• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

guinea pig cyctitis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi I'm new here but I'm very glad I've found this forum. I'm hoping for some advice please.
I have a female guinea pig called Fifi who is three years old. She developed a sore rear end and it appeared infected and swollen so I took her along to a new vet in my area. He prescribed baytril and although her rear end now looks normal I think she now has cystitis.
She is crying out in pain and hunching herself up when passing urine. I took her back to the vet and he's prescribed a weeks course of flagyl (metronidazole), She's been having it for three days and doesn't seem any better. I took a urine sample to the vet today but he hasn't got back with the results.
I'm wondering if Fifi is on the right antibiotics? I'm a nurse and we always used trimethoprim for uti's.
I'm very worried and wondered if anyone has any fresh input.
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Sharon

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. My vet did mention septrin but didn't have any in stock so gave flagyl instead! I'm not very impressed to say the least and I'll go back to the vet tomorrow.
It's awful to hear my guinea pig cry out in pain and her urine is red with blood.
Thanks again you've been really helpful,
Sharon

If it is cystitis, your girl will do best with septrin, 0.5 ml twice daily. Please ask for some metacam too to help getting on top of the pain and inflammation. I have found that it helps bringing the painful stage of the UTI quicker under control and helps ease the intial painful stage.

Your vet seems to know his stuff, so please take his advice on board.

UTI can be very persistent and it may take more than one course of septrin to clear. I usually give it for at least three weeks to any of my piggies with a UTI problem.

You can also help by syringing unsweetened cranberry juice, pure or mixed with water. The more fluid you give, the better as it helps to flush out the bladder even though the peeing will be very hurtful at first. Dried or fresh dandelion can also help with that until symptoms ease; it's a mild diuretic.

If the symptoms, especially the pain and bloody urine, persist after the first few days, please have an x-ray done to check for bladder stones or slush as a possible cause.

Here is more information on UTI (cystitis):
http://www.guinealynx.info/uti.html
http://www.guinealynx.info/urine_scald.html
http://www.guinealynx.info/stones.html

thank you, your information is very helpful. Going back to vet today as I don't think the metronidazole is having any effect. Her urine is still blood stained and is now cloudy and blood stained when it was just blood stained before. She's also obviously in a lot of discomfort when passing urine.
This is the second course of antibiotics she's been prescribed. Baytril for 10 days and she's been taking metronidazole since Monday - do you think she should be showing signs of improvement yet? I think that perhaps she should.
I'm going to ask for septrin and really hope the symptoms will ease very soon.
Thanks again, your advice is greatly appreciated.
Sharon

personally if it was me i would be asking for the xray.

Also, has anyone advised you to give a probiotic? If not i would recommend that also.

Hoe your baby is ok x

Hi, no haven't considered pro biotic and must admit I haven't heard of this but will certainly look into it.
My vet has mentioned a scan? incase of kidney stones but I think he was hoping the antibiotics would work.
I'll post to let you know what the vet says.
Really grateful for all the advice I've been given here!

vet visit today

visit to vet went ok today. Changed antibiotic to septrin for 7 days and has given buprenorphine for pain relief. Vet didn't want her on metacam incase she already has kidney damage and said metacam could make this worse.
Really hope septrin will be effective if not an x-ray/scan is planned.
Keeping fingers crossed.

sorry to hear of your poorly piggie. Where are you located out of interest? If you would like any more advice please get in touch with Laura www.guineapighelpline.com who will be able to help too x

update

guinea boglet (as my little girl calls them) is doing well. She's been on septrin for a fortnight now and her urine has cleared. She's also eating and drinking well and has stopped crying out when she passes urine.
Going to vet on Tuesday for scan just to check but hopefully it's just a uti and nothing more sinister. I think she's going to be fine.
Just ordered a corner cage for my girls from Zooplus!
Happy guinea pigging to all!

So Glad to hear boglet is feeling much better :) you must be so relieved. The vet should be able to give an X-ray without anaesthetic to check she has no stones. She's going to love her new cage xx>>> xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back