Gerbil - Lonley Gerbil After Gerbil Death

non250702

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So we had a pair of female gerbils up until recently when one passed away. The other is now lonely and We are wondering if she will be okay. We have another pair of gerbils who are her sisters which we separated from the other pair about a year or two ago because they started fighting. So we were wondering, would it be possible to reintroduce them, or maybe put the two cages next to each other so the single gerbil has company? I’ve heard that this might cause the pair to start fighting, however. What do you suggest if neither of these options are viable?

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't go for either options as gerbils are notoriously hard to bond as adults, especially females. I think your best option would be to get a baby female and used a split cage method to introduce and bond them.

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
:agr: Unfortunately gerbils after about 7 weeks are bound to one family and don't take to outsiders very well. It is possible to bond them but I've personally witnessed injuries with a bond gone wrong.

I don't know if there are any small animal rescues that could help in such a thing? Hope your little one is doing okay! If it's any consolation my friends little gerbil lost his brother, failed to bond, healed a broken hip and he's doing well on his own with plenty of love and attention :)