• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Good Dog Breeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maisy and Poppy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

I have come to a conclusion that a Syrian hamster is not the best pet for my 7yr old daughter.

As we already have guinea pigs a dog might be a good idea.

Here is a bit about my life :
We live in a large house
We have a large garden
We would be able to walk the dog at least for 30 mins on weekdays and 1 HR or more on weekends or when no school.
My parents don't like dogs that drool, smell or shed fur.

I love Labradors!

What dog sounds the best?
Does a Labrador sound good for us?

Thanks!

Also what breeds get on we with guinea pigs and cats ( as we have several cats in the neighbourhood )

I think a dog would be good as you can play fetch as she would get bored with a cat or anything else.

We have 2 labs and one springer spaniel puppy! labs are my fave too (OBVIOUSLY:love:)
I would recommend a lab, my mum bought me one as a surprise when I was about 10. It was the best thing ever. I'm now 19 and we still have the best bond ever!

I would definitely recommend a lab, ours get on with our guinea pigs too!
Springers are very very bouncy and need lots of patience to train, as we are finding out! Lol.

Labs do shed, and can be very greedy but they are one of the sweetest dogs out there! I would reccomend that you make sure with whatever dog you do get that the parents had a good bill of health. Dogs can be very costly if something goes wrong! So make sure there insured, we saved 2,000 on an op one of our labs had to have just because they were luckily insured!

Here's a pic of Honey, the girl golden lab I got when I was 10! She's nearly 9 x:love:image.jpg

She is lovely!
When do you take get for walks and how long are they?
We have 2 labs and one springer spaniel puppy! labs are my fave too (OBVIOUSLY:love:)
I would recommend a lab, my mum bought me one as a surprise when I was about 10. It was the best thing ever. I'm now 19 and we still have the best bond ever!

I would definitely recommend a lab, ours get on with our guinea pigs too!
Springers are very very bouncy and need lots of patience to train, as we are finding out! Lol.

Labs do shed, and can be very greedy but they are one of the sweetest dogs out there! I would reccomend that you make sure with whatever dog you do get that the parents had a good bill of health. Dogs can be very costly if something goes wrong! So make sure there insured, we saved 2,000 on an op one of our labs had to have just because they were luckily insured!

Here's a pic of Honey, the girl golden lab I got when I was 10! She's nearly 9 x:love:View attachment 29491

I agree that the bond can be very strong with a dog as a pet. However they are very demanding pets.

They are years and years worth of commitment. There's a high risk she could get bored of a dog as quickly as any other pet.

Would she not like guinea pigs of her own?

Well I already have them so my Mum would not get more and she is not very interested. She moans about helping me to clean them out too!

Well I already have them so my Mum would not get more and she is not very interested. She moans about helping me to clean them out too!

Oh right okay. Well would the whole family be responsible for the dog? If so then that's good. I presume 7 year olds are not interested in very much for long! And Dogs are around for a very long time :)

I agree with @ayemee - also if she complains about having to clean out guinea pigs, its likely she will complain about having to clean up dog mess and also going out for walks in all weather, etc? You need to take into account vet bills too! Edit after seeing recent posts: if it's going to be a family pet who your parents are willing to take responsibility for even for your sister has lost interest, then that's good :)

Yes we would get insurance and I would be prepared to walk and clean up after the dog.

Hi,

I have come to a conclusion that a Syrian hamster is not the best pet for my 7yr old daughter.

As we already have guinea pigs a dog might be a good idea.

Here is a bit about my life :
We live in a large house
We have a large garden
We would be able to walk the dog at least for 30 mins on weekdays and 1 HR or more on weekends or when no school.
My parents don't like dogs that drool, smell or shed fur.

I love Labradors!

What dog sounds the best?
Does a Labrador sound good for us?

Thanks!

If your parents dont like dogs that drool, smell or shed fur, then a Labrador is not the breed of dog for you! They also need more than 30 minutes exercise each day once grown.

Thank you Amanda.
Does anyone know what type of dog would be good?
My Mum likes king charles spaniels.

Have you considered going to a rescue?They will be able to tell you about the different dogs they have and which would be suited to you and your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back