• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Funny toe - swollen and hard, doesn't seem painful or red

AmyClap

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

On giving my pig Crabbie (Crabapple) a groom this week, I've noticed a very fat middle toe. It's the same colour as the others, but weirdly round.

It feels really hard to the touch, and he doesn't complain at all when I try to squeeze / manipulate it to see what it feels like.

He's eating plenty and is very happy (ish) in himself - though for context he coincidentally lost his cage mate yesterday due to not being bonded - I'm awaiting speed dates through a local rescue.

Could it be an abscess? Has anyone dealt with anything similar? I've not taken him to a vet yet but will asap if needed. Photo linked (hope it works!).
New photo by Amy Clapinson

Thanks so much in advance x

Could you please add a photo directly to the post by clicking ‘attach files’ below the text box, rather than adding it via a third party link.

Could you please add a photo directly to the post by clicking ‘attach files’ below the text box, rather than adding it via a third party link.
So sorry Piggies&buns - I don't have a "attach files" prompt. The only choices are above the WYSIWYG text box, and the picture icon requests a url...

I solemnly swear that has just appeared now. Omg. :oops:

Attachments

• PXL_20210327_145657334.jpg
    PXL_20210327_145657334.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20210327_145628421.jpg
    PXL_20210327_145628421.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 8
I solemnly swear that has just appeared now. Omg. :oops:

Easily done when all the other buttons are above where you type :))

My Poppy has a toe like this. All the vet could say was she must have caught it at some point. Definitely have it checked to make sure there's no damage that needs treatment or infection but it could be that the toe stays like this now (Poppy's never went back down and it's been over a year now)

Easily done when all the other buttons are above where you type :))

My Poppy has a toe like this. All the vet could say was she must have caught it at some point. Definitely have it checked to make sure there's no damage that needs treatment or infection but it could be that the toe stays like this now (Poppy's never went back down and it's been over a year now)
How odd! Thank you, that's reassuring. But yes I've just registered with a local vet and will get him checked asap.

Back