• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fur changing colour

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

piggyfan

Peronel has patches of brown fur now on her back. At first I thought it may be dirt but I have given her a bath and they have not changed back. It is odd as it is like the colour of her fur is getting darker. Is this anything to be concerned about?

Peronel has patches of brown fur now on her back. At first I thought it may be dirt but I have given her a bath and they have not changed back. It is odd as it is like the colour of her fur is getting darker. Is this anything to be concerned about?

What colour is she normally?

Pigment changes can cause fur/skin to change colour in animals as it does with humans. It can be caused by age, in some breeds by temperature (like himalayan animals) and in some cases, nutritional deficiency.

She is usually a gorgeous ginger. She is reaching four now so I wonder if it is that. I weighed her today and she is 1032g which is healthy for her. I give her a vitamin C tablet each day as well as vegetables twice a day and often a piece of fruit so I cannot see the reason is nutritional.

Here she is with Marble.
056-1.jpg

She is usually a gorgeous ginger. She is reaching four now so I wonder if it is that. I weighed her today and she is 1032g which is healthy for her. I give her a vitamin C tablet each day as well as vegetables twice a day and often a piece of fruit so I cannot see the reason is nutritional.

Does she eat dry food? As long as it's a good brand, it's unlikely to be nutritional with her fresh veg and stuff.

It's probably just one of those things. Obviously keep an eye for any changes in her skin that don't look normal.

She has burgess excell and loves it. She eats the most! Maybe I should take her to the vet then.

Some piggies just change their coliur when they get older; some get darker hair.

I have had two who went from ginger to dun, and there were certainly no nutritional issues while in my care!
Taffy aged 1 - Taffy aged 3

Last edited:
Oh that is just what is happening with Peronel! I am sure there is no nutritional reason either. Do you think I should not make her a vet appointment tomorrow then Wiebke?

No, I don't think that it is something a vet can do anything about. There is even a scientific name for it, but I can't remember it right now. It is actually not all that rare.

Oh thank you so much for putting my mind at rest. You wonderful guinea pig lady. :)

Aw thank you so much. She is such a special girl. Her and Amelia Jane were my first ever piggies. :)

She has burgess excell and loves it. She eats the most! Maybe I should take her to the vet then.

I don't think there's any need to see the vet unless you notice a problem with her skin where the fur is changing colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back