• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fleece blanket care

Elli Payne

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I am a long time guinea pig owner and I just discovered the fleece blanket method. I have been using the fleece method for quite some time, but cannot seem to get the smell out completely. What are some remodies?

What kind of smell can you not get rid of? How often do you change the fleece? You could also add some distilled vinegar in the conditioner compartment when washing. I also do a hot wash once a month.

You need something in the middle to soak up and lock away the wee. The guide I linked in earlier explains everything.

Washable puppy mats are great under fleece, or washable incontinence mattress protector mats :) or fleece cage liners can be made (or bought) with an absorbant middle layer sewn inside!

Absorbant layer? I have just been using the blanket itself and just layered itself up with itself.

As the others have said, you need an absorbent layer underneath the fleece otherwise it won’t wick the urine through and the urine will just sit there in the fleece meaning the fleece is always wet and will cause smells.
As the others have said you need puppy pads or a mattress protector underneath the fleece so the urine soaks through the fleece to the underlayer which then allows the fleece to remain dry.

Back