• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Found this in my guinea pigs food bowl and idk what it is.

Jbrodsky73

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I went to go clean out my guinea pigs cage in the morning like I normally do and I find this mush kind of stuff in there food bowl and I have no clue what it is and if I should be worried or not.

Attachments

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
What do you normally put in the bowl? Could they have wee'd in the bowl and it mix with some pellets/pellet dust?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Please only use food bowls for feeding veg and the 1 tablespoon of pellets that guinea pigs should eat max. in a day and remove them between meals. this minimises soiling and encourages your piggies to more hay, which should make around 80% of the daily food intake and is crucial for dental health (guinea pig teeth have evolved agains the very abrasive silica in grass and hay), gut health and through that a longer average life expectancy. Your piggies are not losing out on vitamin C because grass is actually high in it (the reason why guinea pigs never had the need to make their own in the first place) and hay also still contains some.