COVID-19 Freedom day, how do you feel about it?

weepweeps

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
I took my mother in law to the dentist today. We were waiting outside to be called in. The receptionist came out and told us to come on in as restrictions had been lifted 🤦🏻‍♀️. I can’t keep up with what’s allowed and what’s not. 🤨

Black piggies

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
I’m not happy at all. I’ve become a major germaphobe since all of this. I’m too scared to touch anything. Shopping I leave things for days before using them (3 days) and I won’t touch my phone at all while out shopping. It’s horrible.

With masks lifted and people touching things and sneezing and spreading it I’ll be even more scared to touch things. I’ve had one COVID shot so far. Next is at the end of August.

i desperately want to go to conventions again and miss my friends - I haven’t seen anyone since November 2019…. But I believe the masks are a good idea. I will continue to wear mine.
I went through a stage of that but the evidence is stronger and stronger that touch isn't a big spreader of covid. It's airborne. So I've stopped worrying about shopping deliveries and post, and happy with mask wearing.

Last edited:

worried val of york

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
i went to the dentist today. Masks were required once inside and I had to socially distance whilst sat waiting to be seen. I also volunteer in a charity shop which is tiny. Masks are required and numbers allowed in are still limited. Because of the heat it has been quiet in the shop so far anyway as not many shoppers around.

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I went through a stage of that but the evidence is stronger and stronger that touch isn't a big spreader of covid. It's airborne. So I've stopped worrying about shopping deliveries and post, and happy with mask wearing.
Yeah I had someone tell me that too but then he doesn’t believe COVID is a big deal, fell out with his family Over it and refuses to wear a mask…. So I didn’t believe him.

so do you now just buy stuff and no longer wash your hands? I would love to buy milk and use it without worrying about washing my hands every time I touch the bottle ^^;;

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
I nipped to our local shop to pick up some bits for lunch today and it was quiet. Sign had been taken down about wearing a mask. The staff weren't wearing any but still had the perspex screens up so I didn't put mine on. I have to say I felt very anxious and naughty going in. It was so unusual

Black piggies

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
Yeah I had someone tell me that too but then he doesn’t believe COVID is a big deal, fell out with his family Over it and refuses to wear a mask…. So I didn’t believe him.

so do you now just buy stuff and no longer wash your hands? I would love to buy milk and use it without worrying about washing my hands every time I touch the bottle ^^;;
Ah I'm not like that person. I'm quite OCD, risk avoidant, I'm a health professional and have looked at the research about transmission. I always wash my hands when I've put shopping away now, but that's it. A while back, when I thought covid could be picked up from touching things, I was putting my mail in quarantine for days and things like that 😁

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ah I'm not like that person. I'm quite OCD, risk avoidant, I'm a health professional and have looked at the research about transmission. I always wash my hands when I've put shopping away now, but that's it. A while back, when I thought covid could be picked up from touching things, I was putting my mail in quarantine for days and things like that 😁
It’s really nice to hear from a health professional :)
I still quarantine my mail, wash the heck out of my hands which are so dry now… and as a major fingernail chewer from anxiety I worry if I touch anything new I’ll catch it because of my subconscious nail chewing….

I won’t even touch handles in my own home as my family are more than happy to touch items after purchase. ^^;

You wash your hands after putting shopping away but if you want to eat one of the items do you wash them again? Sorry for the questions. I really want to be less freaked out over touching things.

Black piggies

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
It’s really nice to hear from a health professional :)
I still quarantine my mail, wash the heck out of my hands which are so dry now… and as a major fingernail chewer from anxiety I worry if I touch anything new I’ll catch it because of my subconscious nail chewing….

I won’t even touch handles in my own home as my family are more than happy to touch items after purchase. ^^;

You wash your hands after putting shopping away but if you want to eat one of the items do you wash them again? Sorry for the questions. I really want to be less freaked out over touching things.
At one point I was wiping everything that came in the shopping delivery but now I just wash my hands after putting stuff away, and then treat all the food normally. Touch it and eat it OK.
My slight OCD has turned to close quarters airborne transmission. If a jogger runs right by me puffing and panting, I'll turn my head away. If a child is having a coughing fit in the supermarket, I'll really be avoiding them!
It's all a nightmare isn't it.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score

While the risk of catching Covid by touch is small since the virus load that comes with it generally is too small to cause an acute infection, I do still give milk bottle handles and screw tops as well as any smooth goods surfaces used within 3 days or stored in a cold enviroment a quick wipe with F10 (I use the concentrate, so I just make a fairly diluted solution in an old spray bottle that I also use for cage cleaning) when I unpack and put them away.
This makes any further repeated use very safe; which was a major consideration before both of us had our jabs since hub hasn't exactly got a concept for hygiene but is at a higher risk level due to age/underlying health issues. The best way was to ensure that he had as little direct contact with the virus as possible. He does the driving and door opening while I do any in-store shopping (as little as possible), click and collect shopping transfer and disinfecting at home so he doesn't come into direct contact with anything carried in until it is 'safe'. :)

Having got as far as this without catching Covid, I personally see no reason to suspend common sense and not continue with the basic measures of distancing, mask wearing and hand washing (disinfecting my hands when I take off the mask and put it away), when coming home and again after having put everything away) as well as sticking to quiet hours and safer outdoors alternatives (like continuing to pick up prepaid supermarket and pet supplies outside the shop) whenever possible to not just keep us safe but others, too.

I am definitely in the group erring on the cautious side; and there is nothing wrong with that! Times are stressful enough so doing what makes you feel safer will help to keep your stress levels lower. ;)

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
While the risk of catching Covid by touch is small since the virus load that comes with it generally is too small to cause an acute infection, I do still give milk bottle handles and screw tops as well as any smooth goods surfaces used within 3 days or stored in a cold enviroment a quick wipe with F10 (I use the concentrate, so I just make a fairly diluted solution in an old spray bottle that I also use for cage cleaning) when I unpack and put them away.
This makes any further repeated use very safe; which was a major consideration before both of us had our jabs since hub hasn't exactly got a concept for hygiene but is at a higher risk level due to age/underlying health issues. The best way was to ensure that he had as little direct contact with the virus as possible. He does the driving and door opening while I do any in-store shopping (as little as possible), click and collect shopping transfer and disinfecting at home so he doesn't come into direct contact with anything carried in until it is 'safe'. :)

Having got as far as this without catching Covid, I personally see no reason to suspend common sense and not continue with the basic measures of distancing, mask-wearing and hand washing (disinfecting my hands before I take off and put it away), when coming home and again after having put everything away) as well as sticking to quiet hours and safer outdoors alternatives (like continuing to pick up prepaid supermarket and pet supplies outside the shop) whenever possible to not just keep us safe but others, too.

I am definitely in the group erring on the cautious side; and there is nothing wrong with that! Times are stressful enough so doing what makes you feel safer will help to keep your stress levels lower. ;)
Thank you :) I’ve been washing my hands after handling milk etc but I hadn’t been sure if I was overdoing it.
My mother who is very into mask wearing isn’t fussed with the touch side of things and so it’s been stressful to me, not touching anything she’s touched, but she hasn’t caught COVID recently (she did have it suspected in early March 2020) so I’ve been confused why she’s fine.
I era on the side of caution/paranoia more.

Eriathwen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was very glad the 3 or so times ive been anywhere shopping, going to the vets etc since 'freedom day' to see that pretty much every single person has continued to wear their masks.

I have my first 'event' on Saturday since all this started, an organised 5km park run/race kind of thing..I'm a little apprehensive as I'm not yet double jabbed, but I did get a text today to let me know I can bring my second dose forward as soon as I can get an available booking, it was originally booked for 21st of August! I will be wearing my mask right up until the starting line though even with it being outside.

I dont see me giving up the mask until at least next spring. I'd be absolutely gutted if I got anyone sick, having had covid in Feb 2020 I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy and I had it pretty mildly compared to what it could have been.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you :) I’ve been washing my hands after handling milk etc but I hadn’t been sure if I was overdoing it.
My mother who is very into mask wearing isn’t fussed with the touch side of things and so it’s been stressful to me, not touching anything she’s touched, but she hasn’t caught COVID recently (she did have it suspected in early March 2020) so I’ve been confused why she’s fine.
I era on the side of caution/paranoia more.

You are at a VERY low risk of catching anything from anybody by touch; door handle examination in buildings with lots of traffic (like schools where handles have been touched by over 30 people in quick succession) has found a surprisingly low load of virus particles when this area was more closely researched during the winter months. It was one of the many government research studies on various areas affecting the decisions made or the advice given re. lockdown reopening and jab priorities etc. Research into transmission routes has been very much part of that.

The virus is overwhelmingly transmitted by breathing in the virus load - and it takes more than just one or a fragment to start the infection; hence why you get pinged only if you have been in close proximity to an infected person for 15 minutes. That is why the highest risk of transmission is in closed spaces in close proximity, bad ventilation and/or in areas with lots of loud speaking/singing/dancing in a large crowd where the virus particle cloud in the air can really build up etc.

You can order free flow tests via your pharmacy (twice weekly ones) if you are worried about yourself and/or your mother. Your mother is totally right in concentrating on the mask wearing. If enough people do it, it really helps to cut down massively on the infection transmission.
I hope that this does help to ease your mind?

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You are at a VERY low risk of catching anything from anybody by touch; door handle examination in buildings with lots of traffic (like schools where handles have been touched by over 30 people in quick succession) has found a surprisingly low load of virus particles when this area was more closely researched during the winter months. It was one of the many government research studies on various areas affecting the decisions made or the advice given re. lockdown reopening and jab priorities etc. Research into transmission routes has been very much part of that.

The virus is overwhelmingly transmitted by breathing in the virus load - and it takes more than just one or a fragment to start the infection; hence why you get pinged only if you have been in close proximity to an infected person for 15 minutes. That is why the highest risk of transmission is in closed spaces in close proximity, bad ventilation and/or in areas with lots of loud speaking/singing/dancing in a large crowd etc.

You can order free flow tests via your pharmacy (twice weekly ones) if you are worried about yourself and/or your mother. Your mother is totally right in concentrating on the mask wearing. If enough people do it, it really helps to cut down massively on the infection transmission.
I hope that this does help to ease your mind?
Thank you. It actually helps a lot. I really appreciate it

eileen

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
i wore my mask today whilst food shopping .most of the store assistants and public did not wear masks.i felt alittle angry ! the government has sent out very mixed messages.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
i wore my mask today whilst food shopping .most of the store assistants and public did not wear masks.i felt alittle angry ! the government has sent out very mixed messages.

I fully agree! That's why we are sticking to our Covid routine and avoid going into indoors situations or where there are any crowds as much as possible until this wave has run its due course. :(

What the government has not considered by letting it rampage freely through the population is how much it could impact on services and supplies lines, though, if there is a big spike but a shorter duration. :(

CrestedPiggies

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
I work in a shop and the majority of customers still wear masks. However with this weather, and it being a fully glass fronted high street shop which gets the sun all day, with no air con, I struggled to wear mine for long when I was in on Monday and Tuesday. It's like working in a greenhouse! So I removed mine if I was behind the perspex screens on the till.

I'll still continue to wear a mask when shopping or in crowded places for the foreseeable future. I got a text a few days ago telling me I could bring my second vaccination forward, but there's no availability at the vaccination centre 🙁 I'll keep checking though 🤞

Black piggies

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
I work in a shop and the majority of customers still wear masks. However with this weather, and it being a fully glass fronted high street shop which gets the sun all day, with no air con, I struggled to wear mine for long when I was in on Monday and Tuesday. It's like working in a greenhouse! So I removed mine if I was behind the perspex screens on the till.

I'll still continue to wear a mask when shopping or in crowded places for the foreseeable future. I got a text a few days ago telling me I could bring my second vaccination forward, but there's no availability at the vaccination centre 🙁 I'll keep checking though 🤞
Yes I took my first train journey a few days ago since covid and nearly died of the heat in my mask. I couldn't have worked all day like that. Hope you get your second vaccine soon!