• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fun Trip For The Piggy’s!

alainahemmings

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey guys my friend and I got guinea pigs about two weeks ago. We love letting them have little play dates. Any ideas where to take them. I was thinking our local state park. (They will be fenced in of course)

Hey guys my friend and I got guinea pigs about two weeks ago. We love letting them have little play dates. Any ideas where to take them. I was thinking our local state park. (They will be fenced in of course)

Hi and welcome

Please be aware that guinea pigs don't do play dates with other guinea pigs - for them it is always a full-on bonding session, which you then interrupt before they can get anywhere. It is for them a very upsetting and frustrating and not a joyful experience; especially for single guinea pigs that have then to go back into what is for them basically an isolation cell.

Putting sows and boars together is a BIG NO NO! You can't catch a boar quickly enough as it takes only seconds to impregnate a sow. The fatality rate in birth for both mother and babies is very high because the babies are a multiple the size of human babies compared to their mother's size. :(

Guinea pigs need to have a steady, bonded 24-7 same sex companion to form a group with. They are group animals and not wired to live on their own. They identify by being part of a bonded group and they don't just mix with other unbonded piggies for a bit of fun.
Instead of play dating, please make sure that your guinea pigs are not singles but have a same sex companion for the 5-7 years of a healthy life span and especially for the time when your life and interests change and you are not around all the time to play with them. Their need for round the clock companionship doesn't chance just because it has long stopped being fun for you. :(
Sadly after 15 years, Switzerland is still the only country where it is against the law to keep and sell any group species as singles.
Companionship
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

Guinea pigs are territorial prey animals, so fun trips are have at lot less excitement than they do for you. Piggies, especially new ones that have not yet settled and become attached to a territory can be easily freaked out, especially in wide open spaces that scream danger for them in the company of loud predators that trigger their prey animal instincts - which is how they regard humans until you can gradually win their trust. When they have a chance to run away, they can get totally lost and become prey to predators, parasites, malnutrition and illness as you may not find them. We regularly get posts of upset new owners this has happened to.
Please be aware that dog and fox pee is poisonous for guinea pigs, and that fresh pee can kill; and yes we have had that happening to people on the forum; a park where it is allowed to free roam dogs is no place for guinea pigs. :(

If you do not have access to an enclosed, safe garden and a dog-free safe lawn, it would be better to invest into an indoors puppy run that doesn't soil any carpet and to turn that into a safe adventure ground for your pair. You can grow grass and herbs in trays on the window sill; if you start them at different times, you can create a succession of them and give the eaten down ones time to regrow. ;)

Guinea pigs are not cheap pocket-sized puppies. They are a very different species with very different needs and instincts.
Please read up on their needs and concentrate on giving yours a good guinea pig life and not a sad short-lived human plaything existence that palls very quickly because your piggies are not doing what you consider 'fun'. :(
Guinea Pig Facts - An Overview

Here is the link to our full new owners information collection: Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Hi and welcome

Please be aware that guinea pigs don't do play dates with other guinea pigs - for them it is always a full-on bonding session, which you then interrupt before they can get anywhere. It is for them a very upsetting and frustrating and not a joyful experience; especially for single guinea pigs that have then to go back into what is for them basically an isolation cell.

Putting sows and boars together is a BIG NO NO! You can't catch a boar quickly enough as it takes only seconds to impregnate a sow. The fatality rate in birth for both mother and babies is very high because the babies are a multiple the size of human babies compared to their mother's size. :(

Guinea pigs need to have a steady, bonded 24-7 same sex companion which to form a group with. They are group animals and not wired to live on their own, but they identify by being part of a bonded group and they don't just mix with other unbonded piggies for a bit of fun.
Instead of play dating, please make sure that your guinea pigs are not singles but have a same sex companion for the 5-7 years of a healthy life span and especially for the time when your life and interests chance and you are not around all the time to play with them. Their need for round the clock companionship doesn't chance just because it has long stopped being fun for you. :(
Sadly after 15 years, Switzerland is still the only country where it is against the law to keep and sell any group species as singles.
Companionship
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

Guinea pigs are territorial prey animals, so fun trips are have at lot less excitement than they do for you and they can be easily freaked out, especially in wide open spaces that scream danger for them in the company of loud predators that trigger their prey animal instincts (as they regard humans until you can gradually win their trust. When they have a chance to run away, they can get totally lost and become prey to predators as you may not find them. We regularly get posts of upset new owners this has happened to.
Please be aware that dog and fox pee is poisonous for guinea pigs, and that fresh pee can kill; and yes we have had that happening to people on the forum :(
If you do not have access to an enclosed, safe garden and a dog-free safe lawn, it would be better to invest into an indoors puppy run that doesn't soil any carpet and to turn that into a safe adventure ground for them. You can grow grass and herbs in trays on the window sill; if you start them at different times, you can create a succession of them and give the eaten down ones time to regrow. ;)

Guinea pigs are not pocket-sized puppies on the cheap. They are a very different species with very different needs.
Please read up on their needs and concentrate on giving yours a good guinea pig life and not a sad short-lived human plaything existence that palls very quickly because your piggies are not doing what you consider 'fun'. :(
Guinea Pig Facts - An Overview

Here is the link to our full new owners information collection: Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides
Sorry I should have been a bit more specific. They are both boars yes I know they can fight over dominance though they have been together since birth and have never shown a sign of aggression. I like to let them go to the park for a little change of scenery. Thank you for the input I will make sure to read over and do what is best for the piggies. I’m quite new to this again thank you!

Welcome to the forum.
Hope you find all the information and advice helpful.
Guinea pigs don’t really need a change of scenery as long as they have plenty of stimulation.
Mine get excited about a hay bag every day almost.

I would be concerned about taking them to a park as they are prey animals and it could be a terrifying experience, not to mention that other animals could cause illness if the piggies eat grass contaminated by dog or cat wee.
You sound as if you want to do the best for your boys so read our information threads, ask questions and enjoy the forum
Please can we see pictures.

Welcome to the forum.
Hope you find all the information and advice helpful.
Guinea pigs don’t really need a change of scenery as long as they have plenty of stimulation.
Mine get excited about a hay bag every day almost.

I would be concerned about taking them to a park as they are prey animals and it could be a terrifying experience, not to mention that other animals could cause illness if the piggies eat grass contaminated by dog or cat wee.
You sound as if you want to do the best for your boys so read our information threads, ask questions and enjoy the forum
Please can we see pictures.
Thank you you answered so politely! I don’t think it would be the best idea to go to the park now you’ve been so helpful!

Welcome to the Forum and well done for taking on board the advice you have been offered.
Whilst piggies don't do play dates or outings, there are lots of otehr fun things you can do with them which will be interesting for you to watch and safe and stimulating for your piggies.
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

Welcome to the Forum and well done for taking on board the advice you have been offered.
Whilst piggies don't do play dates or outings, there are lots of otehr fun things you can do with them which will be interesting for you to watch and safe and stimulating for your piggies.
Thank you so much!:D

Sorry I should have been a bit more specific. They are both boars yes I know they can fight over dominance though they have been together since birth and have never shown a sign of aggression. I like to let them go to the park for a little change of scenery. Thank you for the input I will make sure to read over and do what is best for the piggies. I’m quite new to this again thank you!

Thank you for adding more background information. Just please make sure that your boys are firmly settled at home and that were you take them is safe for them. Guinea pigs enjoy a lawn trip if they feel safe, but it can take a whole summer for them to get used to the wide open outdoors. Always cover the cage top to give them a feeling of safety.
A change of territory can upset even an adult boar bond.

Here is our enrichment guide. Please note that all the free roaming pictures are from my fully enclosed garden after I'd gone over every inch to make sure that they could not squeeze under any fence panel. My piggies were also never unsupervised and they had learned to return to me for a treat reliably before I let them loose. My garden was also not as established as it is now where it is no longer possible to free roam, especially as we now have a hunting neighbourhood cat.

After re-reading this I would like to say THANK YOU. I had no clue the pee of an animal could kill a guinea pig. Again thank you I had no clue I was putting my guinea pig in a harmful situation.:)

Thank you for adding more background information. Just please make sure that your boys are firmly settled at home and that were you take them is safe for them. Guinea pigs enjoy a lawn trip if they feel safe, but it can take a whole summer for them to get used to the wide open outdoors. Always cover the cage top to give them a feeling of safety.

Here is our enrichment guide. Please note that all the free roaming pictures are from my fully enclosed garden after I'd gone over every inch to make sure that they could not squeeze under any fence panel. My piggies were also never unsupervised and they had learned to return to me for a treat reliably before I let them loose. My garden was also not as established as it is now where it is no longer possible to free roam, especially as we now have a hunting neighbourhood cat.
After re-reading your original response I would like to say THANK YOU. I had no clue the pee of an animal could kill a guinea pig. Again thank you I had no clue I was putting my guinea pig in a harmful situation.:)

After re-reading your original response I would like to say THANK YOU. I had no clue the pee of an animal could kill a guinea pig. Again thank you I had no clue I was putting my guinea pig in a harmful situation.:)

Thank you for reading carefully and not be offended by our apparent criticism.

The great thing about this forum is that we all want the very best for our piggies and learn a lot about great care from each other.
My piggies have certainly benefitted from what I have learnt here.
You sound like a very caring and responsible owner - your piggies are lucky boys

Back