1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. With Warm Weather predicted in the UK - Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Free Samples!

Discussion in 'Guinea Pig Chat' started by stargrrlclaire, Aug 20, 2008.

1. lawz

lawz Junior Guinea Pig

@Rosehip cheeky piggie! a couple of mine clearly pull a disgruntled face or put their nose in air and turn head in a couldnt care less manner!...i kid you not! my dad didnt believe me until i said try ruby with that...and he did and her face was brilliant!

2. Rosehip

Forum Donator 2015/16

Haha! They all have their own little characters don't they!
    Having them inside means that we notice so much more I think, but I'm sure the piggies I used to have weren't this fussy with food!

All 3 refuse any sort of apple, and aren't too keen on celery unless it is chopped into nice little chunks! A piece the length of my finger is cuddled or sat on, but little slices are nommed!
    Lettie wont eat parsley, and Piper wont eat mint, likewise Piper hates the Science Selective, where as Lettie and Bluey will eat it but only when the other bits are gone!
    Bluey hates Alfalfa, Lettie nibbles a bit and Piper inhales it, and all 3 hate the alfalfa bales, even if it is soaked or crumbled!
    Fussy sods! :-D
    Oh, and Piper wont have a box or house to sleep in, she has to have her snuggle sack, Lettie is particular about the size of her box pillows - she likes them slightly larger than her box with it perched on top rather than it fitting in, and Blue likes a snuggle cup on top of her box as she spends most of the time perched like a bird!
    I have odd bods!
    x

3. lawz

lawz Junior Guinea Pig

@Rosehip all 8 of mine are sugar junkies and love fruit, but its their once a month treat and then i have to give them a small bit each so they can scurry off otherwise if i put in bowl chubster beau annihilates the lot!..as for anything else......if its edible its gone! my new 3, when i first fed them a small bit of veg it was gone that quick if ide blinked ide have missed it! good job my eyes were stuck open in shock!
    Just having to work out there breeds now is baffling to me...think i might have colours nailed all bar rosies

Rosehip likes this.
  4. Cavy Kung-Fu

Cavy Kung-Fu Adult Guinea Pig

I love this thread! Thanks so much for everyone's input, just sent a good couple of emails out and fingers crossed.

Supreme pet foods have already emailed me back to tell me my sample will be sent out on Monday!

5. Data's Piggies

Data's Piggies Junior Guinea Pig

I remember awhile back, just a day or two before getting my two Piggies that I got some dried banana and pineapple cubes from one of those offers. I saw the offer on a website I play on and I figured I'd try and feed them to my macaw but my Piggies enjoy a little in their pellets too. :D

6. Chlawee

Chlawee Junior Guinea Pig

How did you go about it? Like who do I email and what do I say? Hahha

7. Cavy Kung-Fu

Cavy Kung-Fu Adult Guinea Pig

I just emailed a few people telling them that I was interested in their product but don't want to buy it until I'm sure that my piggies will eat it as they're fussy (they're not that fussy but still XD) and ask if they will send a sample (if you have more than two pigs I'd tell them as they may send more if you have a lot of piggies!) so you can test it before you commit to the product.

Worked every time and got a lot of samples, try Readigrass (really nice people), Timothy Hay UK (again , really nice!), Burgess Excel (although they didn't send much) and Selective pet food (also very nice and they have great piggy nuggets). I tried a few others but these ones I had success with!

Happy freebie hunting!

8. RavenRed

RavenRed Junior Guinea Pig

Hi all,
    After reading through this thread I chanced my arm with the following brands:

Wagg - told me they don't do samples and the 2kg bag should be a good start for me. They mentioned their sister company Harrington does pellets...

Burgess - Advised they don't have any samples at the moment but asked if I wanted leaflets :/

Supreme/ Science Selective - Asked for my address so they could send a sample - Boom! :D

May try others as this is really useful. Not just for free stuff but to get the opportunity for the piggies to try out different varieties, not to mention saving money from buying big bags they won't touch.

MoAndSue likes this.
  9. Flamestriker

Forum Donator 2016/17

The company that does Bunny...do they do free samples? I do't want to get a bag at the price available if my piggies won't touch it.

I bought a 380g bag of Science Selective for under £1 so I don't mind if they don't like it.

I wonder if J R Farm does free samples?

10. MoAndSue

MoAndSue New Born Pup

Here is my response from Burgess today:

Thank you for your enquiry. I’m afraid we don’t actually do samples of our food as we have a 100% money back palatability guarantee instead, so please do feel reassured to try it if you’d like to. Guinea Pigs tend to be quite fussy though and if they like their existing Blackcurrant and Oregano food they may turn their noses up at the mint just because it’s different. As the nugget portion of their diet is only tiny and the bulk of their diet (85 – 90%) is good quality feeding hay and grass, you can more easily add variety to their diet by mixing herbs such as the Excel Nature Snacks throughout their feeding hay to promote natural foraging behaviours and provide mental stimulation. A good handful of leafy greens every day also provides variety as there are lots of different ones you can offer. You can even have growing herb pots on your windowsill for an easily accessible supply.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards

Kären Smith RVN

Consumer Care

Burgess Pet Care, Victory Mill, Priestmans Lane, Thornton Le Dale, North Yorkshire, YO18 7RU

Tel 0800 413 969

11. Rosannah

Rosannah New Born Pup

Readigrass & supreme DO free samples.
    Have message others! *fingers crossed* :luv:

Stayc1989 likes this.
  12. Stayc1989

Stayc1989 Teenage Guinea Pig

I have just bought a new hay for the piggies to try, it's gone down really well I bought it from poundstretcher for £2.99 for a 1kg bag. It's called hi 5 a-day and it's a complementary Timothy hay feed which contains pumpkin, sweet peppers, beetroot and marigold. And it says it's more suitable for adults as it has a low calcium content. I found their website, which looks pretty new and this hay is not on there but if anyone wants to contact them to see if they offer any free stuff here is their website :)

Animal Dreams - Pet Bedding