Going out Saturday night! But there's a down side...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MommaPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I haven't been "outout" in years. Did the whole clubbing thing a few times as a teenager...Found it to be terribly boring. I'm not a drinker, never have been...And never will be.
I'm just me. I like being sober, I like being indoors, I never have much reason to go "out" anymore.

But when some friends of mine suggested a night out, in fancy dress...Dedicated a week after Halloween just so we look like idiots...I was well up for it! I'm so excited!
But my dad doesn't seem to understand...He keeps telling me that I need to meet him by 11 if I want to walk home, if not then I need to meet him so he can give me money for a Taxi and I say "Well, I'll be heading home whenever everyone else has had enough." and he's all "But the busses stop running after 12!"

He just doesn't seem to understand...
I'm not a fool, I'm not going to walk home alone...It's only a 20 minute walk, it's all very well lit up and again...I'm not a fool.
I know what happens, girls walk home alone...They get attacked. I'm not naive. My friends will be walking me home. Infact, we're all walking into town from this general area of the city.

But still...My dad won't let go. He won't let me go and have fun. He's told me to keep my mobile on so he can call me. He wants me to "keep in contact."
Which is understandable...But my dads idea of contact...Is calling him every 30 minutes and I'm really not kidding! {:|

I love him to bits and I know he's worried because I'm not really the "going out" type but I am an adult, I have very good friends...All of which would NEVER let anyone lay a finger on me. They all know me, they know what I'm like, none of them would ever leave me on my own in town. The reason they made such a fuss is because they feel I need to get out and have some good'ol fashioned fun!
One of my friends is ONLY going out so they can "keep an eye on me" and make sure I'm safe.
That's how wonderful these people are.

My dad worries way too much.

I'm just venting, sorry. It upsets me a little that he won't let me go and have my moment. :(

Beautifulmess

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sometimes when I went out a while ago (don't as much for same reason as you, not a drinker) my mom rang me every 10 minutes throughout the night. He's scared of losing his baby :) Go out, prove him wrong (but dont rub his face in it) he's just scared of letting you do something that HE'S unused to :)

MommaPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sometimes when I went out a while ago (don't as much for same reason as you, not a drinker) my mom rang me every 10 minutes throughout the night. He's scared of losing his baby :) Go out, prove him wrong (but dont rub his face in it) he's just scared of letting you do something that HE'S unused to :)

Wow, I bet that was a bit of a downer.
I'm glad to know my dad isn't the only over-worried parent around, though. rolleyes

torieraa

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
All parents worry like this I think its programmed into them. If you went out a lot more he would be used to it but as its not such a regular occurrence he is probably just getting himself wound up.... you will end up acting exactly the same way as him some day

flintstones

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
My mum and dad used to say I couldn't live myself etc, etc. In the end they finally drove me away. I was gone for 3 years but now I'm back rolleyes!

Reaction score
It's ok I'm 24, married with a child and live in my own house but still my dad insists on picking me up at the end of the night and would sit and worry him self silly till i'm in the car. Now this great as i don't have to pay cab fare however i live literally 5 minutes walk from the club that i go to where as my dad lives a 35 minute drive from the club. I think its a parents perogative (sp) to worry and man does my dad use it lol, go out have fun but just text him every now and then to stop him worrying.

hope you have a fab night

MommaPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I see...So I have to put up with this? {:|

Oh well, at least I now know that my dad isn't the only one.
I was starting to think that maybe he was just slightly crazy but it seems to be normal. rolleyes

Reaction score
Hiya lovely,

I had something similar happen like this when I was a teenager. My mates and I would meet at my house, then walk to town, (about 10-15 mins) and when we were ready to come home, we just did.

Two of my friends lived an extra 5 mins away from my house, so they'd walk me to the door and then walk home, that was great.

My grandparents lived with me at the time and including my Mum and Dad, they all worried about me, (being an only child).

Bearing in mind that we didn't have mobile phones then, but they were pretty good and never stopped me from going anywhere, but the over worrying did worry me deep down, but it was just because they cared.

My Grandad, bless him, used to pick me and my mates up from a Disco (ooeerrrrr, lol), and wait outside in the car. Aww, makes me want to smile at that. We never fared out for a taxi.

I think for the time being, when you go out, just tell your Dad that you will text him or give him x5 rings on the phone, to let him know that you are ok. Just do it every couple of hours and just before you go home.

I know it's a mahooooooosive pain in the bum, but just do it for a short while, play it by ear and once he knows (in his mind), that you ARE PERFECTLY FINE AND SAFE when out with your mates, he WILL learn to relax more. Be patient and you will soon see that things will work out just right.

Good luck lovely.

Beth xx

slackalice2k

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Make the most of it, he won't always be there for you.

He cares and he needs to know you're safe. It's not a question of not trusting you, it's that he doesn't trust everybody else.

You are a very lucky person to have a dad who cares so much.

PS Hope you have a great night.

daleksarah

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
how old are you? to be honest i think at times it would be nice if someone cared about me :( but there again I'm very independent and would go mad at someone asking me what time I'm home etc

Status
Not open for further replies.