• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Going to the vet

Natalie H

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I made my first ever trip to the vets on Thursday as one of our boars (peanut) had a cloudy eye. I took the other one too (Oreo) so that I could have them both checked over while I was going. Peanut has a corneal ulcer so putting in eye drops three times a day (he’s not too keen but never mind!). We need to go back to the vets on Tuesday for a check up. My question is - will Oreo be ok left in the hutch for an hour on his own while I take peanut to the vet or should I take them both with me? When I type this it seems a daft question but I know they don’t like to be on their own so I would rather ask!

He will be absolutely fine but you can also take him along as a hand holding companion for peanut. I have done both before and generally call it dependent on the piggy and the problem (some have been more antisocial than others

No such thing as a daft question! Piggies find vet trips stressful so if possible take your other piggy if you can. If you feel that you can't, I'm sure the other will be fine.
Thank you. I think I will in that case.

He will be absolutely fine but you can also take him along as a hand holding companion for peanut. I have done both before and generally call it dependent on the piggy and the problem (some have been more antisocial than others
Thank you 🙏

I’ve taken a companion along sometimes, other times it’s just the one.
Sorry about the corneal ulcer.
Hope it heals quickly.
I was told at college that the only silly question is the one you don’t ask.

I’ve taken a companion along sometimes, other times it’s just the one.
Sorry about the corneal ulcer.
Hope it heals quickly.
I was told at college that the only silly question is the one you don’t ask.
Thanks for your reply. That’s a great piece of advice about the silly question! Bless him I know it’s horrible seeing them poorly isn’t it - the eye drops seem to be making an improvement so fingers crossed he’s on the mend. X

Thank you. I think I will do, although they seem to be a bit niggly with each other at the moment.

The only time I don't take in a friend is if the poorly pig might have to stay in for a procedure because for the other to see their cage-mate 'removed' and then for them to go home alone must be pretty stressful. Other than that it's a Grand Day Out! And often the vet will have a squizz at the companion as well free of charge! :tu:

I always bring both pigs to the vet. It comforts them and my guys get anxious and look for their brother when alone. Also bring some treats for them like veggies or a little bit of hay to nibble on. The vet is scary for my boys and having their brother is soothing!

The trip was quite a while ago. Veggies aren’t treats though...well not all anyway 😉

Back