• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

George has a bladder stone. Need a vet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
George has a bladder stone. He had an x-ray last week and they noticed it was stuck in his urethra so he went in the next day to see if they could get it out with a catheter or something. They couldn’t, but they managed to push it back into his bladder. The vet did initially say he was going to operate and remove it if he couldn’t move it, but he said he had never done this before and was not comfortable with the mortality rates to try it. He also wanted to try dissolving the stone with Vit –c (only works if phosphate, which from reviewing his diet we don’t think it is). Basically he still has the stone, its no longer stuck, he seems fine in himself hungry drinking etc, but is in pain when pooing and weeing. He obviously still needs an operation but we don’t know of any vets in the area who have done it before or who are confident to do it. We live in the Preston area. I had a look through the sticky of the list of vets, but didn’t find anything. Do anyone know a vet to recommend? He seems fine but then has phases of pain, I feel so sorry for him because there is nothing we can do atm.

Any vets to recommend in the Preston area for the bladder stone op?

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
oh no, really sorry about this. Morecambe and Lancaster are probably too far for you, but if not, Bay Vet group did my Pepper, most of the vets seem to be cavy savvy.

Hope you get sorted xx

Reaction score
Thankyou. We are willing to travel if it increases his chances so thank your for the recommendation.

Any more?

Reaction score
That is a little far to be honest, but thankyou.

He has started to be in agony again so we have booked him in with Bay Vet group for the op tomorrow but they have advised it will be £200 for the op and £25 for the consultation. That seems alot to me and it is also quite a distance to travel (30miles). Is there no one else who knows of any cavy savy vets in lancashire?

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
That is a little far to be honest, but thankyou.

He has started to be in agony again so we have booked him in with Bay Vet group for the op tomorrow but they have advised it will be £200 for the op and £25 for the consultation. That seems alot to me and it is also quite a distance to travel (30miles). Is there no one else who knows of any cavy savy vets in lancashire?

I speak as someone who has had piggies with long term kidney stones, urethral stones, and bladder stones.................

First things first - you say "he is in agony".Do you have any metacam or other pain relief (childrens neurofen or calpol) to give him TONIGHT..(0.2ml) ..a piggie can reach a threshold of pain after which they give up. Is he eating - if not try and feed critical care (Supreme Recovery) or mushed pellets or anything green he is willing to eat. He needs to keep up his strength and he needs to keep his guts moving. Weigh him daily to monitor for any weight loss.

As to the vets tomorrow: Hmm £200. Well that's an OK price for us "darn sarf" (and we have to travel a min of 30miles for a cavy savvy vet) but a tad high for "oop north" Removing a bladder stone from a male piggie is not an easy operation and you really do, as you have already identified, need a cavy savvy vet. So if this vet is cavy savvy you would be best to go ahead with the op toorrow in view of his condition...as you can;t afford to even waste a day.

The op covers the vets time, vet nurses time and the cost of the anaesthetic....if they quote a higher price it sounds like they are opting to use the best (unfortunately expensive) anaesthetic for piggie.....

Unfortunately, George's current conidtion has now pushed you into emergency mode......you do not have the time to select the best alternative....you now have to act immediately to alleviate his pain and sort out the problem....

Good luck tomorrow - he can make a full recovery from this and we here "darn sarf" have our fingers and paws crossed for him

x

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i think its an ok price too, and if George is in pain, i would say go ahead definately. I'm sure i paid about £290 for my boys op, but i could be wrong as i was a wee bit traumatised :(

Anyway, hope George is ok, good luck for tomos xx

clairelove

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
just to add he will need to go onto cystease medication half a capsule dissolved into 1ml water every day for life, this helps to stop stones from forming again, also a change in diet is a must ie not to much cabbage, Kayle, spinach... offer things like peppers instead which are high in vit c but low in calcium.

just a pointer there is a high chance of the stones coming back with in 2-3 wks post op and after, so anytime he gets with out the stones returning is a bonus.

I lost my boar after 3mths :( but he had 3 wonderful mths pain free,

also prepare for the fact you may need to syringe feed him after surgery as some guinea pigs can react bad to the op and GA so get some recovery feeds or CC from the vets tomoz ...also you will need to keep him warm after the op so either a wrapped water bottle or heat pad if you have one, for a 1-2 days until he can hold his own temp and is more so normal self x

just to add i paid £167 for the op x

Last edited:

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
how's little George?
sending him some gentle hugs and lots of wheeeeky loves from the girls xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Reaction score
I'm sad to say that George is no longer with us.

When we got to the vets we discussed the options and due to his condition, which has deteriorated drastically, we were advised that it would be best for him to be put to sleep. I feel bad, but am also glad that he had lots of cuddles in the days leading up to it. I must thank the earlier poster for the recommendation for Bay Veterinary group though. From talking with the vet they seemed very cavy aware and were very nice to deal with. We even received a sympathy card from them this morning. George is with Sharkey now (his brother) so we are happy knowing that they are together. We are a little worried about Alfie (the one we got to keep George company after Sharkey passed), as he seemed so lost at first, but we are giving him lots of attention and he has seemed to have perked up a bit. I'm sad he has gone, but am also relieved for him that he is no longer in agony.

Thanks for all your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.