• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fleece

T&A

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey, i sweep my guineas fleece 2x a day and take it outside to brush once a week before I wash it. Often the fleece gets a hard dried layer of poo on top of it and it never washes well? Anyone have any tips? Thanks:)

I have proper cage fleece but I cover this with bath mats as I find these wash easier. The mats get changed out every couple of days. I use a jeans setting on the washing machine as it has more water because the fleece absorbs a lot. I use a laundry egg and white vinegar. Maybe laundry balls will help as they give an extra beating like the egg?

I use laundry balls which hold the washing liquid and wash one set of fleece on a cottons setting

How is the layer forming? That implies the guinea pigs are either doing soft poos or are spending a lot of time sitting in one spot.
I vacuum all of my fleeces and beds before washing. It is time consuming but I hate there being an accumulation of hair!

I brush mine off outside with a stiff brush but they need washing every 5 days. I agree yours sound like they either have soft poop or they are pooping in a pile and then weeing on it and sitting or standing on it. Poop is normally loose and dry on the top of the fleece and can be brushed or picked up.

Yes often they poo in the same spot and see all over it! Then a layer forms on the fleece which stays in the wash bag and makes the fleece dirty

I use pee pads where they sit the most and change them every day.
The only thing I can think is scraping the poop off the fleece with an old knife before you wash it but it really shouldn't be getting like that any way.

Try changing the fleece more often ... not necessarily a full cage cleaning, just changing out fleece more often. Depending on what you're dealing with, it may be easier wet or dry ... wet if it'll kind-of peel off in a clump; dry if it'll brush or pop off. Wet is hard to brush, but dry can really cling depending on how it dries. A curry comb helps with brushing efficiency. If the poo is crusting onto the fleece, you may need to soak and scrub the fleece before putting it in the wash.
My girls definitely have favorite corners to do their business ... the times I have trouble is when they decide to flip up a corner, poo underneath the fleece, then cover it back up and piddle on top ... and that's why their towels are stained in the corners ... they're clean and normally textured, just stained. :no: I also have a scraper for the bottom of the cage when they hide poo under their mats; a scraper and extra vinegar.

Back