• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Found a lump on rodney

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andrea

Whilst bathing him the other day, I found a lump behind one of his nipples. It's quite firm, about the size of a marble and seems a little tender.

Could it be cancerous?

I am unsure of his exact age, as he is a rescue, but I would say approx 18 months old.

If need be, I will take him to the vets.

Get it checked out IMO

Billie had cysts (3 at once) and a simple operation got them out. They were sent away for testing for malignancy but the vet said they were just benign little gristly bits

Billies Mum said:
Get it checked out IMO

I agreee with Billiesmum, lumps and bumps are always worth having checked by your vet - especially when they are in an unusual position like this. The vet might advise simply keeping an eye on it for a shortwhile or if he is concerned advise a biopsy, as Billiesmums vet did.

Good luck, hope all goes well and try not to worry...as if!

Barbara

after a while experience often tells you what the lumps might be I always deal with my pigs cysts myself, but abcess and unknown lumps always need a vets diagnosis, good luck hope its nothing major, let us know

Good luck with Rodney, hopefully it's just a little cyst that wont cause problems. :-*
Duke has one, which our vet checked out and it's not changed in size or anything for over a year now :)

michellemuffin said:
after a while experience often tells you what the lumps might be I always deal with my pigs cysts myself, but abcess and unknown lumps always need a vets diagnosis, good luck hope its nothing major, let us know

What the best thing to do with cysts?

Billies Mum said:
michellemuffin said:

What the best thing to do with cysts?

I leave them well alone and simply monitor them. Genrerally they grow to a certain size and then stop. Unfortunately some carry on and can rupture and become infeced. And that isn't pleasant! Have seen one or two of those.
If they grow too big, they can be surgically removed by your vet. I've had a few guineas that have needed them removed.

Some books advise squeezing them...but that is not a good idea to me, I don't think any of us should be messing around with lumps and bumps.
Most cysts appear on the rumps and back, sometimes on the shoulder area. But of course they can appear anywhere.

One of my piggies had a small cysts about 2 weeks ago, it did eventually burst. I kept it vary clean and I did gently squeeze it every second day for about a week. Now it is all dried up just a tiny little mark where it was.Will keep a very close eye on him because some times they can return.
Carol C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back