• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Getting pain meds online ?

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Generally will vets allow this?

Brownie needs to stay on Loxicom for dogs for the next month so I will need more.. It is so much cheaper online than the vets but most websites i have visited say you need a prescription.. Just wondering if vets get funny about a request like this... Does anyone have any experience? I know it probably varies from vet to vet...

I have never had a problem getting a prescription for Metacam for dogs from the vet I think it's quite a common thing to ask for a prescription. Prescription charges vary at my old Vets4Pets a prescription cost £15. At my new Vets4Pets a prescription costs £10. The vets may wish to see Brownie again for a health check to make sure that they are happy to give a prescription. Just a quick word of advice if you do get a prescription. Make sure the Cascade wording is correct. As it isn't licensed for Guinea Pigs that has to be correct or else Vets UK or Animed or any online pharmacy aren't allowed to give it to you. I know this because it was missed out on my last prescription and it was a load of hassle getting it put right.

I asked my vet about it when Bracken was on pain meds long term. They charge £20 for the prescription so in the end there wasn't much saving on the price. Every vet will have a different price so it's worth asking yours how much they would charge you. The other thing I noticed was the size of bottle was different from the online place to the sizes at the vet. It would be a good idea to check the size the are supplying and tell the vet what size you want prescribing if you decided to go ahead.

The other thing I noticed was the size of bottle was different from the online place to the sizes at the vet. It would be a good idea to check the size the are supplying and tell the vet what size you want prescribing if you decided to go ahead.
I forgot to add that bit. Good point!

The vets should be fine with it. I remember doing this when my late Donald had itrafungol. I paid £20 I think for the prescription and around £40-50 for the medication. My vets would have charged £110 for the meds so it was a good saving

I have never had a problem getting a prescription for Metacam for dogs from the vet I think it's quite a common thing to ask for a prescription. Prescription charges vary at my old Vets4Pets a prescription cost £15. At my new Vets4Pets a prescription costs £10. The vets may wish to see Brownie again for a health check to make sure that they are happy to give a prescription. Just a quick word of advice if you do get a prescription. Make sure the Cascade wording is correct. As it isn't licensed for Guinea Pigs that has to be correct or else Vets UK or Animed or any online pharmacy aren't allowed to give it to you. I know this because it was missed out on my last prescription and it was a load of hassle getting it put right.
good points there - thank you.... The vet wanted a phone call follow up with her not being local to me and was happy with her progress... but never thought about the wording on the actual prescription!

I wonder if this has changed recently because I'm sure I've bought this online earlier in the year. I had a 10 ml bottle in a purple box and my vet has been dispensing from a large bottle into a vial for a while because it's cheaper so I can't have had it from them..?

Never had an issue getting prescription. Many vets/nurses actually say when it's cheaper online. However, you'll need to do your research and check if you'll actually save once prescription and postage charges are added. Plus, ensure it's correct size and also that they have it on stock. There's shortage of some metacam bottle sizes. I had a prescription for cat 3ml bottle recently and all online pharmacies were out until 2021!

I wonder if this has changed recently because I'm sure I've bought this online earlier in the year. I had a 10 ml bottle in a purple box and my vet has been dispensing from a large bottle into a vial for a while because it's cheaper so I can't have had it from them..?
I think the one I need is not the one in the purple box.. the one I have is for dogs.. will have a proper look once I have spoken to the vet again...

I found this post helpful as need longterm loxicom. The vet has given prices for a prescription. Does anyone know how recent a prescription has to be to buy online meds? Would I need to pay for a new one at the vets frequently? Thanks.

A prescription should last 6 months and once purchased you can use it four times. I have a long term Loxicom user and find it cheaper to buy online with a prescription. Don’t forget that Loxicom comes in several sizes so it’s better to ask your vet for a prescription for one of the larger ones so it lasts longer. I think they come in 32ml and 100ml as well as the smaller one you get from the vets.

Currently there is a shortage of Metacam and Loxicom in the UK. My vet can't get the 100ml bottles at all. They offered me a prescription if I could find it online but I couldn't. It's costing me a fortune as Mavis has to have it every day.

A prescription should last 6 months and once purchased you can use it four times. I have a long term Loxicom user and find it cheaper to buy online with a prescription. Don’t forget that Loxicom comes in several sizes so it’s better to ask your vet for a prescription for one of the larger ones so it lasts longer. I think they come in 32ml and 100ml as well as the smaller one you get from the vets.
The prescription I got said " this prescription for a controlled drug is valid for 28 days from the signed date or for any other drug for 6 months from the signed date " number of times this prescription may be repeated 0..

This was for Loxicom... it cost me £15 & I got it online and still saved about £13...

The prescription I got said " this prescription for a controlled drug is valid for 28 days from the signed date or for any other drug for 6 months from the signed date " number of times this prescription may be repeated 0..

This was for Loxicom... it cost me £15 & I got it online and still saved about £13...
The prescription I have says it lasts 6 months from date and is allowed three repeats. My written prescription cost £22 but I still save a lot buying it online rather than from the vet. I supposed every vets has their own way of doing things.🤷‍♀️

Currently there is a shortage of Metacam and Loxicom in the UK. My vet can't get the 100ml bottles at all. They offered me a prescription if I could find it online but I couldn't. It's costing me a fortune as Mavis has to have it every day.
Ive just bought 100ml bottle from 365VET online. Yes, wasn't easy to find.

Yes the script I got today was for one month only. And no repeats! Boo hoo. But yes still a saving on a big bottle.

Back