Frightened baby, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
We have been planning on getting 2 guinea pigs for ages but on Saturday i was visiting a children's petting farm. I spoke to the lady who said she had a baby that she could just not home despite having a long waiting list as he was on his own. He was in a cage all on his own and i just fell in love with him. He is just 4 months old and very little.

I've brought him home and popped him in his hutch but he is terrified he has hardly moved although he has eaten some of the food I gave him most of the time he is just hiding in the hay. I have been taking him out to hold twice a day and wrapping him in a towel which he seems ok with for about 10 mins but then he makes noises like he is terrified so i have put him back in the hutch. Yesterday he did purr for a little bit when he was having a stroke. He is really hard to catch so i haven't tried putting him down on the floor yet as i'm afraid of hurting him when i have to pick him up again.

Any suggestions i feel awful for him, Thanks

Reaction score
Awww!

If I have a piggy on its own I wrap up a hot water bottle in a towel and give them a teddy for company :/

sharonS

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just give him time to come round, he hasn't had much human company by the sounds of things. Does he have a cage mate that will help him come round. Sounds as if you are doing the right thing by slowly getting him used to being handled.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Just give him time to settle. It is harder when a youngster is on his own.

It would be great if you would consider contacting any reputable rescue within your reach to find those who have suitable candidates and allow you to bring your new boy for some boar dating, so you can find a friend he really clicks with. If you can give us your area, we may be able to recommend a rescue or two. http://www.guineapigrehome.org.uk/gp/centres.asp

Here are tips for settling nervous guinea pigs. As he is alone, please give him the body and snuggle contact he needs and can't get otherwise at the moment. Be aware that a frosty night is coming up and he needs to be kept warm an snuggly.
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36239

Rilenceny

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The others have pretty much covered everything, but make sure your plushie doesn't have beans in it.

I'd try to keep him as comfortable as possible - With lots of comfortable fleeces, towels etc as well as it is sure frightening for a pig to be alone in a new environment all of the sudden.

It seems you've done a good job so far and it's definitely a good sign that he's eating.

Reaction score
Thank you, my friend fosters guinea pigs, she is away at the moment so will chat to her next week and will get him some company, just feel sad for him in the meantime, Thanks for all the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.