• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Foot growth?

Liss

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So I went to cut my guinea’s nails and noticed a hard lump under her foot, in fact both front feet my other guinea doesn’t have this- I’m going to try and get a vet apppointment but wondering if anyone know what could be causing this?

a01AF5445-FC15-474F-8C52-4564625C530B.jpeg

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
So I went to cut my guinea’s nails and noticed a hard lump under her foot, in fact both front feet my other guinea doesn’t have this- I’m going to try and get a vet appointment but wondering if anyone know what could be causing this?View attachment 147129
Hi!

Spurs are very common in guinea pigs. They are simply dead skin growths and are best left alone unless they grow out of the side of the foot and are liable to rip off live skin (which can be very painful and crippling and is the reason for not intervening unless absolutely essential). However, this is not the case with yours so there is no need to worry!

I would be very careful about cutting them back yourself as you can do quite some damage if you cut into still live skin and the stub left may catch on things even more.

4GorgeousGuineas

New Born Pup
Reaction score
One of my boars has foot spurs and all I do is trim them carefully when they get too long. Definitely doesn't warrant a vets visit.

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Those just look like foot spurs... some guinea pigs get them. They are hard, calloused areas, but aren't harmful and don't require any care. You can trim them if they get long and are catching on things (making sure to trim only the hard, crusty bits and not adjacent to the normal tissue!), but honestly I've really never had any that cause problems or needed cutting. Hope this helps!

Liss

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thankyou all, it doesn’t look quite as bad maybe some of the dead skin has come off itself so I will leave well alone.