• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Fussy buggers

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul1979uk

Junior Guinea Pig
Afternoon all. Two boars are really fussy eaters, they've gone from eating cucumber, parsley, corn, carrots, hay and dry pellets to eating only dry pellets, parsley, hay and only cucumber if it's all they're given and after an hour or of sulking. They refuse point blank to eat anything else and absolutely will not eat any fruit at all.

Is this okay? Is their diet varied enough. Is there a way of getting them to eat more things?

Ta!

Romily

Adult Guinea Pig
If they are reluctant to eat fresh stuff then it is up tp you if you want to keep trying them with different things. As long as they have pellets and unlimited hay they should be fine.

MrsWilsoncroft

Adult Guinea Pig
How long have they not been wanting the food for?
Its odd how suddenly they dont want to eat it but I wouldnt give up with them just keep trying them with other stuff.
It took me a few weeks to get to know what my boar enjoyed and didnt like. He loves tomatoes, plums, parsley, carrots, apple, cucumber, hay & his pellets.

x

mojules

our four have become very fussy - gave them brussel sprouts the other morning and you would think we had put soemthing horrible in the ri dishes they way two of them looked at me :))

we just keep trying difeferent veg and fruit until we find sumin they like

paul1979uk

Junior Guinea Pig
Well they absolutely refuse any fruit, thats the first thing.

Veg, they LOVE parsley. One of them has stopped eating the stalks though and only eats the leaves. Cucumber they only eat if you don't give them anything else and after they've gotten over the initial shock horror of being given cucumber. They seem to be getting more fussy.

As long as they're okay then it's fine, but it would be nice if they had a more varied diet. The little bleeders.

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Ours get bored of the same thing day in day out so variety is the best way forward... Recently we switched Cucumber to watermelon for a few days to give them a rest and when the cucumber came back they loved it...

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Also I found our 2 have recently got fussy and will only eat Waitrose or Sainsbury's parsley they turned their nose up at ASDA'S :) although I think it may have been a little past it's best rather than them being snobbish...

Waitrose are also currently selling small bags for 50p by us so everyone's happy!

MrsWilsoncroft

Adult Guinea Pig
my Reggie loves whole carrots, he seems to look like he enjoys it more when you hold it for him and let him gnaw away at it :)

He is currently eating a small bowl of Burgess blackcurrant pellets too which he really likes. He was popcorning just before I gave them to him lol x

sharonS

Adult Guinea Pig
my Reggie loves whole carrots, he seems to look like he enjoys it more when you hold it for him and let him gnaw away at it :)

He is currently eating a small bowl of Burgess blackcurrant pellets too which he really likes. He was popcorning just before I gave them to him lol x
Where did you buy your Burgess blackcurrant pellets from?

paul1979uk

Junior Guinea Pig
Ours get bored of the same thing day in day out so variety is the best way forward... Recently we switched Cucumber to watermelon for a few days to give them a rest and when the cucumber came back they loved it...
We tried watermelon and if looks could kill.......

paul1979uk

Junior Guinea Pig

What are these then?

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Mine go through phases like this. I think they get bored of the selection so I try to make sure I vary it. Have you tried them with cabbages, kale, spinach...mine adore all these.
They are very fussy though. I try to treat them with different fruits or veg but they just turn there noses up. I tried them with beetroot yesterday as everyone was saying theres loved them and I had one spare, but they didn't even touch it rolleyes.

paul1979uk

Junior Guinea Pig
Mine go through phases like this. I think they get bored of the selection so I try to make sure I vary it. Have you tried them with cabbages, kale, spinach...mine adore all these.
They are very fussy though. I try to treat them with different fruits or veg but they just turn there noses up. I tried them with beetroot yesterday as everyone was saying theres loved them and I had one spare, but they didn't even touch it rolleyes.
They've eaten cabbage before but reluctantly. Yesterday I tried them with a tiny bit of celery (finely chopped and with stringy bits removed) and the celery leaves (they LOVED the leaves). That's a once a week thing though.

Girlfriend tried them with beetroot before and Charlie's white face wasn't quite so white afterward. They didn't want it again though despite enjoying it the first time, little swines.

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
Don't over do it with the parsley, it is very high in calcium. Small amounts ok, but perhaps not every day.
Oh dear, that is my boys favourite veg and we give them it nightly after they have been out for their wee cuddle. I'm sure the other veg they are get are low in calcium? Carrot, tomato, cucumber and sometimes pepper and baby corn.

Hope that's ok.

paul1979uk

Junior Guinea Pig
Leaves. Is everybody else pigs obsessed with the leaves of veg? Charlie and Benny scoff celery leaves, the leaves you get on those organic carrots, parsley leaves, dandilion leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.