• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Funny turns 😞

Claire W

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
I have been getting ‘funny turns’ for well over a year now and they are really getting me down :( My eyesight goes funny, I get blurred vision, can’t talk properly, feel like I’m going to fall over and the only thing that gets rid of it is getting in to bed. The only thing I can describe it is it’s like having a stroke.

This is all well and good but I can’t get in to bed if one comes on whilst I am out which is my biggest fear :( I’ve also had my driving license revoked as I’ve had several black outs although me driving again is coming up for review but I’m terrified of having one of these ‘funny turns’ whilst driving as I would likely crash.

I have seen a neurologist who has put it down to psychological and anxiety after an MRI scan and ECG came back clear although my doctor referred me to a cardiologist who fitted me with a heart monitor for seven days. I'm still waiting for the results from that although I don’t think it’ll show anything to be honest :(

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this or have any advise? I am at the end of my tether and feel like it’s never going to get resolved as my doctor doesn’t seem too concerned

The first paragraph sounds like you are having silent migraines. They have been known to be like mini strokes. But I'm not sure and your doctor probably would have said about it. Hope you get it sorted, sounds terrible

Sorry. Hope the doctors can help you get to the bottom of it soon.

I used to get this years ago. I was very unhappy in my job, I was in my early twenties and going through the usual boyfriend issues and was just very stressed. I remember one day literally sitting at my desk not knowing who I was, where I was and who the person was sitting next to me Was. This happened many times followed by a bad headache, dizziness etc. sometimes half my face would go numb, literally just one side, even my mouth. Then my vision would go and couldn’t see properly.

in those days (I’m old!) we just got told it was nothing to worry about and just to carry on and as I grew up and life got better it just disappeared. My mum and aunt were big migraine sufferers too so it was assumed it was the same.

Sometimes very rarely I get similar and indeed blacked out in a very posh restaurant in London 2 years ago..mortifying! I had all the checks (inc ecg) and nothing found, just I was very stressed at work not eating properly and not sleeping. It just seems to be my body’s reaction and I adjusted my lifestyle accordingly.

its tough and I really hope it’s aS simple for you. Sometimes your body just has coping mechanisms and finding the trigger is key. I really hope you feel much better soon and find a road to recovery. It’s not pleasant is it?

Massive hugs Claire, our bloody brains as we say! :mal: I’ve at least had a (bit of a) diagnosis with my seizures, although they’ve changed a lot over the years, really hope you can find out what’s going on soon:hug:xx

I used to get this years ago. I was very unhappy in my job, I was in my early twenties and going through the usual boyfriend issues and was just very stressed. I remember one day literally sitting at my desk not knowing who I was, where I was and who the person was sitting next to me Was. This happened many times followed by a bad headache, dizziness etc. sometimes half my face would go numb, literally just one side, even my mouth. Then my vision would go and couldn’t see properly.

in those days (I’m old!) we just got told it was nothing to worry about and just to carry on and as I grew up and life got better it just disappeared. My mum and aunt were big migraine sufferers too so it was assumed it was the same.

Sometimes very rarely I get similar and indeed blacked out in a very posh restaurant in London 2 years ago..mortifying! I had all the checks (inc ecg) and nothing found, just I was very stressed at work not eating properly and not sleeping. It just seems to be my body’s reaction and I adjusted my lifestyle accordingly.

its tough and I really hope it’s aS simple for you. Sometimes your body just has coping mechanisms and finding the trigger is key. I really hope you feel much better soon and find a road to recovery. It’s not pleasant is it?
Sorry to hear that you had similar @Guinea Slave x

Thank you for this. I’m glad I’m not alone. I’ve been told that stress can bring it on and I am a very stressy and anxious person. My funny turns can last several hours :(

I’m glad that yours disappeared, hopefully mine will to as no, it isn’t pleasant and can be embarrassing when it company :( x

Massive hugs Claire, our bloody brains as we say! :mal: I’ve at least had a (bit of a) diagnosis with my seizures, although they’ve changed a lot over the years, really hope you can find out what’s going on soon:hug:xx

Thank you. Our bloody brains have a lot to answer for! x

I have, and they never really got to the bottom of it either. I also get migraines, and honestly I've been known to do a lot of the same things with a migraine. Can't speak in straight sentences, words jumbled all over the place, can't see straight (disco lights in my vision in my case), can't stand up straight, can't look at things...

They're not fun and I'm sorry you're having to deal with it still :no: also, while "psychological" may be valid, it doesn't make it any less real or disturbing, which a lot of doctors seem to be in the habit of forgetting. It's like they think you do this stuff for fun. Who'd deal with that for fun?!

I have, and they never really got to the bottom of it either. I also get migraines, and honestly I've been known to do a lot of the same things with a migraine. Can't speak in straight sentences, words jumbled all over the place, can't see straight (disco lights in my vision in my case), can't stand up straight, can't look at things...
Sounds a lot like my partial seizures, the complex partials I really don’t remember but always begin with a partial that tends to come back to you a few hours later. Or you just ‘come round’ with a soaked pair of trousers where you’ve tipped a cuppa on yourself when attempting to drink it! :doh:The fits, not a clue apart from bruises and wounds! :hmm:

I have to joke about it these days, gone on so many years! :doh:But when you can’t control this stuff it’s such a bugger.

Sounds a lot like my partial seizures, the complex partials I really don’t remember but always begin with a partial that tends to come back to you a few hours later. Or you just ‘come round’ with a soaked pair of trousers where you’ve tipped a cuppa on yourself when attempting to drink it! :doh:The fits, not a clue apart from bruises and wounds! :hmm:

I have to joke about it these days, gone on so many years! :doh:But when you can’t control this stuff it’s such a bugger.

Yeah I've had the "auras"...except by the time one hits I don't recognise it, and it's only afterwards I get to go "...okay, I should've seen that coming." An aura for me is different to this though...the aura makes me walk like a drunk, like I've no spatial awareness, falling into chairs and walls and doors etc. And apparently I get "a look" in my eyes. Wish I was able to tell them sooner, it'd save me a lot of trouble with the hassle I manage to cause during one :td:

Incidentally, for that reason, a hypnic jerk will always trigger mild panic in me that an aura's coming. It's not fun. I'd rather have the migraines.

(edit: apologies @Claire W , I didn't mean to hijack your thread)

Thank you for this. I’m glad I’m not alone. I’ve been told that stress can bring it on and I am a very stressy and anxious person. My funny turns can last several hours :(

I’m glad that yours disappeared, hopefully mine will to as no, it isn’t pleasant and can be embarrassing when it company :( x

I am in my fifties now and hope I never get them again. I really feel for you. Horrible things and they still don’t really know much about them. Just try and think about the triggers, my mum is an anxious person, she worries about everyone and everything lol. I just worry about everything and my animals lol! but got better at managing them.

I sometimes get migraines and they sound a lot like the original post, except I get the pain aswell, I had one once where it came on when I was out shopping, I couldn't even drive home, I went straight to bed, and slept until it had passed. Even then they give you a migraine hangover for about 2 days. Just glad I don't get cluster headaches, they are supposed to be the worst of the lot and can last for weeks non stop

Thank you everyone. Sorry that you suffer too @Lorcan its horrible and sorry about your migraines @SkyPipDotBernie and for your seizures @alpacasqueak I think that anxiety and stress is definitely a trigger for me x
Mine trigger if I'm very worried about something all day. Havnt had one in ages. I found that ibrupofen lysine from the shelf in wilko or tesco, or wherever else sell them, stop them before they go full blown migraines. They are the same tablets as feminax, but without the rip off branding. They are 342mg, whereas the normal ibuprofen are only 200mg. That's if it is a migraine you are getting. Probably isn't, not sure. So yea I take womens period pain tablets for headaches, and it works a treat.. I also used mouthwash for a toe nail infection and it cleared up in a few days lol.

Just need to mention though, that not sure how wise it is to take uburpofen with covid 19 about

Back