• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Gingerbread does not have long left

Pound Shilling & Pig

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
😭😭😭 I have mentioned my 18 year old cat Gingerbread on a couple of other threads in recent weeks, so some of you will know he has several medical conditions, the worst being his liver failure and has been living on borrowed time for several months now.
He has really started to wind down over the last couple of days, just wants to sleep and has stopped seeking me out to demand food. Yesterday he would only eat chicken, not his regular food and today he is not interested that either, so I braved the co-op on a busy bank holiday to buy him his favourite things and he has eaten a tin of gourmet gold pate I took to him:) but he is not eating or drinking enough and seems a little confused and the house feels so quiet without him coming to ask me for something. He just sleeps.
I spoke to the ooh vets earlier for advice re pts. Gingerbread is frightened of the car at the best of times and frightened of people he doesn't know, so they said as he is not in distress it is better to wait and see my regular vet (who we have been visiting every month for over a year) and I think so to. His monthly appt is booked for Wednesday but I will most likely be taking him tomorrow. I hate the thought of him being frightened at the end, before covid 19 I had made arrangements with my vet that (depending on circumstances) he would come out to pts at home to save my boy that final, fearful car journey. That is not possible now.
My heart is breaking, I love him so much. I know 18 is a good age but that is a long time to share your life with someone and doesn't take away the pain 😭😭😭

I’m so sorry for Gingerbread, it’s very sad watching a beloved pet fade away. try to make the most of your time together, give Gingerbread lots of calm strokes, cuddles and love. Sending you big hugs too X

I’m so sorry that things have progressed so quickly and that the lockdown will impact on your final visit to the vets. Big hugs.

I am so sorry you are going through this right now.
Gingerbread sounds like a very special boy.
Maybe if the vet can't come to you he can give you a heavy duty sedative that you can give Gingerbread at home to help him with the car ride?

So sorry. Making this decision is always heart breaking, even when you know it is for the best and made out of love.
Thinking of you and sending you massive hugs.xx

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this.thinking of you at this sad time.my cat Katie is 10 years old,had major surgery to remove mammory cancer,i was dreading loosing her,but if it has spread i would have had to PTS.It was an awful time to think she may not be here.
so i understand how much cats can be part of your life and family.take care,you will make any decision out of love.

Thank you all for your kind words.

Gingerbread has now crossed the rainbow bridge.

@eileen so glad Katie is still with you, I hope you have many more years together.

Ah,I'm sorry you have had to make that decision.you will be lost without him.a home is not a home without a cat.there are no words I can express for your loss.take each day as it comes,we are all here to support you.xx

Back