• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Grrr - Makes me so angry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score

Here are a couple of topics which I would like to get off my chest as they really really annoy me. I would love to hear about what you think too.

The "PERFECT" Guinea Pig

I have been reading some guinea pig websites today and it annoys me how people say they only produce "good quality" guinea pigs such as pure breeds. So do these people think that guinea pigs with markings in the wrong place on them are not good enough? Crater Head would not be classed as a "good quality" guinea pig then as she has white on her nose. I don't care about the breed of my guinea pigs or whether they have their markings in the correct place. I love my guinea pigs no matter what and would not discrimate against those that are not the "perfect" guinea pig.

The "Iresponsible Breeders

Another thing that annoys me about breeding at the moment is that a lot of people doing it are either 1) School Children 2) Hardly know anything about guinea pigs in general. Why can't children find a different way to earn money such as paper rounds instead of medling in the lives of guinea pigs.

Selling the Babies
Goggles was the only boar Crater Head had and just by separating him from Crater Head left me heartbroken so how can people breed guinea pigs and wreck the guinea pig's family?

Sows are not just "baby making machines". You would really frown at a couple having lots of children then selling them so why should sows be put through the pressure of pregnancy then the birth?

Also what profit are you making in selling the guinea pig babies? - They can't be making any profit so why do people do it? - Well I suppose its because like I said people want to get the perfect guinea pigs and don't care who they hurt in the process.

Grrr - I could go on and on about this so let me know what you think about it all

Same here love that it makes me angry.. These are just my thoughts;

I think many people find it an easy way of making money like you said, but it's these people that don't understand fully the consequences to the boars and sows that are reproducing. Quite often they don't even know how to look after them and/or even how to tell the sexes apart!

Shows often have a major effect on the look of a perfect guinea pig.. they need a certain colour in the right place and for hair to be a certain length. And if they don't then you lose points for them.. Ridiculous, but the way it is.

I have given babies awayin the past but only to friends and or family that I know will look after them as I have been struggling for space. All my (the girls) past pregnancies have been accidental. But not all people are the same as what yyou have seen or read..

Me -
I just love piggies! Any colour, any size, any sex, any anything!

It's the piggies I love that make them who they are.. They are all individual

xx Kelly xx

Exactly - you don't look for the "perfect" person. Its like saying that factors such as race, gender and others play an important part in how the perfect person should look. The first two guinea pigs I got were both pregnant and at the time my dad said we could not keep all the babies as we had gone from 2 to 11. It was the hardest thing having to split up Fluffy and Smartie's family so I don't know how some people can do it so easily. After that my mum got rid of my dad and since then had lots more piggies lol :)

But that's how people are these days.. They are so judgemental and bothered by race, sex anything different!

From a personal view I used to get it because I am in a wheelchair, but not so much since I got married to a 'normal' able-bodied person.

And thats the same for someone judging a piggie by its looks

It's life I'm afraid

I totally agree Ellie

Each piggie is individual and they each have their own little personality. I think its wrong for people to breed and sell Guineas and especially as most don't do a home check to see were the guinea is going to. Also some of these people don't know anything about piggies.

Each piggie is just as special as they each bring something different.

Thats my view ;D

Love
Claire
x

One of the things I most love about guineas are the different patches of colour on them

I tease Riffy about his one red leg but I love it really.
Scarby has a blonde armpit as well as one white paw and the white on the nose.
Rocket has three white feet, one black foot. The black foot is black and pink underneath!
Dr's coat was amazing - all colours of red, copper and gold, with a bright red patch behind one ear, and that fabulous buttery tummy.

I love all those colours!

when my hubby was a police officer one of his work collegues was a "breeder" he was quite knowdgeable about pigs, but had to have the perfect pig for showing, he was a hard man and told me some things I would never share with you, BUT he has now given up yah! :D his family life caught up with him if you know what I mean, he did have over 200 at one time along with rats mice and rabbits, I took as many off of him as i could because people tended to give him their no longer wanted pigs, I still have 2 of his, one a breeder pig and another Purdey was already pregnant. I have kept all her babies and have never ever and never would part with any of my babies I dont care how many pigs i end up with, they are my life, he did tell me I had bred some beautiful show pigs and could he have them, NO way mate they are safe with me for the rest of their life,
I do not begrudge breeding for good reasons other wise Pigs would just die out and become extinct what would become of us then, but do agree definalty not kids and if they are for showing as long as the ones "not perfect" as if thats ever the case, they have good homes like us lot, thats my view and after seeing how some breeders can be, I know that not all of them are like this , one friend I met through another now closed forum was a a wonderful breeder who won prizes but also kept her love of pigs and loved them every much as we all do so until you know, both sides its difficult to judge,
YES SOME BREEDERS WANT CASTRATING
NO NOT ALL BREEDERS ARE LIKE THAT AND ARE LOVING PIG MUMMYS
NO KIDS NEVER EVER BREED
ALL PIGS ARE BEAUTIFUL 3 LEGGED 2 HEADED OR EVEN BALD FULL OF LICE AND MATTY AS ANYTHING, TO US WE SEE THE WONDER UNDER ALL OF THAT AND SEE PERFECTION IN EVERY PIG,

That annoys me to when you have little kid saying 'yay I have 3 pregnant sows'' I just don't understand it I have had one pregnancy with Willow that was out of my hands as she was pregnant we got her. I could not bare to even think about giving up any of her babies so I kept them all.

As for breed I know all of my guineas are what they call 'pet class' but I don't really care, I bought them because of who they are not what they are. Not saying I would never buy a 'Prue breed' But i would only buy one if the grabbed my heart.

i agree. people think they are just another "pet". you give it water and food and thats it. i remember i went to north carolina on vacation and left my piggy with my ex-fiance's sister. what a mistake. she changed the water every two days, didnt let him out (this was my piggy that passed) and he just looked bored! never again!
piggies are special no matter what and should not be treated like nothing. they have feeling and they hurt just like us.

i wouldve taken him but i was seeing my god daughter and she was just born..
but it wont happen again with friends! only family cos they know princess almost like i do. my parents take care of her while I'm at work.

All animal life is special and sacred and should be treated as such. Those people just see them as a commodity rather than a wonderful creature who tugs at your heartstrings and can wind you around their little paws.
Kids breeding piggies is so so wrong but what are their parents doing about it? You can forgive a child a certain amount of ignorance but the parents there is no excuse for.
I know that I couldn't go through any of my animals being pregnant. I would have a nervous breakdown with the worry and then giving away the babies? I don't think so, they'd have to take me as well ;D
When I called the rescue I got George and Mildred from they offered to send me pictures of the ones they had available. I told them that I don't care what they look like I just want some piggies to cuddle and love. They were pleasantly surprised at my attitude. There were some really beautiful looking piggies at that rescue but I fell for the 2 most mismatched and mixed up (colour wise) because I felt an affinity with them. What do looks matter? They all have those soulful eyes and that adorable droopy bottom lip.
PIGGIES RULE ;D

oh the whiskers!

I tell you what I love - it's the undersides of their feet - so soft!

oh yes! and when they are really relaxed and they stretch out their feet all the way out... :)

Dr had such darling little ears. Riffy has huge satellite dishes, Scarby's stick up and Rocky's are massive for his size.

i think my princess's nails are prettier than mine sometimes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back