• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Friends and their dog are visiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire W

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
My friend and her boyfriend are coming up at the weekend. Problem is, they have recently rescued a dog and we agreed they could bring the dog with them. Problem is, I am now worried about my own pets. We have 2 hamsters in wire cages and 2 gerbils in a glass tank, then of course, there's the 2 guinea pigs. The rodents will have to go upstairs in our bedroom but I don't know what to do about the pigs. The outhouse door is open all day to allow air etc and has 2 bolts on the hutch. I am however, concerned whats going to happen when the dog goes outside. Will he try and get in to the hutch etc? Apparently he is a small dog but I'm still worried. I don't want my pets to get scared or injured. OH says that the dog can stay downstairs at night but what if he sneaks upstairs to the hamsters and gerbils? When we go to sleep, the hamsters and gerbils will be going in to the bathroom. :-\ What are the chances of the dog trying to hurt my pigs as well

This is no going to be much help but it really depends on the dog.
Some dogs are just curious, have a quick sniff and then leave the pigs alone. Some dogs will take much more of an interest.

I would say not to leave any small animal unsupervised with a dog around and close the dog in to a room when its bedtime so that he/she cant get out and start looking around.

cant you put him on a chain in the back garden long enough for him to walk about but not long enough for him to get into your outhouse? just when he's out having a wee etc or just shut your outhouse whilst he does his buisness and has a sniff about..

and you can buy catches that simply flip over to stop a door being opened so maybe buy one of those and put it at the top of the door so the dog cant puch open the door.. they are easy to put on to a doorframe too :)

When you first let him outside, see what he does. He may not pay any attention. If he goes over there, have a water spray bottle handy and give him a spritz in the face and say NO! This should help him understand do not go there. Also, if he begins to follow instructions and stay away when you say NO, give him a treat to reward him for leaving them alone. I doubt you will have too many problems though. Our dogs like to sniff the cage, but are scared of the pigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back