• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Getting prepared! Recommendations? 🌻

Wanda&Fam

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have been wanting to add a pair of piggies to our family for over a year now!

Me & my family recently visited a rescue by us, the lady there was super lovely & helpful & we got to make sure it was the right choice for us & now we are excited to prepare everything & see what pigs are avaliable late November time.

So I've done alot of research (I've found all the good piggy youtuber!) but would really love your recommendations 😊

I've decided on c&c with fleece. I've been looking at kavee - I like the stand but worried the coroplast is a bit short. & I've seen some bad reviews.

Good quality fleece liners & pee pads? Any etsy stores that are good quality maybe?

I do want a floor time area that I can easily pack away, I would like it big enough for me/my children to sit with them. I'm thinking just get the c&c grids from amazon to block off areas of the living room so they're mostly just free - any good ideas of what to put on the floor for a big area? (we do have carpet)

Anything else you/your pigs can't live without? 😊

Thankyou can't wait to be part of this community properly 💖

Hi everyone, I have been wanting to add a pair of piggies to our family for over a year now!

Me & my family recently visited a rescue by us, the lady there was super lovely & helpful & we got to make sure it was the right choice for us & now we are excited to prepare everything & see what pigs are avaliable late November time.

So I've done alot of research (I've found all the good piggy youtuber!) but would really love your recommendations 😊

I've decided on c&c with fleece. I've been looking at kavee - I like the stand but worried the coroplast is a bit short. & I've seen some bad reviews.

Good quality fleece liners & pee pads? Any etsy stores that are good quality maybe?

I do want a floor time area that I can easily pack away, I would like it big enough for me/my children to sit with them. I'm thinking just get the c&c grids from amazon to block off areas of the living room so they're mostly just free - any good ideas of what to put on the floor for a big area? (we do have carpet)

Anything else you/your pigs can't live without? 😊

Thankyou can't wait to be part of this community properly 💖
Hello and welcome!

It’s great to see that you have been taking time and doing the research to ensure piggies are right for you! They really do make wonderful pets!
For a cage a lot of people do use Kavee as it all comes together but I agree I have always thought the Correx looks short! I would recommend buying the grids from Amazon and then doing a DIY it’s not to challenging!

For Etsy there is a recommended list of Etsy stores thread so you should check that out! I have one myself called the little floof co my liners are done on a waiting list basis, but do check out the thread and have a look at all options!

As far as floor time goes block off is normally the easiest way of you want a large space, we use a shower curtain and cheap fleece blankets from IKEA over the top!

As far as other bits you’ll need some hides, find a good hay supplier (again there is a thread on that) I wouldn’t bother with chew toys but things like carrot cottages and hay cubes are a firm favourite with lots of forum pigs!

Welcome!
I always have correx higher than the kavee one because I don't like finding flying piggy poos out the cage 😊

I have a couple of these pet pens from ebay, which are lower and less bulky to store than c and c grids. C and C grids would work well though. The pen I have is fine as I don't have other pets or open doors, so in the unlikely event they jumped over it, there wouldn't be a problem. The 2 pens join together. Sometimes I make a big pen and sometimes I block off bits of the room using the pen fencing, and make a very big play area. Then I can sit and try to entice piggies to come to me with food. I used to put down a big blanket, but at the moment a puppy pad or newspaper with hidey on top somewhere in the pen area seems to be enough to catch any pees and poos, it depends whether you have a tidy piggy or a poop everywhere I go piggy.

Screenshot_20211022_140604_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Hi and welcome

Good that you are doing your research beforehand and that you are going rescue. The big post-pandemic pet dump is sadly in full swing. :(

You may find these two information collections both helpful and interesting for bookmarking, browsing, reading and re-reading at need:
Are Guinea Pigs For Me? - Wannabe Owners' Helpful Information
Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

As to our housing resources:
All About C & C Grid Cages Around The World
Members recommended UK and US sites for fleece cage liners and accessories
A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

Before you buy things, it is always worth running them past the rescue you want to adopt from and take their input on board; it is usually based on good/bad experiences they have made with piggies of theirs.
Here is the list of vetted good welfare standard rescues that we can recommend: Rescue Locator

Back