to twitch and she goes a bit loopy, she sort of turns in circles and is VERY unsettled and her teeth begin to chatter.
Its definately not a popcorning sort of thing...that is VERY different, she can throw herself around good style during a popcorning session lol
I was holding her tonight and for me she never keeps still...but she just lay on me, flat on her belly and looking a little afraid...then her head began to twitch and she looked as though she was trying to get something out of her ear, she got up and squeeked as she turned in a circle a few times and her teeth began to chatter, against her will I think...the head twitching isnt subtle either.
Afterwards she was exhausted and just lay on me, staring into nowhere, and loving to be cuddled...now, we get on, I fed her by hand from birth because she was so tiny that she was forced out of the milk line...so we do have a bond, but she has bonded to my sister, who she is going to live with when the weather warms up a little, so on me she normally doesnt sit very still for very long, so the scary behaviour is definately out of character.
Could anyone tell me if this sounds like little fits, Ill take her to see the vet obviously, but what is the prognosis for an epeleptic guinea pig? Is it good? Do they have a good long life? Are they suffering?
Any advice would be awesome thanks x

I'm sorry have no experience in this but as she was the runt of the litter, it may be possible that she has brain damage? I know of it that it's happened, but like I said no experience..
Maybe you can get to see a really good vet or rodentologist?

Kelly xx

Its funny that you say that (not funny haha but funny...) because I was only explaining the other day that I think that maybe she is a little 'special' due to a lack of oxygen at birth.

Thanks Piggie...Ive looked at that and the description he gives doesnt quite fit what she does. Ill have to take her to the vets and ask about it all.

does sound she might be special. didnt know the full story. unles she does have a problem with her ear. let us know what the vet says. good luck. Michele

Hi, there are different reasons for fitting, you need to get her to a vet to find out why its happening. A rodentologist could help with a suggestion as to diagnosis but ultimately you need to see a vet they are the only ones who can prescribe the drugs you need and diagnose. I am epileptic (grand mal), you are pretty out of it while fitting, you only get hurt from the knocks you take! Make sure there are no sharp objects etc. I also feel crap for 24 hours after a fit, no idea how a guinea feels though. :-\

Its your choice, (and you know guinea) as to whether she is to have medication for long term or not- just bear in mind that they may not get it right first time as she is a growing pig...

Maybe she's OK and this is as bad as it'll get, I would see a vet and then go from there. But if the fitting gets worse or more frequent perhaps you ought to reconsider.
Don't be hasty if you think she's OK.
Make sure you're sister's aware of all this, you might want to keep an epileptic pig inside where you can monitor if the fits are worse/more frequent...

Keep us posted

My Arthur has fits - his situation seems very like your Pixie. Arthur was a runty baby that came into rescue with me a year or so ago and I noticed pretty much straight away that he wasn't right although it took me a little while to actually see him fit. When he was younger it used to be very frequent but now he only has them once or twice a month. We think his problems are caused by some kind of brain damage but as he is a rescue pig I know nothing of his background.

He has grown into a beautiful pig but he is small and is certainly a bit odd to say the least! I do not medicate him as his condition is stable.

If you want any help/advice let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back