• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Floos got a swollen foot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
found his foot swollen this morning, looks a little like Bears I checked it out and as i touched it pus squidged out, so he is now on baytril and am clenaing it like mad with hibiscrub, there is no way he is going to lose this foot,( its a back one) like Bear did, he has either been nipped ( dont think so) unless artie nipped him back for nipping his nose, or its bumble foot his pad is swollen as well and according to my books sounds like it, he is holding it out backwards so must be sore for him, he is now in a plastic cage my medical cage with vet bed and a cuddle cup and he looks quite cosy, hes also in the girls shed so that should give him smells to dream over, lol he has had a banana as well so getting very spoilt,
I'm going to do what the vet would do with baytril and cleaning first, if no luck then he will go to the vet if its not healing up,

I'm thinking dejavoux here with Bear and am not liking it, have just been sitting here worrying about him, I'm preying i dont have to make another hard decision, I always said if it happened again I would not have it removed BUT........ what do I do, I'm making myself feel sick, i took Bear dying so bad I cant go through it again, so soon. :'(

It's a difficult one love. I sympathise with you greatly.

If it's caught in really good time, which it may be and you've started him on Baytril already (which is fab!), take him to the vets early and see if they can remove the cyst/abcess without it leading to any problems straight away?

I'm going to make an appointment for friday then if its started to clear up by then not be too worried about the appointment but if not then I will take him but be so scared, I'm so worried they will say to either put him to s...p or remove the leg , what a choice, this has never happened to me before Bear and am thinking why is it happening again, maybe it is bumble foot and maybe Bear had bumble foot, (I know he did'nt because of the Xrays) but I'm so full of doubt and worrys,
the foots quite swollen which was what made me check it out, but he does'nt seem too bothered by it.

aw, I'm soo sorry to hear! i hope all goes well for you. thinking of you. xx

oh Michelle I'm so sorry to hear this. I really hope he'll be ok. I'm sure he'll be fine. You're keeping it clean and you have the Baytril so you're doing all you can.

Love and hugs to you both
xx

floo has had 2 doses of baytril now and i have just soaked the foot in warm/hot water with hibiscrub in and bless his heart he just sat perched on my hand while i dangled his foot in the water for about 10 minutes, no more pus came out but it is almost double the normal size, he seems to cope with it, and has stopped dragging it behind him now and he is walking on it, I have made an appointment for friday morning at 9.50 with the boss Mr Beckingham, he knows I will try anything, but I wanted to try for a few days to see if the baytril works, if not he will know its not worth trying that, fingers crossed it does though, daughters worried it could be a Bear thing again as well,

Thinking of you and Floo, keep us posted. x x

Poor little Floo and you too. You've had a bad time lately, but I'm really hoping that this is not too serious and a course of treatment, maybe antibiotic ointment, will make Floo better.
Love to both,
Caroline x

100_1486_0002.jpg

thought i would add this sweet pic of my brave little boy, ( the other day he was a little sod for nipping artie )

still swollen but he is not worried by it amazingly, he lets me soak it in warm water with hibiscrub, and then gently with cotton buds see if any pus comes out, a little did this morning, he is eating and is still mad as a march hare, had his anti biotics so 3 doses now hes had, by tomorrow he would have had 5 , hopefully enough to make a difference,

sounds like all is going along fine. keep it up and good luck. let us know what happens. xx

went into boots and had a good nose around and found magnesium sulphate in a little jar which is used for boils and infections it draws it out, am going to take it to the vet tomorrow and ask if I can use it on floo, I remember mum using it on me when we had deep splinters as kids, just dont know if he could have a bad reaction or be poisoned by it , so not taking risks until vets ok it tomorrow,

if its ok to use could save us a small fortune in similar problems, only cost me £1.24
bathed his foot tonight and managed to get pus out of near his ankle so red blood flowed out cleaning the pus right out the rest does'nt seem so hot and swollen, but am not taking an chances and getting my hopes up, funnily enough he has started doing neck snuggles with me just like Bear did and he likes being wrapped and cuddled like a baby patting his back ahhhhhhhhhhh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back