• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

G.A in piggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midge&Panda

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I recently posted - about 3 weeks ago that Maisie had an emergency stomach operation. It took her awhile to recover and she had to stay in overnight. Since then she has had 3 check-ups and each time the vet has been pleased with her progress. Last week she had a haematoma removed from her scar area and was given baytril and metacam. the baytril has finished and I did stop the metacam. The problem is Maisie seems rather subdued. She is still eating drinking and always eager for food- she just doesnt seem to have much energy.She eats then lays down, I've never noticed her being so inactive before. She doesn't hide in the corner like she did when she was first poorly. She is just 12 mths. I have put her back on the metacam just in case she still has some discomfort. Does it usually take this long for a piggy to recover from a G.A or has anybody got any other advice.?/

A GA should be out a Guinea Pigs system in 12 - 24 hrs, when was the actual GA? I suppose it is possible for them to have a bad reaction.

Is she losing weight? I'd be inclined to contact the vet incase there is something else going on with her.

She had the op on the 13 mar, she has lost weight 80 g in 6 wks but has remained constant this last week. I have some baytril leftover so shes had a dose tonight and will continue tomorrow and monitor her and if necessary take her back. It might be that she's always been a lazy little so & so but because shes been so ill I've been taking more notice.

In our expierence when both of our older pigs have had GA they were back to normal within 2 days.
Could it be the baytril thats subduing her? One of ours didnt get on with it and it is known to be harsh on their guts. A probiotic could help if this is the case.
I agree with flintstones go back to the vet if worried.

Two of my pigs had GA for surgery (one had it twice in one week) and both shook it off just fine... by the evening following surgery, you would not have known they were put out. I'm wondering if it's the Baytril... it's sometimes hard on their gut and maybe she does not feel well because of that. It's also possible that she is basically just recovering from surgery... it takes people some time to get back to normal, and piggies are lots smaller than we are.
Hope she is back to normal soon!

Her weight is remaining constant, she has been having pro-c probiotic since her op, she also had 2 tubes of fibre-plex. Shes never had the baytril before I might stop it and give her a couple of days without it. Of course if she goes dramatically downhill then straight to the vets.

antibiotics normally knock the digestive system about a bit - what probiotic are you using?

If she's not eating much, it may be worth looking at getting one of the oxbow crit care sachets - its basically like powdered grass that you mix with water, and can syringe feed it - always perks mine up again after a dose of antibiotics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back