• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Food recommendations for a thin piggy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have one piggy, Elvis, who has always been on the thin side. He eats plenty, and is otherwise healthy, but he's just skinny (like the fur sticks up where his hip bones stick out). Now he's getting older, and I think that his lack of body fat is starting to effect him as it is heading toward winter. It seems like he's burning more calories trying to stay warm than he is eating.

We have a lava lamp next to the guinea pig cage to add a bit of warmth without being too directly hot. He's got plenty of bedding and a little house that is warmer. He never snuggles with his cagemate Spike because they just don't get along that well.

Does anyone have any suggestions for food or treats we could give Elvis to help maybe get a little more fat on him?

I've just started feeding my three barley rings as a treat, apparently they're good for fattening up your piggies.
I got mine from animalmagicpetsupplies.co.uk
hope this helps :)

Sprinkle of oats with their food

Sweetcorn is good in the winter if their outside

They're indoor piggies, but I'm mostly concerned because they're getting older, and our house is cold and poorly insulated. I'll look at those options. (Those barley rings look promising and not too expensive.) Hopefully Elvis won't get too picky. But he's usually pretty good about trying new food.

Oats will help with weight gain as well as sweetcorn as its fattening (so not too much) but just enough. Barley rings are also good and I used to know people who gave them to their horses who were in poor condition.

Elvis just turned four, and his cagemate Spike is five. I want to be careful with what I give Elvis because I have to make sure it won't effect Spike in any bad ways. Fortunately, Spike is also a little on the thin side, though closer to the normal range.

Updating

Just to update, we've been giving Elvis and Spike a little bit of oats every couple days (which they absolutely love), and they're looking better. They've put on a little weight, but now they aren't lethargic and don't seem so tired. So Elvis especially is at least taking in as many calories as he's burning, and he seems much more himself now. In time he might even put on a little more weight. So thanks.

Have you thought about having Elvis wormed? Parasites can build up in the guts over time.

Glad to hear they are gaining condition. I have been feeding my outdoor piggies up for the winter and they are getting oats and bran in the morning (soaked) and have a plentiful supply of fresh hay and pellets. They also get daily redigrass and veggies. I have also given them barley rings and flaked peas. So far they have maintained their weight even though we have had marked temperature drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back