• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Getting another guinea pig ok ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trufflepig

I was just wondering i have one Guinea Pig, if i decided to get another one in a few months is that ok, or do you have to get them together from the shop/rescue in the first place?
x

Well mine was over a year old before I introduced another piggy. With girls it should be fine to get another one once your first is settled (and probably better for everyone) but with boars I suggest getting them near the same time as often they tend to fall out.

yeah i don't want to get one right away maybe in a few months, i want to learn more about them and give my time to her ladyship first :) I just wondered for future reference :)

Hi Trufflepig, they will need to be introduced but if you go to a rescue you should be able to take your pig along so they can meet the other pigs & see which one they get along with. It's a good idea to have two piggies as most people on here & who know about them will tell you. They will then have company when you are out which is good :)

I think it's sensible to wait. Give her some time to get used to you and you to her. But yeah for future reference they should be fine. I mean there's always going to be exceptions to the rule like if your current piggy hates other piggies (Mine was scared of adult pigs. she'd scream and run, so we had to get a baby pig) But once you know your pig, you'll know what sort of companion would be best for her. Just as you'll find out what foods she likes, if she likes treats soft or crunchy (we had these guinae pig cakes and Acorah would not touch them till they were slightly stale...then she'd demolish them) and what brand of hay she likes best and so on.

hi it is so nice to hear you are thinking of getting her a little friend she will appreciate it soooo much!

If you get her a little girly friend they should be ok together I have just introduced 2 girls to my lot and they are getting on fine the first couple of days they were sorting out who was boss but now they love eachother ;)

It will be ok to get one in a few months. I atually bought jessie alone bcause she was alone in the shop but had mights so i had to wait a few moths till she got the all clear from the vets before i got petal as a riend. I put them in the run outside together and they got on straight awy but i think petal adopted her as her mother ;D

Hi Trufflepig

It will be ok for you to add another piggy to the one you have at the moment, you just need to introduce them in the right way. Like Sian said, if you go to a rescue they should help you introduce the pigs. I'm so glad you are coming round to the idea of getting a friend for your little girl. They are addictive animals! You will definitely want another one soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back