• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Freddie's good news!

furryfriends (TEAS)

Forum Founder
Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Director at TEAS (East Hunsbury) Northampton
Freddie’s got some really good news to share with you all! If you remember, he had surgery, on the 5th November, to drain a very deep abscess that was attached to his bowel. The positioning of the abscess meant it couldn’t be removed, so after the pus was removed , it was stitched closed and he was started on a long course of Zithromax. This course lasted 6 weeks and every couple of weeks Simon felt his abdomen, to make sure the abscess wasn’t refilling. It was then a very anxious wait, after stopping the antibiotic, as there was always the risk the abscess would then refill. Simon saw Freddie on Friday and had a really good feel of his tummy, while I held my breath, dreading what he might find! There was no sign of the abscess! Freddie will continue to have regular checks, but so far, so good! 😊

Great news and a fabulous photo of the happy chap, too
He's an absolute sweetheart. He's got neurological problems and doesn't have huge control over his head, but he's so happy and loves his best mate, Alfonso!

Brilliant to have such good news to bring in the new year, well done to you and to Simon for helping this adorable little fuzzy chap :)

Brilliant to have such good news to bring in the new year, well done to you and to Simon for helping this adorable little fuzzy chap :)
Freddie is so lucky, because the abscess was only detected because I took him in for a pre-op check, to get him neutered. He'd just lost his little friend, Truffle and I thought it would be an good idea to neuter him, so he could live with some of the girls. The abscess was so deep, there is no way it would've been detected, without the thorough examination that Simon performed. The abscess was very thin walled and it grew very quickly from when it was discovered until it was drained. Simon said it would've burst at some point, which would've resulted in Freddie's very quick death! The ironic thing is, just days after the discovery of the abscess, Stanley died suddenly, leaving Alfonso without a mate, so Freddie was paired with him. If Stanley had died just a couple of days earlier, I wouldn't have taken Freddie to vets for the pre-op check, as wouldn't have needed to get him neutered. As it is, Simon neutered him at the same time as he did the abscess surgery, so if Freddie ever finds himself on his own again, the options have been opened up! For now though, he loves his little mate and I hope they have many years together.

How is little Kreacher doing? Piggy daddy was wondering how he was getting on seeing as they bonded for half an hour over some grated veg on the piggy train stop off during the summer!

How is little Kreacher doing? Piggy daddy was wondering how he was getting on seeing as they bonded for half an hour over some grated veg on the piggy train stop off during the summer!
As long as he gets his two weekly dental, then he's just great! He can't go any longer between dentals, but for the sake of 5 minutes every couple of weeks, he lives a completely normal life and eats like any other piggy! He is going to meet his new friend, Claude, in the next couple of days, so hoping they are going to become best buddies!

As long as he gets his two weekly dental, then he's just great! He can't go any longer between dentals, but for the sake of 5 minutes every couple of weeks, he lives a completely normal life and eats like any other piggy! He is going to meet his new friend, Claude, in the next couple of days, so hoping they are going to become best buddies!
Great news, please post some photos of Kreacher and Claude if the bonding goes well! We love updates on all your special piggies x

Great news, please post some photos of Kreacher and Claude if the bonding goes well! We love updates on all your special piggies x
Here’s the little man. It only took about 20 attempts to get one pic that wasn’t blurred. He can’t sit still! 😊

017B6FD3-0242-45B9-A0C2-9EDF2E270349.jpeg

Aw bless him, he looks so happy and healthy, when we met him in the summer he couldnt close his mouth because of those giant overgrown teeth! :)
He’s like a different piggy. His eye completely healed too, with a change of eye drop! He’s quite a character, but love him to bits! 😍

Well done Freddie, what a relief this far! Reminds me of when Buddy got his abscess and unfortunately being deep seated meant that there were no symptoms until it was already quite large. He had to have part of his bowel removed and unfortunately he didn't survive for long after the surgery (literally a couple of hours). He was one of my biggest "what if" piggies and I do miss him deeply

Lovely pics of gorgeous piggies and what a brilliant job you’re doing caring for them all!

Back